Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera gear in Las Vegas

• 17-09-2009 5:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of anywhere decent to buy gear in Vegas? It just so happens that I will be there this weekend :D

I'd like to pick up a Sigma 18-200 OS to use as a walkabout/holiday lens. I tire of carrying a bag of gear around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

The only place left worth a damn is Casey's Camera (I live in Vegas. I have a shooting engagement on Saturday, but give me a shout!). Details:

http://www.caseyscamera.com/

1550 E Tropicana Ave
    Las Vegas, NV 89119-8338
    (702) 736-0890

Location is at Tropicana and Spencer near the airport. If you're driving from the Strip, avoid taking Tropicana as it is all dug up and shut down. Take Flamingo eastbound as far as Eastern (or Spencer), Eastern south to Tropicana and then it is half a block west on Tropicana to Casey's.

Be warned. They are p-r-i-c-y.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

Yeah I found Vegas pricy for camera stuff. Few years ago when I bought my Powershot S3 IS they wanted $699 for it on the Strip in Vegas. Got it in San Francisco few days later for $349.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Thanks for the advice lads. Considering how pricey its going to be, I may try to convince B&H to ship one to me in New Mexico instead. Its a proper pain in the ass to buy anything online here with an Irish credit card and have it shipped to a US address though. They think some kind of fraud is happening!

(also, what a terrible website!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

have a look through www.craigslist.org and buy stuff secondhand at a reasonable price (if you can haggle)

its popular in USA

Craigslist, while great for bargains, is the wicked lair of flakes, liars and thieves. They should make their motto, ''caveat emptor.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I bought a Quantaray 18-200 lens in Vegas about two years ago, and it
    has rarely been off my camera, I find it great for most of my needs. I believe
    Quantaray is a subsidiary of Sigma (but not positive) and touch wood has been
    a trouble free lens, bought it in the outlet centre (huge designer shopping centre on
    the outskirts of the town) cost about $350

I bought a Quantaray 18-200 lens in Vegas about two years ago, and it
    has rarely been off my camera, I find it great for most of my needs. I believe
    Quantaray is a subsidiary of Sigma (but not positive) and touch wood has been
    a trouble free lens, bought it in the outlet centre (huge designer shopping centre on
    the outskirts of the town) cost about $350

Ritz Camera at the Outlet Mall? They're even pricier than Casey's and have half the range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Fenster wrote: »
    Craigslist, while great for bargains, is the wicked lair of flakes, liars and thieves. They should make their motto, ''caveat emptor.''

I never had that experience.... (couple of years ago) met a number of people and bought some top quality gear...in almost new condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Ritz Camera at the Outlet Mall? They're even pricier than Casey's and have half the range.

Yep thats the one, I didnt think it was a bad price and as I say I have certainly got value for money out of it. But as you say camera shops are few and far between in Vegas, so I guess they can charge what they like.

Las Vegas does have world-class clothes shopping though. Go us?

• Advertisement

Had a look on Craigslist, there's nothing at all going in my neck of the woods. Not much in the way of large population centres out here :)

Stephen wrote: »
    Had a look on Craigslist, there's nothing at all going in my neck of the woods. Not much in the way of large population centres out here :)

Haha. Maybe try some "Hecho en Mexico?"

What part of NM are you in? We're thinking of moving out to Las Cruces.

fenster, coming to vegas for NYE. whats the weather like that time of year?

Usually bright, clear and cold (0-5 Celsius). Really nice weather actually.

ah really? thought it would be much warmer!!! boooooooo

T-rev wrote: »
    ah really? thought it would be much warmer!!! boooooooo

We have seven months of 30+ heat (April-October). It gets old, fast.

still, it'll be a far cry for dublin which will be nice.

Haha. Maybe try some "Hecho en Mexico?"

What part of NM are you in? We're thinking of moving out to Las Cruces.

I'm in Clovis, which is in the high plains on the very eastern edge of the state (10 miles from the Texas line). Unfortunately, because of the high plains location, its utterly flat and not very scenic at all. Its also a bit too Bible Belt for my liking. You have to drive about 100 miles in pretty much any direction to find more interesting places, like Lubbock, Amarillo, Ruidoso, Santa Fe, etc.

Las Cruces however is a nice part of the world. Was there a couple of weeks ago. It is a university town and is very close to the White Sands national monument, which is awesome, and El Paso, which is not so awesome but alright for shopping and stuff. The Rocky Mountains aren't far away either. I will now take this opportunity to pimp some photos of that general area :Dhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/shanafin/sets/72157621630834305/

Purthy. We figure that the Bible Belt/NM is probably better than Las Vegas. It'll be cooler for sure.

Good god, those Mexican dudes flicking hooker business cards at you on the strip are bloody infuriating! Someone described it as prostitute pokemon - gotta catch 'em all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Fenster, I'll be in the states just before Christmas. We arriving into San Fran and departing Las Vegas (Dec 23rd). Any tips for good photography locations in or around Vegas?

Thanks

dudara wrote: »
    Fenster, I'll be in the states just before Christmas. We arriving into San Fran and departing Las Vegas (Dec 23rd). Any tips for good photography locations in or around Vegas?

Thanks

Blah blah Strip blah blah Fremont Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

LOL - suppose that I should have said locations beyond the obvious - perhaps outside the city,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Stephen wrote: »
    I will now take this opportunity to pimp some photos of that general area :Dhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/shanafin/sets/72157621630834305/

I was initially excited, but a subsequent wikipedia search has revealed that the bottomless lakes are in fact anything but. :mad:

dudara wrote: »
    LOL - suppose that I should have said locations beyond the obvious - perhaps outside the city,.

I'd recommend the Mount Charleston and the Red Rock areas, especially if we have inclement weather (they are stunningly beautiful in rain or snow). Las Vegas, outside of the Strip, is pretty much your typical American city: Strip malls, housing tracts and a whole lot of nothing else.

Advertisement