Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sounds That Grate

• 17-09-2009 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Here is one phobia that many of us share even if we don't think about it on a day to day basis and it is one of those things that I guarantee the moment you pause to think about it, it will send a shudder through your body. What am I talking about? It is those shrieking friction noises we all come across on a daily basis.

Just imagine you are still at school and the teacher picks up a fresh piece of chalk to write on the blackboard. However instead of producing the familar sound of chalk tapping in rythem to the writing flow, the chalk issues a loud screeching sound that sets one's teeth on edge. The same human response is produced by your three year old who is frolicking in the bath when he or she magically discovers the property of sound that can be produced by scratching one's nails across the surface of the enamel.

That is a sound that delights the young but can cause terror in the rest of us. If you have found yourself displaying a physical reaction to just reading these words, then dear reader, I guess you have the phobia too.

If you want to entertain the world with your personal experiences on surface friction screams, now is your chance to achieve fame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

Among other sounds that make me cringe is the sound of someone singing off key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Cuttlery squeaking on plates for me.

Indeed if you tune out all other sounds in a restaurant, the screeching cutlery and plate tapping can get to you

scraping a fingernail over an enamel bath makes me shiver, even to think about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

The sound and feel of wooden ice pop sticks against teeth.

I'm shuddering even at the thought of it.

• Advertisement

Sounds that grate with me include off key singing, best enjoyed standing outside a hotel ballroom where a wedding reception is taking place listening to the best man trying to deliver a rendition of Englebert Humperdink's 'Please Release Me', or some drunken Karaoke King trying to better Tom Jone's 'Delilah.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Oh gosh I have those too... even the thoughts of the wooden stick against my teeth ooooh they feel like curling.

I can't stand the sound of someone scratching jeans, even typing it made me flinch!!
    Or nails against certain materials, I can't bear it. Like canvas or similar. *Shudder*

Screeching brakes are another of my pet hates, especially on buses because they seem so much louder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Cheryl Cole's voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

watna wrote: »
    The sound and feel of wooden ice pop sticks against teeth.

I'm shuddering even at the thought of it.

christ, i thought i was the only one. All ice creams are eaten with the wrapper wrapped around the stick...i can't even touch it!

• Advertisement

Actually I used to chew the wooden stick as a kid (after I'd eaten the ice cream). Strange, I know. But the ice cream issue never affected me at all. However if perchance a small piece of foil paper from a Cadburys chocolate happened to enter my mouth and touched my teeth, it would send me into orbit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

and the rest of the world...foil on teeth not good for anyone

One final contribution for this evening. One sound that makes my teeth grate is that of someone twisting polystyrene foam. You know the sort of stuff that is often used to line wallpaper or can be found in abundance inside the box of any new product. Ugh that gives me goose bumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

YEah I know the noise you mean, I'm semi ok with it, I know a friend of mine can't bear the noise of cotton wool being pulled apart seriously, drives her mental.
    She's afraid of sponges too, the sight/feel of them make her ill. And velvet will make her throw up.

That is interesting. The one thing that this thread has revealed is the diversity of trigger things that set our teeth on edge. Wow. Keep them coming folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Writing with chalk (either seeing it or doing it) and those tongue depressors made of wood the doctors use.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 photogirl

Cotton wool only the ball ones for some reason and the sound of people scaping their dinner off their fork with their teeth and people who jangle change in their pockets...............Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

The black board thing I could live with.

Ooh I can certainly relate to the pinging of forks against teeth while eating. Oh that sets me off - probably the same people who feel it is cool to wave their forks around in front of them while eating in public. Disgusting. I was eating lunch in the national Gallery one day when someone tossed potato salad over me doing just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

For me it's the sound of toothbrush/paste ads... *shudders* :confused:

Some of the toothpaste brands with special whiteners appear to do that. When your teeth are really clean and you rub your finger across the front of them, the sound/vibration can go right through you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

The thought of folding a towel and trying to chew it! Makes me shiver and gag.

The thought of getting a fork between your teeth while eating.

The thought of biting a wooly jumper!

Eating sand.

Ow I can relate to the fork thing. Actually several people have mentioned the sensation of cloth etc but it never bothers me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Casei11

the squeeky noise from cutlery on a plate-horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Grates on the ears, the eyes and the bloody nerves.

Neonjack wrote: »
    Grates on the ears, the eyes and the bloody nerves.

Um I put that up there along with The Sound of Music, Carry On Cruising and Star Trek - The Movie - comes out every year at this time

Advertisement