Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal Activity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I watched this last night, saw the same version as liah
    the one where the cops shoot her
    Looked up wiki for the alternative endings, I probably would have preferred the other one.

I thought it was a pretty good scary film tbh, enjoyable and tense, didn't make me poop my pants though. The part
    where she gets dragged by one leg from the bed and out into the hallway
    was my favourite bit.
    The boyfriend really bugged the **** out of me. What a retard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Just got all the info on advanced screenings! :D

I'll be able to say more on Monday but I've secured 5 pairs of tickets to a special screening that will be given away on a certain radioshow next thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

briany wrote: »
    Saw that film and to me it wasn't scary it was merely disturbing and nihilistic to an extent and didn't really stay with me more than a day. There's a big difference between scary and disturbing. Scary is fear inducing whereas disturbing is ,to me anyway, just a gross out which is what Martyrs was.
    Martyrs is unsettling as feck.. as is the whole idea of martyrism.

The gore didn't bother me whatsever.. it's an incredibly well-made and concieved film.

But the
    final scenes of Anna is both horrifying and hugely intriguing
    .. nothing in 'Paranormal Activity' comes close.

Simply calling Martyrs "disturbing" is ridiculous - what's more disturbing if the "group" storyline in Martyrs seems more realistic and plausible than anything in 'Paranormal Activity'.

Now THAT'S scary!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just watched Paranormal Activity and I can't really express in the English language what a complete and utter pile of turd this film is.

Expecting to be scared senseless by a genuinely creepy movie that doesn't need to resort to flashy editing and gore, I was simply met by an abysmal homecam job starring two of the most charisma-lacking people I have ever come across.

It also had the best unintentional laugh out loud moment in a film in recent memory
    when the ouija board "mysteriously" caught on fire

Waiting for this to end reminded me of waiting for Irish class to end in secondary school - looking at the clock every minute wishing it were all over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I seriously was expecting MORE.....i was transfixed at the open door of the bedroom hoping to see stuff. But.....ANYONE who finds this turd scary or the best movie ever has no clue about fear or tense scenes.

It was ULTRA low budget, stupid doors slamming, foot steps, utter rubbish....97 minutes gone, i'm serious......HUGELY overrated, Blair Witch internet hype at work.

• Advertisement

This turd has made 40 million!!!!!....???????

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Slow burner but decent. Nothing spectacular. For Irish people growing up in a catholic country where this crap is drilled into you on a daily basis as a child it's nothing out of the ordinary. We did a catholic retreat in school where they tried to convince us all this was real to the point telling one person his metallica tshirt was the work of the devil just makes this film laughable. Especially the fact their dumb ass Americans. Clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyt24

i have just watched the trailer and it looks really freaky. especially that its done on a camera that most normal pple would use to find paranoral activity...Im defo going to see this movie..

[QUOTE=garyt24;62687988...Im defo going to see this movie..[/QUOTE]

I'd advise you to seriously not bother.

If you want one of those mock-cam jobs then seek out Cannibal Holocaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭claireloopy

Saw it today would give it a 4 out of 10 not as scary as blair witch IMO. Found it funny in places too and what was up with the weird friend? lol okkkk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

garyt24 wrote: »
    i have just watched the trailer and it looks really freaky. especially that its done on a camera that most normal pple would use to find paranoral activity...Im defo going to see this movie..
    A camera like he has would cost a fair few hundred.

$15,000 to make...profit ratio of 2,500:1....biggest in history, bigger then Blair...not talking Gossip Girl!

...not talking Gossip Girl!
    Makes a nice change! ;)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I thought it was great and really creepy. I much prefer this kind of horror movie to the crap normally churned out.

I can't imagine everyone liking it but calling it a load of ****? I find that surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

This went down really well at the Horrorthon on Sunday as the surprise film.

For anyone thats interested it gets general release on Wednesday 25th November in about 50 cinemas across the country. Its taken in over $62.5m so far in the box office, knocking the piss out of Saw VI.

I'm just back from a meeting about this and will be giving away 5 pairs of tickets to a special screening at 6.30pm on Saturday (Halloween) along with 5 pairs of tickets to the Dublin Paranormal Convention (Nov. 7th) on this Thursdays Adrian Kennedy PhoneShow Halloween Special on fm104.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

The only thing scary about this movie is that so many people paid to see it.
    I've seen episodes on "A Haunting" on the Discovery channel that are far scarier and of infinitely superior production value.

But you didn't watch the entire film? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Saw this at the horrorthon and was blown away.

It was the surprise movie at the festival so I really had no idea what to expect, and that's probably the best way to view this movie - don't read the hype, just go and see it for yourself.

Personally, I thought the Blair Witch Project was ****e - yes it was atmospheric but there was little payoff for the viewer, nothing really happened.

I felt there was lot more going on in this one, more payoff for the viewer. Just an ordinary couple at home with an extraordinary problem (they're not Hollywood superstars oozing charisma and they're not supposed to be). I thought the slow build up worked perfectly and there was lot of tension in the cinema with people dreading what would happen in the next 'night scene'.

It's a slow starter alright but definitely worth it in the end.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Thank God I didn't go to the surprise film, I've seen the movie already. I didn't like it, I'm glad other people did though. This film is quite polarizing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

top of the US box office and a sequel could be on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hated Blair Witch - but this made me crap my pants! Watched it on the couch in our old creaky house... I don't know if I would have been as frightened if we had seen it in the cinema. I think the reason why it really got to me was - we had a break-in last year while we were downstairs, so I'm still a tad skittish with noises. So this really played on my fear there.

• Advertisement

you people are weird.

How can you enjoy this toilet bowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RAUL DUKE

Just watched this,it was absolute sh*te!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

For $15,000 you can't really complain. I wasn't mad about this myself but I can see the appeal and I'm not going to go down that silly route by calling it '****e' or whatever. I won't be watching it again but it does beat a lot of films out there that have been made for 1000 times that amount.

6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

Ah guys take it for what it is a Mockumentary with some nice special effects created by a team for $11,000 dollars so First Showing has at cost - I think they did a decent job tbh. Its taken in $65 Million so far as of yesterday to btw which goes to show that people want more movies that have some jumpy bits in it thats diff from the norm. We all have seen movies with budgets over 1 Million that can't get this much hype so they did something right.

Personally I didn't find it scarey but I love scarey flicks. To the average cinema goer this is a great lil halloween movie considering all there is atm other wise is Saw 6.

The Demonologist btw
    never came to help them that was the physic that told em he'd have nothing to do with demons that came back when she called all upset - the demon dude was away on another case cos they left it soo long to call

I think they did an ok job with the so called scarey bits - Fast forwarded the whole movie to show my fella the night activity bits as he was asleep when I watched it first and he even thought that bits like
    her getting dragged outta the bed and the part where you hear something walk in, they wake up then something runs out and the door slams was done quite well for a bunch of noobie movie makers.
    Other then the few cleverly done bits you have an hour of drool waffling etc its like watching a most haunted live special with something actually happening lol.

The only jump I had was when both my kittens that where fast asleep on me jumped up when they heard the foot steps, They kept doing it through the whole movie and even ran to the end of the bed when they heard the door bell ring on it. I couldn't stop laughing at the fright they gave me and the fright they got from it was Hilarious.

So scare value from me 2/10 but kittens give it a solid 10/10 lol.

If i was to rate it as something different and quality for budget id give it about 7/10 i think as compared to other low budget in that category with special effects I think its prob the best I've seen. Only downfall is the ending.

What I thought was really effective was
    at night when you're watching the clock on the camera and it slows down, so you KNOW something is going to happen and the antipication builds

For $15,000 you can't really complain. I wasn't mad about this myself but I can see the appeal and I'm not going to go down that silly route by calling it '****e' or whatever. I won't be watching it again but it does beat a lot of films out there that have been made for 1000 times that amount.

6/10

But it still cost us the same to go see the film! :pac::pac: It is impressive what they did for the money, but that automatically doesn't make it a great film. I'd say "they did the most they can with the money"; but that doesn't make it good.

I guess the main problem is that the film's scares can't be big and impressive because there's no budget. It's implied. I thought the
    "stamping up the stairs"
    scare was really effective - but they used it a few times - you need to see the scare! There's no payoff! When I realised it was all anticipation and implied scare, it really lost wind. It could've done much more with a bigger budget. Even $100,000 for special effects. Without it, it's not scary, what it's supposed to be and it's main selling point.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    When I realised it was all anticipation and implied scare, it really lost wind. It could've done much more with a bigger budget. Even $100,000 for special effects. Without it, it's not scary, what it's supposed to be and it's main selling point.

See, that's what makes it scary for me! I love the way you don't see anything, it's all implied. I think that's what makes it SO scary!

How many of you are girls?....this movie is NOT scary, it's a movie that builds anticipation and nerve factor, not fear.

Btw....really like that kitten story, so cute! :-)

How many of you are girls?
    This coming from a grown man who watches 'The Hills', 'Gossip Girl' and 'The Vampire Girls' - shows so absolutely terrifying that 'Paranormal Activity' doesn't hold a candle to any of them!

The film wasn't particularly scary in my mind.. but you couldn't help but be slightly on-edge as to what would happen next when the night-scenes began, and got slightly more intense.

It's all of matter of opinion.. while I didn't think it was particularly scary, can you name one horror film out of Hollywood in the past 2 - 3 years that was as unique and innovative? I certainly can't!

• Advertisement

Unique....Arguably, REC and Let the Right One In...although not really original (what is original these days) they're very well done films.

I think it's a definitely a matter of suspension of disbelief. If you can buy completely into the film you'll love it. But if you're a horror buff you'll "demand" to actually have a scare, instead of implying it each time. I will admit that the film builds tension, but since it's such a slight curve and you figure out you're not gonna get a big scare it falls flat, IMO.

Advertisement