Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harp

Options
  • 17-09-2009 6:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

What are your opinions on Harp lager? When I was in college, a phsychology student did some kind of project or thesis on lager. Subjects were given a number of the top beers blind and asked to rate them according to preference. Harp was the top choice. Each participant was then told what they picked and given a voucher for the UCD bar for a free pint. Not one of the students who were told they had favoured Harp ordered Harp at the bar... The bar staff made a note of what was ordered.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Personally I hate it. It seems to have a nasty matallic/burnt aftertaste

I have yet to meet anyone who drinks it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Brockagh wrote: »
    What are your opinions on Harp lager? When I was in college, a phsychology student did some kind of project or thesis on lager. Subjects were given a number of the top beers blind and asked to rate them according to preference. Harp was the top choice. Each participant was then told what they picked and given a voucher for the UCD bar for a free pint. Not one of the students who were told they had favoured Harp ordered Harp at the bar... The bar staff made a note of what was ordered.

No big difference between mass marketing yellow fizzy stuff, now there us a surprise!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I tried it a few months back and was actually quite impressed. Less by the €5.30 price tag, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 On the Bench

I would drink Harp above Carlsberg, Heiniken or any of the standard fizzy lagers on draught, but its very hard to get on tap these days. My local publican told me it was a big seller but when they stopped promoting it, its sales declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Brockagh wrote: »
    Not one of the students who were told they had favoured Harp ordered Harp at the bar... The bar staff made a note of what was ordered.
    Stupid question but did they sell harp?!
    I don't remember ever seeing it there when I was there. Harp has always had a "bad name", unfairly IMO, just like beamish seems to too.

One reason I would not go for harp or beamish would be the very fact that they are unpopular so the keg might be there donkeys years. Just like in chippers I would go for cod since it is the most popular so has a higher turnover and is likely to be fresher and nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

rubadub wrote: »
    Stupid question but did they sell harp?!
    I don't remember ever seeing it there when I was there. Harp has always had a "bad name", unfairly IMO, just like beamish seems to too.

One reason I would not go for harp or beamish would be the very fact that they are unpopular so the keg might be there donkeys years. Just like in chippers I would go for cod since it is the most popular so has a higher turnover and is likely to be fresher and nicer.

Of course the story could be a bit of a myth, but I believe it's true. I think I remember Harp there. Guinness (Diageo) had a bit of a stranglehold on the bar's range. I remember some controversy when I was there.

Anyway, I am predisposed to not like any of those lagers, but when I taste them, they're okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

When i first started drinking pints, Harp was my choice of drink. It still would be were it not so hard to find it on tap. You'll rarely find it in urban pubs nowadays, but its still prevalant in many rural haunts. I like its sharp taste, yet many people tell me they wont drink it as they find it too cutting. This is the very reason i like the lager. Back in the early to mid 90s, Harp pub promotions were everywhere. My cousins were constantly doing them and i still have the promo t-shirts. Harp ads were everywhere back then, i particularly remember the one with the camel and the flying pig :D These days Diageo dont even advertise, nevermind promote Harp in the Republic, while its still heavily plugged in the North. Its a pity, as i think its a pretty decent lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tommy Tiernan - Harp is a evil bastard of a drink……..you could start off the night in the best of form and end up standing over your cousin with a shovel screaming TAKE IT BACK YOU ****ER, TAKE IT BACK

I know this is an old thread but
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Less by the €5.30 price tag, though.
    I heard it was €4 a pint in a pub near dame lane pub. I was in it on friday and it was certainly on tap, and a FOAF was raving about it being only €4. The pub had 2 doors on different streets and you could pass right though it to the otherside, one side is a restaurant and the other is more like a pub with the bar in the middle. Can't remember the name though...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    Can't remember the name though...
    Le Cirk? They have Chimay and Duvel, IIRC.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Le Cirk? They have Chimay and Duvel, IIRC.
    Yes, pretty sure it was now I see the website
    http://www.lecirk.ie/default.aspx

The fridges were pretty dark looked like they did have some collection, but I couldn't see what they were!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Is this Le Cirk place still open? Tried ringing a few times about gigs and they never answer!

Advertisement