Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression, Medication and Alcohol

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JackReacher1980

Thanks, I'm feeling a bit better this morning, and mornings are always the worst. I only drink once every couple of weeks, but will have to seriously reconsider it if it makes me feel this low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

tbh wrote: »
    guys, please don't give advice on meds dosages etc.

Sorry I wasnt telling or advising the poster what dose she should take. I just simply stated the maximum dose that GP's prescribe for Effexor

Thanks, I'm feeling a bit better this morning, and mornings are always the worst. I only drink once every couple of weeks, but will have to seriously reconsider it if it makes me feel this low.

Mornings are definately the worst in my case also when I have gone on a binge. I havent gone on one in 3 months and I have been fine ever since. Its just not worth it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭confusedgirl

I've been on variety of SSRI anti-depression medication over the yrs. I dont care what anyone else says-alcohol and anti depressants are bad mix and just end up cancelling each other out in my experience. I would also veto caffeine, chocolate, sugary and junk food-these are stimulants which will cause your blood sugar to sky rocket and down fall down again. If you cut them out, your moods will level off a bit. Alcohol is the big one to watch but I would also keep close tabs on diet and exercise too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

lukesmom wrote: »
    Sorry I wasnt telling or advising the poster what dose she should take. I just simply stated the maximum dose that GP's prescribe for Effexor

I know - your intentions were clear, and I've no problem with them. But the theoretical maximum dose may not be suitable for the OP, so we play safe by just not mentioning it at all.

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone. Just been doc, and she reckons that its all caused by the alcohol, particularly the sheer amount of it. Feeling a bit better, back to work Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

lukesmom wrote: »

your reply was inaccurate,in any event :)
    but for a variety of reasons, it's best not to discuss dosages here.

I think I have learned my lesson anyway, to be a proper social drinker, not a binger, like most of my friends! This past week actually felt like I did when I first went on the medication, and I was so upset, because the meds had previously been so successful for me - after putting on over a stone and a half in a year and a half, I've now lost a stone of that in nearly two months - with no change whatsoever, except for the change in meds.
    Anyway, moral of the story - I think I need to keep drinking to a minimum from now on! Almost feeling back to normal now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I remember a couple years ago when I would binge drink every saturday and stay over with friends the same night, the next day I wouldnt have a hangover and being in the presence of friends prob stopped me from feeling down and thinking about things

I think anyone is gonna feel down if their taking/not taking meds and went on a bit of a bender. It does pass after 4+ days when you go overboard, just dont get too hammered, thats my opinion.

you cant expect someone to give up alcohol completely if drinking is something they enjoy. enjoyment is the best medication, finding a balance is key.

Ah, I did go completely overboard, was still sick for 2/3 days afterwards. Thought it was just a hangover, then the depression/ anxiety really kicked in. Hasnt fully lifted - just feel exhausted (probably because my appetite is way down), and its hard for me to have much get up and go. I'm hoping this does pass, and have started taking Vitamin B complex, which is supposed to help, so fingers crossed.
    I definately wont be drinking much like that again, its just so not worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 madliz

glad to see you are a bit better. taking some vitamins won't do you any harm. certainly limiting your alcohol will benefit you aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm not on any depression medicine or anything but I found this thread interesting. I went out drinking myself the weekend before last and it had been a while since I was out. I had a pint and between 6 and 8 Jack Daniels with coke. The next day I had a hangover which lasted into the Monday. However what I've really started to notice is how down the drink can make me feel. Like I came home on the Saturday night, thinking all sorts of negative s**t about myself.

I got up on the Sunday, felt like crap because I was hungover but felt really down and depressed for about 2 or 3 days afterwards. I've only started noticing this recently so I can only imagine it would cancel out the effectiveness of depression medication.

Makes ya wonder what we are doing to ourselves, eh? Havent been drinking since that night, and have promised myself to cut down a lot, cos I couldnt go through that week of hell again.

Just an update on my sistuation. Things are going a bit haywire in my relationship, and its causing me some stress. I think he may have a form of SAD, because his moods definately get worse around this time of year. Anyway, came down with some kind of a cold/ flu on tuesday, and am now back to where I started from, feeling really out of control and down again. Nausea and all sorts of other unpleasant effects. Any advice?

Just an update on my sistuation. Things are going a bit haywire in my relationship, and its causing me some stress. I think he may have a form of SAD, because his moods definately get worse around this time of year. Anyway, came down with some kind of a cold/ flu on tuesday, and am now back to where I started from, feeling really out of control and down again. Nausea and all sorts of other unpleasant effects. Any advice?

you know we dont and cant give medical advice here. speak to your doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Em, from experience.

If you feel your mood dropping, stay away from booze, exercise and eat well.

Consult your doctor if this does not improve things.

The bottom of a glass never provides an answer.

Sorry, I wasnt actually looking for advice, but for people to share their experience. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭oide10

Sorry for digging up an old thread.

A friend of mine has gone back on anti-depressants except she also takes sleeping pills, medication for anxiety attacks and binge drinks at the weekend and will drink wine with dinner during the week. She told me her doctor said that it was fine (now she probably omitted the part about the binge drinking). It sounds excessive to me! She said that by taking milk thistle she won't be harming her liver. She wants to be out all the time and can be quite reckless when she's out, she is getting drunk faster, maybe due to the medication?

Her friends have tried to talk to her because we are worried, we think the GP was very quick to prescribe so many meds without first suggesting counseling or therapy. All these meds with alcohol thrown in to the mix can't be good for some one surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

oide10 wrote: »

A friend of mine has gone back on anti-depressants except she also takes sleeping pills, medication for anxiety attacks and binge drinks at the weekend and will drink wine with dinner during the week. She told me her doctor said that it was fine (now she probably omitted the part about the binge drinking). It sounds excessive to me! She said that by taking milk thistle she won't be harming her liver. She wants to be out all the time and can be quite reckless when she's out, she is getting drunk faster, maybe due to the medication?

Her friends have tried to talk to her because we are worried, we think the GP was very quick to prescribe so many meds without first suggesting counseling or therapy. All these meds with alcohol thrown in to the mix can't be good for some one surely?

this is crazy stuff. anti depressants are one thing, but when you throw in anti anxiety meds and in particular sleeping pills and alochol combined she is playing with fire. her liver might be helped by milk thislte but dosent she reliase that its the binge drinking thats prob causing all the problems that she needs the meds for in the first place

she needs to stop drinking!!

Your friend is asking for trouble mixing anti depressants, anxiety pills and sleeping pills with large quantities of alcohol.

1. Milk thistle will not stop her getting liver damage
    2. She is playing russian roulette combining these sleeping tablets with alcohol and is lucky to wake up the next morning at all! It is widely known that combining them can cause death.
    3. That is only the physical and I cant imagine what it is doing to her mental health. Alcohol is a major depressant and completely dampens the effect of the anti depressant and the anti anxiety pills which can cause a major 'downer' that can last days or even weeks and can often result in the patient upping the dose and self-prescribing larger quantities of meds to restore the original benefits.

If she doesnt stop binge drinking soon I dread to think what could happen to her. Sounds like she needs to speak to a therapist/counsellor as someone with a sound mind would not be taking all these meds with loads of booze. Doctors are far too quick to prescribe pills in my opinion some of them are glorified drug dealers. Im not for one minute knocking these meds being prescribed in the right circumstance and to someone who will take them properly and not risk their lives. I have been on an antidepressant for the past 2 years and I know if I drink too much it brings me right back to the dark place I was before I started the meds. Not worth it. My gp told me to drink a few in moderation and she stressed the 'in moderation' part. Tell her to get help - fast!

• Advertisement

Thanks very much guys, maybe if I show her this thread she may see sense. She really has her head in the sand and doesn't want to hear what we have to say to her. I am really angry with the doctor that he would prescribe such a cocktail of meds.

lukesmom- you said that she could start upping the dosage herself to get the same benefits as before! Is there a danger that you can unintentionally overdose on anti-depressants?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I take a mood stabiliser, an anti-depressant and sleeping pills and all of them say it is best to avoid alcohol on the leaflet. I'd be especially wary of mixing sleeping tablets with alcohol. Binge drinking is never a good idea, but on top of an amount of medication that specifically advise to avoid alcohol, it's a total no no.

GP's do tend to prescribe anti-d's rather flippantly these days, imo but it does tend to be quite a low dose etc., and I'm sure considering the mix she has been prescribed, her GP is confident that this is necessary. It is also likely that the sleeping pills were prescribed short term, because most are quite addictive and only intended for use over a short period of time.

Tbh, I'd be particularly worried about the binge drinking, as opposed to one glass of wine. Drinking a copious amount with only the intention to get drunk is a huge red flag for me, when someone is on anti-d's and is depressed. She may be using alcohol as an escape route or whatever. Definitely try talk to her about this, and maybe when you're meeting up, do so in a setting that doesn't involved getting drunk.

All the best, hope things look up for your friend.

lukesmom- you said that she could start upping the dosage herself to get the same benefits as before! Is there a danger that you can unintentionally overdose on anti-depressants?

lukesmom, i deleted your response to this question as it was inaccurate.

it is possible to accidentally overdose on anti-depressants, even when taking relatively few over the prescribed dose. the effects would vary from person to person, depending on their medical history, other meds they are on etc etc

op your friend should not be taking extra of any prescribed medication without consulting her doctor.

Yeah the leaflet you get with the anti-d's tells you what to do if you accidently overdose on the tablets-basically just go to hospital asap, call a doctor etc, it actually says on it that its a good idea to show a friend/family member a copy of the sheet in case of emergency.

If your friend is experiencing suicidal thoughts, she should inform her doctor asap who will then really strictly monitor the amount of meds she has. This website http://www.studentdepression.org/ has really good information on treatment options for depression-its a UK website but it lists the different therapies etc available.

Just want to add hope your friend is better soon-she is lucky to have a caring friend, no doubt that support will help her pull through =)

I don't think she is suicidal (well I hope not :( ). My concern was that she seemed to be taking a lot of medication and I was worried that with the drinking especially at weekends that she'd forget she took them or take more to compensate for the downer on alcohol.

I didn't see any leaflet but I'll check out that website now.
    She doesn't want to listen to me or other friend when we voice our concerns, she becomes annoyed with us and tries to change the topic or tells us we are being stupid etc. I hope she'll be ok. Thanks for the info.

I agree its unlikely that she is suicidal but just wanted to mention it, just in case! From what you've said, I think her depression will start to lift with some counselling/therapy, taking her medication properly etc. etc. If she's into support groups (suits some people, doesn't suit others-really depends on the person themselves), then Aware and GROW do meetings and I've heard they're good-if you go to the website, you can look up meetings for her area..mightn't be a bad idea just to email her the info even, so at least she knows she has that option. http://www.aware.ie/
    http://www.grow.ie/

The leaflet I'm on about is in the box of tablets she has (you know, like listing the possible side effects of the medication etc?) Oh, if shes ever stuck for help, samaritans are there too-1850 60 90 90 http://www.samaritans.org/

The former 2fm DJ Gareth O'Callaghan has a book on his battle with depression, I've read it, its quite good-its called "A day called hope: a personal journey beyond depression". He had depression for yrs but managed to overcome it with medication, diet exercise etc-its rather inspiring, basically talking about what worked for him. It will also help your friend realise that she's not alone, that depression is a common enough ailment. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Called-Hope-Personal-Depression/dp/0340826495/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281128927&sr=8-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Purple88

Just my 2 cents,

But from my own experience, alcohol and anti depressants don't work well - and alcohol is definitely a depressant for those vunerable to depression.

Advertisement