Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV NZ - restrictions

Options
  • 17-09-2009 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I know this was discussed before but I can't find the thread. Have moved to NZ on a whv. I understood that you could take up a job for up to 12 months. Have been trying to confirm this but can only find something that says you can only work for one employer for maximum 3 months :eek: which I'm certain isn't right. Can't get through to immigration. We're trying to get full time work as hope to stay for at least a year. Have a part-time job already but just want to make sure that when I have interviews that I'm actually correct in saying that I could stay with them for up to 12 months. I know the whole idea of WHV is more holidaying than working but we would try to get residency if things work out workwise. Also how soon should we look for residency. Thanks. Oh and people have already told me that they think I'm scottish and my accent isn't v. strong. Trying to bite my tongue when people keep talking about me being from the UK although it is hard when you correct someone and they keep going on about it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You can work in NZ on a WHV for 12 months with one employer.
    Are you in the North Island?

If you are looking into residency look into it NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

jank wrote: »

If you are looking into residency look into it NOW!
    thinking about this myself. Why do you say do in now? is there a limit or does it take really long?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

Yep have moved to the Bay of Plenty. You? Must get my act together and figure out how to go about getting residency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

WHV is not a route to Permanent Residence. Its a visa designed for you to come fart about for a year then go home.

Hence the 3 month work restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

unless theyve changed it though,t here isnt the 3month work restriction.

and heh, it worked as a route for watna :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

unless theyve changed it though,t here isnt the 3month work restriction.

and heh, it worked as a route for watna :pac:

Doh yes sorry meant Aus ... and watna well she's special :)

In all seriousness yes it sometimes does work out but chances are you have to be on the skills list, even to be sponsored.

With residency you will need to be on the skills list or if you are lucky enough to be in a job that can to a work to residency visa.

My husband is working full time and has been offered the position in a permanent capacity. For work to residence can it be any company that can do this or is there only certain companies that can do it or be accredited?

Also, has anyone looked into buying property in NZ. We are thinking of buying a house here but wondering if we can whilst still on WHV.

kizzyf wrote: »
    My husband is working full time and has been offered the position in a permanent capacity. For work to residence can it be any company that can do this or is there only certain companies that can do it or be accredited?

Also, has anyone looked into buying property in NZ. We are thinking of buying a house here but wondering if we can whilst still on WHV.

Only some employers are on the list.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/worktoresidence/LinkAdministration/ToolboxLinks/AccreditedEmployersList.htm?level=1

Buying a house is something I really doubt you can do on a WHV. After all its a limited visa for the duration of 12 months.

Actually I think you can but doesn't give you any more rights to live in NZ.
    http://www.nzembassy.com/info.cfm?c=45&l=115&CFID=14532744&CFTOKEN=28161488&s=go&p=62972

Of course I doubt very much a kiwi bank is going to give you a mortgage unless you have a stack of cash in a bank to pay for a house outright. I wasn't even able to get a credit card or a debit card on my WHV so I dont think they are going to loan me $300k for a house.

Look after your visa first, house second.

• Advertisement

Thanks Jank you really are so helpful. I couldn't find that list on the website.:o The company that he works for is owned by an accredited employer so that looks more hopeful. Yeah have feeling getting a mortgage would be pretty difficult as we couldn't get credit card with our bank either. We would be putting a lot of our own money that we will free up in Ireland into the purchase but don't think it would be easy to find fincancing for the balance.

Advertisement