Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaining trust on a mistreated samoyed?

Options
  • 16-09-2009 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, I have recently taken in a 10 month old samoyed that was badly mistreated. Everytime I go to rub him he shys away before he lets me and if I lift my arm he thinks I will hit him. I know it wil take time for him to trust me but I was wondering if anyone has any tips? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Try not to stand over him, don't raise anything around him, don't move too quickly.
    Put your hand out level to him, let him sniff, move closer, pet and lots of praise.
    You can let him sniff things like cushions, maybe move them a little when he's close so he sees you moving them but not them being moved at him.

We had a dog who was badly mistreated but she was the sweetest soul ever.
    Our current eldest dog we reckon was hit with cushions or sweeping brushes as she'd scarper anytime we had one or moved one. We just had to have her close and lift the cushions a little, let her sniff them, reassure her. Slowly she got less skittery of such things. She still doesn't like the hoover but I think that's semi normal :)

Just take your time and be patient with lots of praise

• Registered Users Posts: 36 guinnessfan

We got a rescue dog three months ago. She too was also mistreated and very timid. She was very well behaved & house trained but if we tried to pet her or move too close she would either shy away or act aggressively - actually to the point of snapping at us

It really does take time. If your dog is really terrified of you...give him a small treat when you go to pet him, I found this worked really well when she shied away. When she was aggressive, we scolded her firmly and removed her toys but this did take a while.
    I know it might sound silly but try gentle movements. Don’t raise you hand too quick and use a comforting tone of voice when you are approaching him.

Best of luck with him!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Take your time and give him security first.
    Security means things like a dedicated space that's his to sleep and/or retreat where he's left alone, regular meal times and a clear routine.
    Praise everytime when he does something that is right and keep your disapproval clear, but low key (i.e. no shouting). generally try and keep a relaxed athomosphere.

Once he doesn't look quite so frightened anymore, make yourself interesting. The easiest way to do this is usually through food. Have some nice smelly pieces of cheese while sitting on the floor or in the grass and share them with him quietly. Let him be the first to make physical contact and don't force yourself on him.

That ...and lots of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

Get rid of your food bowl for the next week and hand feed your dog every piece of his dry food while incorporating reaching for the collar/ over head reaches. This will help to condition him to have a more positive association to hands in general and you approaching and reaching for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Great advice there from Peasant. You've a long road ahead of you OP, and it'll be a road dictated very much by the dog.

I have a male corgi who was abused, he's great now, really great, but even still hates men and really hates men with hats on. But he's come on so much and is nothing like the vicious scared animal he was when we first got him. Best of luck with it OP;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement