Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N13 lane closure

Options
  • 16-09-2009 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Two lanes of the N13 North of Letterkenny were closed today without warning.

I drove mile after mile before I saw anyone working; this is not the first the lanes have been closed without good reason.

What is it about this road that motorists can be inconvenienced for no good reason? I know that the the troglodytes (sorry, engineering staff) of Donegal County Council will cite "staff safety" as an excuse but as other councils can manage work without closing miles of road why can't they?

I know that the council staff are sensitive souls - well the County Manager thinks so
    "Also in 2006 the Garda reopened its investigation into the death. However, the co-operation of I]Donegal[/I senior council staff was withdrawn on instruction from Mr McLoone as it was “felt by the council to be an oppressive and unfair procedure” according to Mr McCloone."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/
    :ireland/2009/0611/1224248613000.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Are you talking about the dual carriage way, one lane was closed on monday when i was on it and only from the Trimragh junction, hardly miles and miles.

But possibly your talking about different roadworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

They were closed on Tuesday too for some Cable laying in the Central Reservation, noticed the same company were doing something in Lifford too. Its a small operation it seems only a few men but I'd say Health and Safety now seem to require lanes to be closed anyway.

Reminds me of when they resurfaced between Donegal and Ballyshannon a few years ago and had huges stretches closed even though only working on short parts at a time and with speed limits too.

Think its more to do with the workers safety than how big a job it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I think its because all the signs they have are for MAJOR ROADWORKS AHEAD and so they have to make them look big.. dont think I ever saw a sign saying Minor Roadworks Ahead. Yeah that must be it. Have to make the roadworks match the signs !!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Theres gonna be roadworks there for 7 weeks as they are putting down cables for something. Im pissed off as they had the whole summer to do this and wait to start the same day the colleges are back and the roads are alot busier. Serious lack of common sense. I counted 11 workers in total

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

The signs say it is for Project Kelvin (http://www.donegalcoco.ie/council/press/January-09/pressprojectkelvin.htm) and the roadworks will last for 10 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nmg-lky

it may be a pain on the neck but hopefully project Kelvin will attract more business to the northwest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

On a related note, will this mean potentially faster broadband for home users, or will it only benefit business users?

Advertisement