Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Inspiron Mini 10 for €166.41

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

a 10v there now buts for 228.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Gone

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I've been looking the last 2 days and have not seen 1 X 10V, they must get eaten up!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Slaanesh wrote: »
    I've been looking the last 2 days and have not seen 1 X 10V, they must get eaten up!

Keep checking. I was looking for a week and got one today - pot luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Yeah I got 1010 with the 6 cell for 212 delivered yesterday complete pot luck lunch time seems to be the best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

wclarke20 wrote: »
    This may seem like a stupid question but take for example the first laptop on the page or the cheapest one![/font]
    Under the processor column, it says that there is no processor and when you click into the model it says the specs are 1.6GHz,533MHz,512KB
    Does this mean that memory is only 512kb and there’s no processor with it????

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=ie&cs=iedfh1&l=en&lob=INSP&s=dfh

They are lazy at putting the info in sometimes.

One for 150 at moment:
    INSPIRON 1011
    ***Ubuntu 8.04 not windows***
    8GB solid state hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭adcrawley

Hi Folks,
    I bought one of these yesterday, thanks for the heads up on it.
    What was the typical delivery time for one?
    5 to 7 days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

adcrawley wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I bought one of these yesterday, thanks for the heads up on it.
    What was the typical delivery time for one?
    5 to 7 days?

took 6 days for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

adcrawley, I ordered on Thursday and got it on Tuesday to Dublin. Someone here got it the very next day (he was in Kildare, may be that matters).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭adcrawley

Thanks for the replies folks,
    Ordered mine yesterday, with a bit of luck I should have it next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Are there any mini10 ones actually left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭GreyAlien

cotwold wrote: »
    Are there any mini10 ones actually left?

Just after ordering an Inspiron 1010 for €175, so they must be put up still. None now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Ordered mine on Tuesday, Arrived at home (Athlone)today during lunch. but I won't be home till tomorrow night. So feel like a child on Christmas Eve, even though all I am gonna do is browse the web which I can do anyway, on my desktop.

GreyAlien wrote: »
    Just after ordering an Inspiron 1010 for €175, so they must be put up still. None now though.

Oh ffs ive been looking for a mini10 and not Inspiron 1010 (didnt know the model number) Thanks GreyAlien, at least now i know what to look for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Are they not the same thing? Inspiron mini 1010.

They are, i didnt know that till now tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

pauly3 wrote: »

The 1010 has an HDMI port, glossy 1024x600 screen with glossy 'edge-to-edge' surround and 1GB DDR2-533 ram, which cannot be upgraded as it is soldered onto the motherboard. It has a magnesium alloy case. The 1011 has the same 1024x600 glossy screen, but with a matte surround, replaces the HDMI port with VGA and has 1GB DDR2-533 ram which can be upgraded to 2GB (with difficulty, you have to remove the motherboard), and a plastic case.

I got one, a red 1010. Mine has the 1.33ghz processor though, and has a plastic case, not a mag alloy one. No way to tell before I bought it what case it was going to come with. Not too bothered though, it's a lovely little machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭redmissb

I got a 1011 earlier, a green one and I was in such a rush to grab it I didn't realise it came with ubuntu and not windows. It was €190, oh what have I done! Can I cancel it? I've never used linux before, only mac and windows, what's it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

redmissb wrote: »
    I got a 1011 earlier, a green one and I was in such a rush to grab it I didn't realise it came with ubuntu and not windows. It was €190, oh what have I done! Can I cancel it? I've never used linux before, only mac and windows, what's it like?

There's no problem cancelling just ring them on Monday. They don't charge your credit card until the item ships.

Thanks a million, maybe that's what I'll do and try and get one with windows on it. That's what I get for rushing into things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

I was looking at ordering one of these as a present but can anyone who bought one from the outlet tell me what the quality is like between 'Scratch & Dent' and 'Certified Refurbished'?

lad12 wrote: »
    I was looking at ordering one of these as a present but can anyone who bought one from the outlet tell me what the quality is like between 'Scratch & Dent' and 'Certified Refurbished'?

refurbish should be like new

scratch and dent will have some sort of scratch or dent (scuffed lid/small scratch/any sort of damage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lad12 wrote: »

I think most of them are orders canceled before they left the factory TBH. Or just returns when someone gets a machine and realises they no longer need it etc... or it doesn't have RAM or in Ubuntu laptops case, most likely that they don't have windows on it and the person doesn't know what Ubuntu is.

Sister got one without any problems, like new.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I received my ubuntu one yesterday and after a battle last night with wireless I popped Snow Leopard on it today.

It required a bit of effort as the 8GB SSD was on the tight side but their are plenty of guides over at mydellmini.com After installation i have 3.95GB free.

Is it easy to set up with wireless? I'm not sure if I should cancel my ubuntu one or not.

Is it easy to set up with wireless? I'm not sure if I should cancel my ubuntu one or not.

It should be. However whilst it could see and connect it never passed traffic so after fruitless fluting around I decided to go ahead with Plan B and stick Snow Leopard on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Its easy to stick windows on it urself... I did it the other day..

Got an xp version, cleaned it up and installed my programs. Given it all works and the speed is good, for the moment will stick with xp. Do have windows 7 on another laptop but xp still seems smoother

unklerosco wrote: »
    Its easy to stick windows on it urself... I did it the other day..

It's 16gb SSD, will that be enough for windows? Sorry I'm a bit clueless about these things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's 16gb SSD, will that be enough for windows? Sorry I'm a bit clueless about these things!
    More than enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

parsi wrote: »
    I received my ubuntu one yesterday and after a battle last night with wireless I popped Snow Leopard on it today.

It required a bit of effort as the 8GB SSD was on the tight side but their are plenty of guides over at mydellmini.com After installation i have 3.95GB free.

Was it difficult getting SL onto it?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JohnGonne1

unklerosco wrote: »
    I know its a bit late but its not too hard to upgrade the HD, plenty of guides on the net to show how its done... I'm either gonna stick a 100gb drive in mine or try n get a cheap decent sized ssd..

Dell instructions
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1010/en/sm/hdd.htm#wp1184835

Got one of these - 8gb with ubuntu, would like to upgrade the hd, but where can a decent large SSD, or SATA, any recommendations

whiterebel wrote: »
    Was it difficult getting SL onto it?

Nope. There are fine instructions on mydellmini.com and I used netbookmaker/netbookinstaller. You need a mac to restore an image of the install DVD onto a USB stick (takes around 2 hours) and you need to run customisations (if you've a small SSD) to remove junk at install time but it works ok.

Main issue is that the trackpad is a bit jumpy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

JohnGonne1 wrote: »
    Got one of these - 8gb with ubuntu, would like to upgrade the hd, but where can a decent large SSD, or SATA, any recommendations

www.komplett.ie
    www.ebay.co.uk
    www.google.com

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

What exactly was included in the box? All I got was the Dell Mini and the charger. Anything missing? It was a brown box and inside were two cream cardboard trays with the mini and charger.

My mini didn't have any of the crap software which seems to be on the other minis sold! I only got 3-4 Dell programs like Dell Webcam, Support something and another one or two extra. Why is that? I also had to accept the user agreement at boot time. Is this usually the case?

Btw I got a Mini 10 with Windows XP and the display seems very rough. Icons aren't too clear etc... is this normal? What can be done to fix this?

Edit - I bought from Dell before and know about having to accept the user licence agreement but I haven't bought from the outlet before and thought it was already accepted etc!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

MAybe your one has never made it out of the Dell factory where as others have been shipped had software installed and then were returned?

As far as the screen is concerned it may simply be the resolution settings in the control panel or something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

What exactly was included in the box? All I got was the Dell Mini and the charger. Anything missing? It was a brown box and inside were two cream cardboard trays with the mini and charger.

My mini didn't have any of the crap software which seems to be on the other minis sold! I only got 3-4 Dell programs like Dell Webcam, Support something and another one or two extra. Why is that? I also had to accept the user agreement at boot time. Is this usually the case?

Btw I got a Mini 10 with Windows XP and the display seems very rough. Icons aren't too clear etc... is this normal? What can be done to fix this?

Edit - I bought from Dell before and know about having to accept the user licence agreement but I haven't bought from the outlet before and thought it was already accepted etc!??

In Display Properties, under the Appearance Tab, click on Effects and change the second option about "Smooth edges fo Screen Font" from Standard to Cleartype. This should sharpen things up a small bit for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭rgfuller

All the same for me, mine had an install date of the 19th-sept, and I'd also to accept the licence, so perhaps it was re-imaged by dell, or like 68ls said - never got sent.

I also received a little quickstart guidebook which I've not even bothered with plus 3 CDs which look to have various bits of software for re-installing on it.

Display is nice and clear for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

I updated the GMA500 drivers with the latest ones available from dell. The resolution settings doesn't seem to show 1024x597 as it should show. Instead it shows 1024x600?

It's ok to view pictures etc but volume control, Bluetooth, LAN, WAN looks too rough.

How is everyone getting on viewing webpages? I opened vodafone.ie and the text was overlapping where you have to sign in with your mobile no and password! :confused:

My Dell inspiron mini's solid state harddrive crashed on me this week for the second time in under a year. The computer is only 14 months old as well. I wont be buying from dell again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My Dell inspiron mini's solid state harddrive crashed on me this week for the second time in under a year. The computer is only 14 months old as well. I wont be buying from dell again.

I don't get when people post things like this.

Dell don't make hard drives. So you could the same drive in any netbook no?
    Maybe its the HD controller, or the drivers. Which dell also don't make....etc.

Could be a bug on a specific system or model, but that can happen to any mass produced product. Did you find anything on the web, or on Dell own forums about there being a specific problem with this model or for that matter this drive.

Because you might be throwing out the baby out with the bath water.

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't get when people post things like this.
    Because they're frustrated and its not like dell will listen.
    BostonB wrote: »
    Dell don't make hard drives. So you could the same drive in any netbook no?
    Maybe its the HD controller, or the drivers. Which dell also don't make....etc.

Yeah fair enough but ive only ever bought dell and in the last 8 years of the 5 laptops/destops ive bought off them every single one has had some hardware componant fail at least once (my xps broke 3 times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Did you have extended warranty?

If you bought other brands you'd realise they have the same problems. They pretty much all have similar components depending who's drives were cheaper the month they were made.

Machines, break. Otherwise they'd have lifetime warranties.

Dell is one common denominator the other other is you....;)

Have to say I haven't anything like that amount of failures, and I've had mainly Dells and work and at home. Once I worked on a job where we installed a few thousand dells, and we had something like a 5% failure rate which I think is pretty normal. Didn't really notice any different in other brands.

Occasionally you get a model with a problem, like the Nvida Chipset, or the overheating in some XPS models. Same with other brands though. I guess its no comfort if you are part of the 5% or have a lemon. Those XPS usually have 3yr warranties, though I bought mine off the outlet so only 1yr.

madmoe wrote: »
    Did you have extended warranty?

No im out 19 days :(
    I reckon they'll fix it though, so ive that to be gratefull for.

A friends machine touchpad broke, and it was a few weeks out of warranty, but I'd bought it for him, and Dell fixed it, I think because I've bought so many computers off them!

The only really hassle I've had from Dell is trying to break through the scripted, poor english of the support drones. I only deal with them via email though, which solves that, but it takes a little longer. Email is useful as you can quote their mistakes and contraditions back to them, and include them on all your emails, which tend to get them moving when they realise their manager is going to see their mistakes when you email them.

In fairness a few of the indian support guys were excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

No im out 19 days :(
    I reckon they'll fix it though, so ive that to be gratefull for.

I stand to be corrected, but my understanding is that your guarantee resets to the time they repaired your machine last. So if you are within 1 year of having the drive fixed last you should be covered.

Don't hold me to that, but probably worth contacting consumerconnect to know your rights in this regard.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

hi,
    sorry for silly question, if i throw snow leopard on to one of the 1011, safari and office will work fine? Will it be ok with flash intensive sites like disney and nick tv, thinking of getting my son one just for kids net. also watching avis/dvds fromusb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

ive only ever bought dell and in the last 8 years of the 5 laptops/destops ive bought off them every single one has had some hardware componant fail at least once (my xps broke 3 times)
    If you are continuously having bad experiences with Dell, why on earth are you still giving them your money? :confused:

Spend your money elsewhere, try out other laptop vendors, but don't keep touching the electric fence and complaining that it hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

tinner777 wrote: »
    hi,
    sorry for silly question, if i throw snow leopard on to one of the 1011, safari and office will work fine? Will it be ok with flash intensive sites like disney and nick tv, thinking of getting my son one just for kids net. also watching avis/dvds fromusb?

You rarely just "throw" OS X on to a netbook. It usually takes a little bit more time and effort to get a workable system.
    Don't bother trying with a 1011, unless it's a 1011v.
    Flash-intensive sites on netbooks (similar to this spec. at least) will work, but usually aren't great (i.e. A little jumpy or sluggish) as it relies on the CPU to do the dirty work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement