Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of going to Galway next week. Any advice ?

Options
  • 17-09-2009 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I fancy hitting Galway next week for a night or two. Is the Travelodge a decent place to stay ? It's €49 a night in Europe's dearest city for hotels. Is the Travelodge close to the centre ? The only thing (cheap) hotel-wise that bothers me is cleanliness and location - need clean bed and a clean shower as well as not too far away from the spots. Is there a local bus service ? I'd be getting either the Citylink or Bus Eireann bus down so I'm assuming that'll leave me at a bus station or something . Could I get closer to the centre for the same money or less ?

Cheers

Oh and is there much happening of a Wednesday evening ?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

All Travelodges are the same and perfectly meet your demands they do the basics very well and the Galway one is brand new shipped in from somewhere that can make good buildings so I'd assuming it's a good one.

It's a bit outside the centre, 10-15 minutes, it's on a fairly busy road heading out to Tuam. The eye cinema is just around the corner about a minute walk, there's also an eddie rockets in there and two caffe type places. Just across the road from the cinema is another bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I'd rather recommend some B&B than hotel. Prices for rooms in galway are from different planet, while B&Bs have lots to offer. Some of them are really spacey with very modern furniture with big screen on the wall, digital television, free internet etc. Twice cheaper than hotels and lots of locations to chose between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

ScumLord wrote: »
    All Travelodges are the same and perfectly meet your demands they do the basics very well and the Galway one is brand new shipped in from somewhere that can make good buildings so I'd assuming it's a good one.

It's a bit outside the centre, 10-15 minutes, it's on a fairly busy road heading out to Tuam. The eye cinema is just around the corner about a minute walk, there's also an eddie rockets in there and two caffe type places. Just across the road from the cinema is another bar.

Being the jackeen that I am I love my buses. How does one get 15mins from city centre to the hotel ? Is there a local bus or something ? I'm assuming taxis are an option but they scare me. Well, the cost does.
    WooPeeA wrote: »
    I'd rather recommend some B&B than hotel. Prices for rooms in galway are from different planet, while B&Bs have lots to offer. Some of them are really spacey with very modern furniture with big screen on the wall, digital television, free internet etc. Twice cheaper than hotels and lots of locations to chose between.

Any suggestions for B&Bs ?

I wouldn't know about buses but it's a straight line into town, no directions necessary just head down one road.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

There is a bus stop at the roundabout the travellodge is beside and about 3 or 4 routes go through that stop on their way to town but if it is a fine day your aswell to walk it. It does only take about 15 mins and if you get particularly thirsty there are a few bars to stop off in on your way into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Being the jackeen that I am I love my buses. How does one get 15mins from city centre to the hotel ? Is there a local bus or something ? I'm assuming taxis are an option but they scare me. Well, the cost does.

Any suggestions for B&Bs ?

All you never wanted to know about the local buses: www.GalwayTransport.info

I don't think Travelodge is listed under "How to get to popular places popular places" (yet ;) ), but the area is served by these buses which leaves from Eyre Square:
    #3 - Ballybrit, 2e - Lisbeg Lawn, 4e - Merlin Park, 5e - Ballybane, 2x4e (nights) - Lisbeg Lawn + Merlin Park.
    Get off at the bus-stop just before the roundabout: it's the 2nd stop after the bus reaches the cemetery (on the right hand side). Cross the roundabout and go along the same road that the bus does (3rd exit from the roundabout). Travelodge is on the right hand side of the road.

See the City - Details page on the site for a link to the timetable and route map.

All that said:

Eye Cinema et al is close, but I"d call it 5 minutes rather than 1. Even then, its the edge of the city, not the centre, and if you look out the front door you won't see anything appealing. I would suggest elsewhere too. www.hostelworld.com has some B&Bs listed, with reviews from people who've stayed there. And depending on what nights you want, you may be surprised at what rate you'll get in some of the city-centre hotels too, on whatever your favourite hotel booking system is.

And re Wednesday night, yes: Galway has events on every night! Recommendations will depend on your tastes in music/entertainment, but rest assured, we always have something to offer. (sheesh, I sound like a tourist brochure).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

You wouldn't need a bus from Eyre Square (bus station) to the travel lodge at all, it's a 10/15 minute walk max. To get to it walk to the top of Eyre Square and turn right, then keep going, you hit a roundabout, go straight through it and you're there. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'd be getting either the Citylink or Bus Eireann bus down so I'm assuming that'll leave me at a bus station or something .
    Being the jackeen that I am

If you're coming from Dublin I would get the GoBus. It's non-stop from Dublin City to Galway Coach Station. It's as fast as the train, has a toilet and free WiFi.

CityLink and Bus Eireann will take a lot longer because they stop a good few times on the way and don't use as much of the motorway as GoBus.

GoBus and CityLink will leave you at Galway Coach Station which is just around the corner from Eyre Square and is only 30 seconds from Ceannt Rail and Coach Station where Bus Eireann would drop you off.

You wouldn't need a bus from Eyre Square (bus station) to the travel lodge at all, it's a 10/15 minute walk max. To get to it walk to the top of Eyre Square and turn right, then keep going, you hit a roundabout, go straight through it and you're there. Simple as.

I agree that you don't need a bus, provided you're fit and able for walking, don't have a heavy case, and it's not raining.

In the unlikely event that this isn't true .... check out this helpful page.

And unless you're super-fit, I'd call it a 15 minute walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Shanley wrote: »

I'd go with this one if I were you. Right in the city, great food and the owner seems pretty nice

Hostels shouldn't be overlooked as accommodation. I think their single rooms can be expensive compared to travelodge but the craic is much better and you'll have to try not to make friends, being Irish in an Irish hostel is quite rare so everyone will want to be your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I found this new place www.eyresquaretownhouse.com
    Don't know if it's good but it's on top of Revive, which has great sandwiches and is very central.

Thanks folks. Just need to get a bleedin' email or something for Travelodge cause I don't know what kind of payment they're accepting on arrival. Read some reviews on tripadvisor that they only accept credit cards (I only have a Laser).

Citylink seem to say it takes 2hours Dublin - Galway and that gobus crowd say it's 3hrs. Confusing timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd second gobus. It takes 3 hours tops and leaves from opp Custom house on Southside of Liffey.

Citylink is grand for interim towns, but takes the bones of 4 hours.

Irish rail have tenner each way fares, but depends on which train you get. Go in to site, and try diff options and hit 'check fare'. Sometimes I prefer the train, particularly if I am in a daydream mode! Gobus is the norm tho!

B and Bs in Lower Salthill are good too, and just a stroll into town.

Travelodge don't accept cash, but I'm pretty sure that they do take laser though. Ring their central reservations line, 'cos they're part of a chain, they don't publish individual site phone numbers :(

Can anyone tell me actually where Galway City's "centre" is please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

The centre is eyre square... Accomodation I'd recomend are
    1 The western located just off eyre square was very reasonably priced last time I stayed
    2 Imperial hotel located slap bang in centre of town...
    You wouldn't have to anywhere else... Enjoy your stay!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Stay in a hostel. Great way to meet people. Nearly guaranteed a good night.

Advertisement