Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature removed

Options
  • 17-09-2009 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me why my sig was partly removed? It was clearly within the rules.
    It wasn't offensive, it was a quote. Surely if this quote was deemed offensive then the poster of said quote should have been reprimanded?:confused:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

They should at least spell 'quote' right when they're amending your sig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

your not aloud quotes. so your clearly not reading the rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Tallon wrote: »
    your not aloud quotes. so your clearly not reading the rules

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=547710&postcount=1

Am I missing something?
    It was an image of a quote so I didn't use the quote tags.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

aDeener wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=547710&postcount=1

Am I missing something?
    It was an image of a quote so I didn't use the quote tags.

Lulz :)

This common sense rule applies - yeah it's an adverts rule but I'm too lazy to find the boards equivalent.. it does exist though.
    Note: If you think these rules bind the moderators hands, think again. The moderators have discretion to react and moderate as they see fit in the best interests of the site. You can challenge a decision using Adverts.ie Helpdesk, but don’t think for a moment you can use the guidelines above to find some semantic loophole to excuse your behaviour (people who do this are known as “rules lawyers” and are seen as a small step above trolls). It’s not going to work. The spirit of the rules is more important than the wording of the rules on Adverts.ie and our guidelines can and will change if and when there’s need.

Steve wrote: »
    Lulz :)

This common sense rule applies - yeah it's an adverts rule but I'm too lazy to find the boards equivalent.. it does exist though.

Talk about moving the goal posts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

if you had it wrapped in quote tags, that's against the rules

feylya wrote: »
    if you had it wrapped in quote tags, that's against the rules

I didn't use the quote tags, that's the point I was making

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

And the point I was trying to make was that sigging an image of a quote to get around the 'no quotes' rule was always going to fail. This isn't a democracy where rules are followed pedantically, it's a benevolent dictatorship where thankfully common sense can overrule any posted rule in the best interests of the community.

And the point I was trying to make was that sigging an image of a quote to get around the 'no quotes' rule was always going to fail. This isn't a democracy where rules are followed pedantically, it's a benevolent dictatorship where thankfully common sense can overrule any posted rule in the best interests of the community.

Why have rules then? I'm not arguing with you, it would have been courteous if I had got a pm regarding it.

Why have rules then? I'm not arguing with you, it would have been courteous if I had got a pm regarding it.
    Only admins can change your sig. I've no idea who did it and I'm not going to speculate as to their reasons but they generally don't (or have the time to) explain each and every case via pm.

Look, you've admitted to having a quote in your sig - albeit a picture of a quote - but a rose by any other name is still a rose etc..

Site rules are more like guidelines that everyone is expected to follow - thet're not absolute and trying to pick holes in them to justify something that is not in keeping with the spirit of the site is always going to be doomed to failure. :)

• Advertisement

Only admins can change your sig. I've no idea who did it and I'm not going to speculate as to their reasons but they generally don't (or have the time to) explain each and every case via pm.

Look, you've admitted to having a quote in your sig - albeit a picture of a quote - but a rose by any other name is still a rose etc..

Site rules are more like guidelines that everyone is expected to follow - thet're not absolute and trying to pick holes in them to justify something that is not in keeping with the spirit of the site is always going to be doomed to failure. :)

Thanks for explaining that :)

Thanks for explaining that :)
    You're welcome.
    Glad to help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Jesus Steve, talk about singing straight out of the Moderator BS Hymn Sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

When making a point you should really let us know the facts.
    To me the term 'quote removed' means that you had a quote there before. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You obviously thought that quote tags were simply banned for some technical reason. Well they're not, the reason is that people were abusing and winding up pthers others with quotes, bith real and fabricated. So all quotes are banned. Common sense applies that its still against rules. Just like posting a picture of a abusive words is going to be against rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Rb wrote: »
    Jesus Steve, talk about singing straight out of the Moderator BS Hymn Sheet.
    Rb, what Steve said was correct so there's no need for the snide remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

feylya wrote: »
    that's against the rules

So is having more than 8 lines of small text :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭NiPoker

how many posts are required to get a sig? i cant find out anywhere

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

25, as far as I'm aware.

Also, you can ask this type of question in the Help Desk under the Sys menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭NiPoker

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement