Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water damage solutions?

• 16-09-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Hi i stupidly sat on a lilo on holidays a few days ago with my bill 5800 in my pocket. It was on at the time and was in my pocket so i had completely forgot it was there. Anyway water leaked into it and it hasnt turned on since(didnt actually fully get in the pool but water still gets onto those things)

If i bring it into 02 and say it stopped working would i have any chance? Ive no insurance and an 18 month contract :(

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

They'll know as soon as they take the back cover off, sorry! Handsets have a piece of cobalt chloride paper placed on the inside - basically a chemical which permanently turns a completely different colour as soon as it has been in contact with any form of moisture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Sounds like you have nothing to lose by opening it so why not? It is doubtful that you will revive it but you never know. I was successful with one phone and not successful with two others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Hi i stupidly sat on a lilo on holidays a few days ago with my bill 5800 in my pocket. It was on at the time and was in my pocket so i had completely forgot it was there. Anyway water leaked into it and it hasnt turned on since(didnt actually fully get in the pool but water still gets onto those things)

If i bring it into 02 and say it stopped working would i have any chance? Ive no insurance and an 18 month contract :(

Any other ideas?

Disassemble it (take out battery and remove removable covers, and leave it in a hot press for a few days. I've done this and get my friends/family to do it and I would describe it as having a 60% success rate.

Oh, and they'll know it was water damaged so they won't buy the "stopped working" thing! That excuse is mentioned more than once in the "THings you hate about working in the mobile industry" thread!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

If you do open it up you might want to remove any residue that the water left after evapourating. Stuff to use is Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) its sometimes sold as swtich cleaner (the online electroncs companies sell it but you should get it in you local chemists). The point is it normally doesn't do any damage is non conductive (water is hence the problem) and may help remove the conductive residue that is stopping the phone working. Try a small amount on a cotton bud to start with then once you see how it goes and you can get a bit bolder with it. If for example the keypad is one removeable component you can wipe it over with IPA. Warning - its very flammable.

Best advice would be to open it up and dry out for a day in a warm airing cupboard before you start cleaning.

I would remove all components that can be removed from the main board. I use alcohol as mentioned to wash away the green goo that settles on the components and shorts out the connections. I probably shouldn't but I use an old toothbrush to gently brush it away after soaking. A softer brush would be safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Thanks for the replies, i think its gonzo though :( I took the battery out an put it in a bowl of rice( hot press done nothing still in there though.)

Its 249 ready to g, if i put my sim in that would it work? or would i have to get it unlocked? not a biggie

I think I have seen them cheaper on adverts.ie sim free.

By the way, if you decide to bin the old one, I would take it off your hands. I have one and you never know when you might need spare parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 wmMagner

jordainius wrote: »
    Disassemble it (take out battery and remove removable covers, and leave it in a hot press for a few days. I've done this and get my friends/family to do it and I would describe it as having a 60% success rate.
    You shouldn't put any heat sorce like hot press/hair dryer or radiator near phone's or laptops to dry them out. it
    Can make it worse.just let them dry out at room temp for a few days.

wmMagner wrote: »
    You shouldn't put any heat sorce like hot press/hair dryer or radiator near phone's or laptops to dry them out. it
    Can make it worse.just let them dry out at room temp for a few days.

It's not like I said put it in the oven for half an hour or place it on top of a radiator. Put it in a hot press (i.e. the room/closet in most houses containing an immersion heater) so it is in a warm environment to facilitate a quicker "drying up" of the water in the phone.

Leaving it to dry out at room temperature could take weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shoescammer

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Hi i stupidly sat on a lilo on holidays a few days ago with my bill 5800 in my pocket. It was on at the
    hey atlas,
    in my experience if u put the phone in a bowl of porridge with raspberry jam the lumps in the porridge drain any excess water out of the phone, this only works for the nokia 5800 model though.
    If it doesnt work then you could just try robbing a new one? shops on grafton street especially are really easy to rob from. i went in there to "buy" something and when some dope was serving me i reached in behind the till and took out some cash, then i saw his mobile sitting next to the till so i dropped it in a paper cup of water! hillarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

hey atlas,
    in my experience if u put the phone in a bowl of porridge with raspberry jam the lumps in the porridge drain any excess water out of the phone, this only works for the nokia 5800 model though.
    If it doesnt work then you could just try robbing a new one? shops on grafton street especially are really easy to rob from. like the one opposite bt2s, i went in there to "buy" a pair of ladies boots and when some dope was serving me i reached in behind the till and took out some cash, then i saw his mobile sitting next to the till so i dropped it in a paper cup of water! hillarious

Nice to know you, pity you wont be here any longer,, Goodbye!!! :p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

hey atlas,
    If it doesnt work then you could just try robbing a new one? shops on grafton street especially are really easy to rob from. like the one opposite bt2s, i went in there to "buy" a pair of ladies boots and when some dope was serving me i reached in behind the till and took out some cash, then i saw his mobile sitting next to the till so i dropped it in a paper cup of water! hillarious
    what?

If you have nothing constructive to contribute, then please don't.

Consider this your first and final warning.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Kensington wrote: »
    They'll know as soon as they take the back cover off, sorry! Handsets have a piece of cobalt chloride paper placed on the inside - basically a chemical which permanently turns a completely different colour as soon as it has been in contact with any form of moisture.

5800 doesn't anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Can you hand in old phones as a trade in that wont work? I have this and a k800i. The 5800 is 249 in the 02 shop, will i be able to put my bill sim in or will i have to get it unlocked?

Advertisement