Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal Activity

Options
  • 17-09-2009 1:52am
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone seen the trailer for Paranormal Activity? Looks genuinely scary.

Hell just the trailer gave me the creeps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Hmmmm...I'm left cold by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Looks something along the lines of The Blair Witch Project

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kelly7589

I'm looking forward to seeing this it's had some great early reviews already!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmmm; looks a bit weak to me: UV cameras + random bangs & noises. Hardly ground breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Looks great. I remember the trailer being released about 18 minths back and was then pulled when Paramount got involved. Hopefully they didnt ruin it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

They wanted the original ending changed because they thought it was too brutal and way over the top.Not too sure if this one being released is the edited version or if it actually went ahead.Its been getting great reviews though even if it has been edited, the blair witch comparisons are fair enough because of the way it was shot but from what I've heard this is supposed to be far superior story wise and on the production of the effects.The trailer was going to be dodgy because of the nature of it because they don't want to really give anything away in it.I for one can't wait to see it, hopefully the initial run will do well and a we might actually get it released in the cinemas over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I dont like scary movies :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

this looks like it could either be really innovative or a pile of poo. Given its limited release, something tells me that its a pile of poo but I really hope Im wrong!

Only 14 people in Ireland want to see it apparantely! (According to their website!)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Yeah the version screening now in America has had its ending changed, so if its ever released here that's what we'll see.
    Considering that its nearly 2 years since the original release it's probably going to be a long time before it's released here, even then it will more than likely go straight to DVD. Hopefully there will be a collectors edition with both versions of the ending.
    On the other hand, Dreamworks have bought the rights to remake the film, so I wouldnt be surprised if they did everything they could to bury this release.

The critic reviews have by and large been very very good, so Im looking forward to seeing this movie.
    I'm surprised there aren't any torrents of the original version to be found anywhere.

By the way its 184 people demanding it in Ireland now

Ok I just got off the phone and can confirm that this movie will be shown in Ireland! Been chasing and chasing and when I got a call from the movies distributors I nearly did a little wee :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Looks absolutely terrible.
    The trailer is just a showreel of cliches. I really hope there's more to it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

It's not going to groundbreaking or unique (didn't [REC] already do the whole infra-red camera in the cinema trick?), but it looks scary as fúck.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ParalysedBeaver

Pretty sure it being release the 27th of November over here. Really wanna see it even though I don't like thrillers/horrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

My missus saw it in Santa Cruz, Ca when it was released in a limited run. She thought this was genuinely scary and one of the best in recent years. She likes horror films but generally the thought provoking ones that we had years ago and not the loud noises/ flashing images ones that we have now.

Yep its being release on 27th November but its only getting show in a limited number of cinemas. I'm waiting to hear back about advanced/special screenings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watching this tonight anyways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Saw this a couple of weeks back, thought it was very average.
    the ending reminds me of one of those youtube videos where you're watching the screen closely and then you get the cheap scare

• Registered Users Posts: 14,801 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I watched the first 20 minutes and turned it off,utter ****e of the highest order.
    Looked like it was a college film project shot on a video 8 camcorder and made on a budget of 50p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Watched it today and thought it was ace, loved the whole suspence in it with each night passing, this and Blair Witch are the most frightning movies i've seen nothing Hollywood churns up with it's cgi and gore comes close to it.
    If your the type of person that doesn't need bigshot movie stars and big explosions in a film to enjoy it you'll love this.

It's worth mentioning the copy circulating the Net right now does not contain the ending you'll see the cinemas.. it has the original ending (before Spielberg suggested a new one.. which they then added).

Anyways.. just finished watching. I'd say it was good but not great. The
    mental deterioration of Katie was very well done, as was some of the night scenes as just when I was getting bored of the "** loud noises ** - what's that?" - they pulled out that excellent and quite creepy dragging of Katie out of her bed.

I had a number of problems with the film (one which springs to mind is
    the demonologist arriving and leaving.. yes, I know it was meant to appear that he wasn't welcome and that's why he left.. but everything there just felt so rushed. As a scene, it was pointless. Even a couple more lines of dialogue on the phone / on the lawn would have been welcome but it was just daft and annoyed me.
    . The rest of the problems I had I'll get into after a good night's sleep (with my EVP and night-vision set up).

Don't think it'll get a re-watch and won't be buying the DVD or Blu-ray.. but I was impressed, even with the hype surrounding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Saw this last night and I was very impressed. Couple of parts in it ruined it a little for me as mentioned above the part with the Demonoligist was veru rushed. But overall was one of the better horrors i've seen in a longwhile...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭briany

OK, I saw this movie last night and I didn't get very much sleep after seeing it. The scariest film I think I have seen in quite some time, I'm still rattled by it. Now maybe you might think that's silly but I don't know, the handycam horrors work for me what can I say?:o Basically I am saying I am a Blair Witch fan haha.

Had no problem getting a full night's sleep.

Was more uneasy at the end of 'Martyrs' to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,801 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

briany wrote: »
    The scariest film I think I have seen in quite some time,

The only thing scary about this movie is that so many people paid to see it.
    I've seen episodes on "A Haunting" on the Discovery channel that are far scarier and of infinitely superior production value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Very disappointed, totally overhyped and not scary at all.

Meatwad wrote: »
    Very disappointed, totally overhyped and not scary at all.
    To be fair though.. for an American horror, it's about as innovative and effective as you'll get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Watched the online TV screener version last night. Can someone tell me the difference between the screener ending and the new cinema ending?

Tbh it wasn't bad, but it wasn't spectacular. The ending kind of ruined it for me,
    seriously? they shot her and killed her THAT fast? also, the rocking back and forth thing while holding the bloody knife was ridiculously cliché.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭briany

Was more uneasy at the end of 'Martyrs' to be honest.

Saw that film and to me it wasn't scary it was merely disturbing and nihilistic to an extent and didn't really stay with me more than a day. There's a big difference between scary and disturbing. Scary is fear inducing whereas disturbing is ,to me anyway, just a gross out which is what Martyrs was.

liah wrote: »
    Watched the online TV screener version last night. Can someone tell me the difference between the screener ending and the new cinema ending?
    The Wikipedia page for the film tells you exactly what happens in the cinema ending.

Give that a look!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

basquille wrote: »
    The Wikipedia page for the film tells you exactly what happens in the cinema ending.

Give that a look!

Damnit, they all sound as crap as the original that I watched.

Bah.

Advertisement