Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant, what do I do now?

• 16-09-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭

Ok, total newbie to this forum here. I came on expecting to find a Sticky on "So, I'm pregnant, what happens now?" to answer all my questions. I've done some googling and can't find a dummy's step-by-step guide.

I did a test (ok, 3!) and I'm four weeks and am trying really hard to get ahead of myself so I've only told the OH. I hope some of the experts here can help:

1. When do I go to the doctor? and what should happen when I do?
    2. When should I have my first scan?
    3. I want to wait until then to tell our families, just so I know everything is ok. Is this too late?
    4. What do you pay for and what is free? e.g. scans, consultants
    5. Anything else I should do?
    6. Anyone else think the sticky is a good idea?

Thanks in advance folks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

Hey dee ...first off congrats!

God I felt the same when I first found out I was pregnant. Fortunately for me I was at the doctors taking the test, so all of my questions were answered pretty easily!

First step: start taking folic acid now.

Go to the doctor as soon as you can. They say you should go to your GP as soon as you find out you are pregnant.

Your first scan really depends on where you live. I have a friend who is 2 weeks behind me down in cork and she had her first scan at 3 months. In dublin, where i am, you expect your first scan at 18-20 weeks. (Don't be surprised if you have to wait longer. I'm just about 16 weeks now and i havent even been seen by the hospital yet. Which is another good reason to see your GP asap..they'll help sort you out with the hospital. The sooner you call and book your first appointment the better. I didn't call till 10 weeks and I'm not being seen in the hospital till 17 weeks.)

Waiting to tell your families is perfectly ok. I told mine as soon as I could because of my situation, however a lot of people wait till they hit the 3 month mark so the fear of miscarriage is seriously diminished. I know of others who prefered to wait till 5 months. It's completely up to you when you want to tell people.

Payment is pretty simple.
    Public care is pretty much free. You can also have semi-private or private care, which would cost. With hospitals so backed up you'll most likely have joint care with your GP and the hospital. (the GP checks up on you more regularly for some of the smaller things, and can send you on in to the hospital if s/he feels it is necessary.) With joint care you go on something called the mother and child scheme which entitles you to free GP care for all of the necessary check ups and appointments.

Those are really the basics. Like I said...as for other advice do start taking folic acid asap, and get in to your doctor as well. They will be able to answer all of the questions you may have and give you an idea of what will be in store for you with care in your area.

All the best! (and congrats again!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Hi! Congrats :-)

You'll need to go see your GP. He'll make you do a test again to confirm the pregnancy and have a chat about hospitals and public/private/etc.
    You'll need to call the hospital of your choice and book a place (they should give you a BRN number).
    You'll also need to book a scan for around 20 weeks. If you're public that is all you get unless something is wrong. I think in Holles st. you can book a scan at the same time as getting a BRN, but not certain. They'll give you a phone no. anyway.

Your 1st appointment is normally 12 weeks (again, unless something's wrong). I'm doing combined care with GP and Community Midwives, so I've seen a midwife at 12 weeks, GP at 16 and having a scan at 20.

I also found this very helpful:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/before-your-baby-is-born

---
    oh and haven't told family yet (around 18 weeks now).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ebmma - your as bad as me I only told them at 18/19 weeks.

Congrats - deemark.
    Most hospitals have websites and have the info relating to charges etc there,do not panic if your 1st scan is not until 20 weeks though as it appears ot be quite normal going public in Dublin.
    Telly our family when you feel ready to:)
    rollercoaster.ie is a great website for discussing pregnancy related stuff and for getting info,there will also be a board of people due the same time as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

I dont have any advice as I havent been pregnant yet myself but I just wanted to say Congratulations!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Thank you all so much for the good wishes and help! I can't believe I know so little, guess I should've been paying more attention to my friends when they were pregnant!

Tbh, I wasn't expecting it so quickly, I've only had 2 periods since I went off the pill. I have been taking the folic acid though, just in case, glad I did now!

I'm in the North-west so hope I can get a scan as early as three months. I've seen two friends go through miscarriages and I'm really cautious about telling people too early. Can you get an earlier scan if you have health insurance? (I know, I know, I should read the policy, but they're bloody hard to figure out)

Gonna book a doc's appointment asap so.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Congrats!

We've been reading the 'What to Expect' book, and it's really great.

Try and get your hands on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hi deemark

did you try looking in the thread at the top of the forum which is called
    Helpful sites, informations and contacts.

It has a listing of all the maternity hopsitals in the country and a heap of information on rights and entitlements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

yeah just want to back up dublin writer. I bought two books when I found out I was pregnant...what to expect is gold...really helpful!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

This might be a stupid question, and I hope it doesnt offend anybody, so please forgive my ignorance, but....... when is a miscarraige a miscarraige? After how many weeks can you say for sure its a miscarraige and not just a really late period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

This might be a stupid question, and I hope it doesnt offend anybody, so please forgive my ignorance, but....... when is a miscarraige a miscarraige? After how many weeks can you say for sure its a miscarraige and not just a really late period?

A pregnancy that doesn't progress after a positive pregnancy test. Without a positive pregnancy test, a late period could just be a late period.

A miscarriage can occur anywhere up to 24 weeks gestation, but the greatest risk is during the first 12 weeks

• Advertisement
Advertisement