Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling - what are my chances?

Options
  • 17-09-2009 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My 3 friends and I are looking for a house at the mo and we found a nice one for 3k per month ...which we can't afford at that price.

I put in an offer of 2500, but the agent said the landlord won't go lower than 2800. I've increased our offer to 2700.

Do ye think we have a chance of getting it at 2700 or when landlords say they won't go below a certain price are they usually adament about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Jesus, 3K a month, does it have jacuzzis in all the rooms?
    How long has the place been empty? That's your onl;y real bargaining chip; if the house has been vacant a long time, that's a lot of 3Ks they're not getting, if the place idles another 5 weeks, they'd make more money giving it to you for a year at 2700 than waiting for 3K from someone.
    I presume the agent gets a month's rent for signing you up, but I'd be amazed if they're losing a commission over 300 euro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

At that price it must be one of very few houses in Ireland at that end of the rental market. Normally such property is rented directly to a company for a high end executive as part of their relocation package. I would think most landlords would be willing to drop by 10% but at the higher end I would also expect it to be less due to limited supply of such property. I'd put in the offer of 2700 and leave it a while.

I think you could get better value renting two penthouse apartments myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

€33k+ for a years rent and you are worried about €100pm? Have you thought this through? Stamp duty will also be applicable on the lease at that level.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes, I was wondering whether it had clicked with the OP that they'd also have to pay stamp duty on the lease at that level......

Where is this mythical property- and why is it so expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Plenty of them around at that price. Daft lists over 400 at €3k plus pm.
    Still a lot of people living in dreamland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

wyndham wrote: »

Dreamland, Co. Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Yes stamp duty is 1% per month.

The house is on Morehampton Road near Leeson St bridge.

We're going for it as there'll be no transport costs...can walk to work and town,etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

wyndham wrote: »

Strange you got that count. I narrowed the search to 3 bed houses at a minimum 3k and got 55. Many were incorrect postings of weekly rents and duplicates. Some were absolutely hideous most notably one with chandeliers.

Who ever thinks a pale coloured carpet in a rental property is a good idea is clearly not accustomed to the practicalities of renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Strange you got that count. I narrowed the search to 3 bed houses at a minimum 3k and got 55. Many were incorrect postings of weekly rents and duplicates. Some were absolutely hideous most notably one with chandeliers.

Well considering OP has 4 people looking for a house, it would seem more reasonable to look up 4 bedroomed houses rather than 3 bedroomed.Nearly 20% of all 4 bedroomed houses in entire Dublin area are above 2700 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I saw one in Blackrock in an estate agent's window that was at €20,000+ per month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement