Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

character reference check up

Options
  • 16-09-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

just to let yous no
    the lad i put down on the character reference in the firearm application form got a phone call from the gardai
    they just asked him did he know me and what type of a lad i was etc
    so it might help to put a name down of a person who will vouch for ya ,
    because the chances are they will be checking up

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

endasmail wrote: »
    just to let yous no
    the lad i put down on the character reference in the firearm application form got a phone call from the gardai
    they just asked him did he know me and what type of a lad i was etc
    so it might help to put a name down of a person who will vouch for ya ,
    because the chances are they will be checking up
    Would anyone be stupid enough to do otherwise? :confused:

I would have thought that a basic requirement of anyone named as a referee would be that they would know and vouch for the applicant, and had given their consent to be named on the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Rovi wrote: »

youd be surprised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

I would have thought that a basic requirement of anyone named as a referee would be that they would know and vouch for the applicant, and had given their consent to be named on the application.

its a load of crap that ,who is going to vouch for your character reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

You would be surprised. It would be a great practical joke to pull on a buddy,have the Fuzz ring you to ask about him and you tell them hes a ringin C**t. Its a bit like something Id do for the crack. And then put them straight that it was just a mess. Not sure how it would end up though,youd need a fairly humourous Kop to make light of it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jwshooter wrote: »
    its a load of crap that ,who is going to vouch for your character reference.
    Quite a few would vouch for Rovi I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Sparks wrote: »
    Quite a few would vouch for Rovi I think.

if you think about its ,who do you get a bishop, parish priest,local politician,local cop,teacher,etc are the all above reproach.

if your a member of a reconised club this should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

if you think about its ,who do you get a bishop, parish priest,local politician,local cop,teacher,etc are the all above reproach.

A Scout master is a good choice...I believe. :)
    Plenty of Gardai are into shooting too and even they can't use fellow members as referees. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i used a vet i work with and doctor i know. both are aware i am using them as charchter references.i didnt actually think they would be calling these people though.

"should be" and nearly three euros will get you a half-way decent espresso. Welcome to modern Ireland. Got your €34,000 ready to pay for NAMA yet*?

And if you're a member of a club, then surely those running the club will sign the licence for you. I mean, they let you join, so they think you're of good character (if they didn't, they'd be in breach of the Club SI and liable for hefty fines and jail time). And if they won't sign, well, why are you paying them?

*author may be annoyed at third parties for throwing economy out the window...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

stevoman wrote: »
    i used a vet i work with and doctor i know. both are aware i am using them as charchter references.i didnt actually think they would be calling these people though.

thats the actual point hear
    i certainly didnt think that the gardai would be making phone calls
    but then again ya never no what to expect from them

• Advertisement

It's definitely not what we got told officially by the DoJ would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

The Ryan Report rules out most bishops & many priests; we all know what politicos are like; gardai are excluded as referees, so only the teacher would do. Bring an apple to school!;)
    My forms went in today.
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »

*author may be annoyed at third parties for throwing economy out the window...

NAMA doesn't really exist you know, it should actually be called VAMA or VNAMA :D

Back on topic ;)

A Club member and a family member are what we're recommending to our members and definitely people who know you own a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

pedroeibar wrote: »
    The Ryan Report rules out most bishops & many priests; we all know what politicos are like; gardai are excluded as referees, so only the teacher would do. Bring an apple to school!;)
    My forms went in today.
    P.

read the garda commissioner guidelines. it sais that you shouldn't use two family members, but one is OK. Nothing about respectables. I am putting down two mates who are informed.

Advertisement