Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IS it possible to double connection from RJ45 socket

• 17-09-2009 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

HI
    I need to have 2 network cables for my 2 Pc's in my room but i only have one RJ45 socket. Can i get a double adaptor for this rj45 socket and use the 2 of them together or what is the best possible way to get this setup. Will i have to run in another RJ45 socket???
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

Yes it is possible. Easiest way would be to put a small switch at one end...

however these also work...

http://www.homestead.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=51339

I used them a long time ago, it allows for two devices to use one ethernet port.
    Each end requires one of these devices. So from your switch / router with switch, you would plug two ethernet cables into one end. Using your existing ethernet cable plug into the third port. The other end simply reverse it!

It sounds complicated to explain but when you see the link it will make a little more sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭noworries2004

Cheers Calex,
    But only one PC could then be used at a time,
    Or can some one clarify if i had 2 of them, one at the router end then another plugged in the socket end. Can you clarify if this would work so iu could be able to use both of them? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As you mentioned you can't use both PCs if you use an RJ45 splitter. The simplest way is just to use a 5 port switch. These can be had for around €15 from any decent computer shop.

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=25910

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭noworries2004

perfect
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

There is another solution that looks like this:

rm4v2v.jpg

You need to use a splitter at BOTH ends of the cable. It makes use of all 8 wires instead of the usual 4 for 10/100 ethernet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

+1 for a small inexpensive network switch. As you're using a wired network I assume you're on a gigabit link, if so make sure the new switch is up to speed also.

Advertisement