Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phoenix Park Castleknock Gate to close

• 17-09-2009 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Was driving into work this morning and I saw a sign saying that the Castleknock Gate into the park will be closed from Sept 28th to Nov 30th for roadworks!
    This is going to cause a lot of problems I think.
    Could they not have done this during the summer??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Would it not be more disruptive in the Summer rather than the Winter? I am sure that fewer people use the park for recreation in the Winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

joolsveer wrote: »
    Would it not be more disruptive in the Summer rather than the Winter? I am sure that fewer people use the park for recreation in the Winter.

Perhaps, but I was speaking from a commuter point of view. The traffic is mental enough in the park and Castleknock without this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Is it for that long ? I spotted when it's closed from on the sign but never caught exactly until when, I thought it was only until Sept 30th ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Jip wrote: »
    Is it for that long ? I spotted when it's closed from on the sign but never caught exactly until when, I thought it was only until Sept 30th ?

it is from Sep 28 to nov 30. Saw it on all three signs, one of the advantages of travelling by moped is you are slow enough to read all the signs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Can't find any information about the closure on either the opw website or the phoenix park website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've seen it on the signs in the Park. Seems like a long time for a simple project. Why they couldn't have done it before schools went back and the daylight was longer. Muppets.

Why do they need to do it at all?

I went through the Castleknock Gate yesterday evening and the electronic sign has now gone. So are we all under some mass hallucination or have they cancelled/postponed the works ?

Having said that I did see lads from a construction company on the road, probably an advanced survey or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

I rang OPW and couldn't get an answer. What works will be carried out?

The electronic signs are still all over. I wonder what muppet decided to do this now the schools ate back and traffic is increasing. So stupid. I don't see why the pedistrian gate would be closed.

Waste of money this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I rang the Phoenix Park office (the number mentioned on White's Gate wrt repainting all gates).

The gates will be closed for 5-9 weeks (the latter figure is to allow for unforeseen issues). The temporary roundabout at Mountjoy Cross is being replaced with a permanent one.
    There are also considerable drainage issues at the junction and these will be addressed at the same time.

The funding for the project only came available recently, hence the seemingly

Information will be posted to the Phoenix Park web site today. I suggested that this update contain as much info as possible so that the office won't be inundated with calls (most callers are very irate apparently).

They will email me some info later (probably a duplicate of the info due on the site) and I will post it here.

Maybe Dublin Bus and Irish Rail should be out promoting their services in the run up to the closure.

I did ask if the new permanent roundabout would impact the motor races. Apparently I'll have to talk to the foreman to get an answer to that.

Web site updated now.
    Castleknock Gate Closure
    Mountjoy Junction, Phoenix Park, Dublin 8.

For safety reasons the temporary roundabout at Mountjoy junction will be replaced with a permanent roundabout facilitating vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians.

In order to facilitate this essential work, Castleknock Gate will be closed to vehicular traffic from Mon, 28th September for a maximum of nine weeks and will re-open on 30th November 2009. Cyclists and pedestrians can use the Castleknock pedestrian gates as normal.

The following traffic arrangements have been agreed with the Gardaí and will be put in place for the duration of this project.

Roads
    Furze Road - open to vehicles both ways linking Chesterfield Avenue to the Ordnance Survey Road/Knockmaroon Gate. Access to Ordnance Survey and Farmleigh from the Furze Road.

Odd Lamp Road - open to vehicular traffic both ways linking Chesterfield Avenue to the Back Road.

Both these roads will be open for the duration of the works 24 hours a day.

Gates
    Cabra Gate - open 24 hours - Exit only from Phoenix Park
    Ashtown Gate - open 24 hours - Entry only to Phoenix Park

Directional signage will be in place for the duration of these works.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Map: Map indicating changes.

The map image has been changed to a PDF showing the closures.

Man its going to be a nightmare. What a diasaster.

At least the two gates are being made one way. The ashtown gates are much too dangerous as it is with traffic from all directions trying to get through there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

im not 100% familiar with this area but does the closure mean more traffic will be using the gridlocked N3/blanchardstown roundabout ?

Traffic from Carpenterstown may head through Chapelizard but that's already bad. Rest that comes through Castleknock village will head down Blackhorse Ave or Navan Rd. I for one will be cycling more. At the moment try to cycle 3/4 times a week. But no way I'm sitting in that traffic. Quick note to drivers, try remember the cyclists and leave a bit of room between path and your car.

Traffic from Carpenterstown may head through Chapelizard but that's already bad. Rest that comes through Castleknock village will head down Blackhorse Ave or Navan Rd. I for one will be cycling more. At the moment try to cycle 3/4 times a week. But no way I'm sitting in that traffic. Quick note to drivers, try remember the cyclists and leave a bit of room between path and your car.

Same here. my 2/3 times a week will now be 5 times.

What they need at ashtown is a roundabout. Even with it going to oneway.

Good idea, and the room is there for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

At least they have changed Cabra and Ashtown gates to entry only/exit only. About time too. Where they have done this previously (Islandbridge/Chapelizod), I feel that it has made a difference to traffic conjestion in the area.

• Advertisement

Traffic from Carpenterstown may head through Chapelizard but that's already bad. Rest that comes through Castleknock village will head down Blackhorse Ave or Navan Rd.
    Traffic through Castleknock village can enter at Ashtown Gate and make their way onto the main road via North Road/Odd Lamp Road.
    I for one will be cycling more. At the moment try to cycle 3/4 times a week. But no way I'm sitting in that traffic.
    I hope that the closure will get more people to try cycling, though at 3/4 times a week, you are probably already a 'convert'.

A convert indeed. And sure great for keeping fit. After damage to knees I can't jog as much so the cycling is great.
    I wonder if the plans for bus lanes on Castleknock road are going ahead. It could be a few months of discontent for drivers through Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MIP

At least the two gates are being made one way. The ashtown gates are much too dangerous as it is with traffic from all directions trying to get through there.

It's going to be a disaster at Ashtown gate as all the traffic that normally enters through the regulated traffic lights at Castleknock gate will be diverted that way, and as people wait to turn right (either in through Ashtown Gate or down Blackhorse Avenue) it will back up to Castleknock village. Unless there's a Garda placed at that junction I can see complete and utter carnage/gridlock.

Fcuking joke of a country where significant decisions such as this are made at the last minute as "funding becomes available".

+1 ashtown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

JUST TO SAY THIS IS TOMORROW Just a warning for the people who forgot or didn'y heard about it.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/news/story.asp?ID=1491

Not a day to drive if you've any other way of getting to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Drove in this morning, flashing signs everywhere saying castleknock gate closed. Got to the gate thinking I'll be diverted to Ashtown gate, but no.. gate's open, cars are driving in...

So I followed everyone else... No closure, everything's as normal.. except for the flashing signs.. go figure?!

crótach wrote: »
    Drove in this morning, flashing signs everywhere saying castleknock gate closed. Got to the gate thinking I'll be diverted to Ashtown gate, but no.. gate's open, cars are driving in...

So I followed everyone else... No closure, everything's as normal.. except for the flashing signs.. go figure?!

Not happening 'til 11am. This evening and tomorrow morning are going to be fun, not! :eek::eek::eek:

crótach wrote: »
    go figure?!

As said above, it's from 11am.

However, the Navan Road inbound was backed up from the Halfway House roundabout as far as the Auburn Avenue Roundabout. I don't think I've ever seen traffic backed up that bad before. I'm guessing that this is alot of people who didn't realise the closure was from 11am looking for alternative routes all taking the Navan Road.

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »
    As said above, it's from 11am.

However, the Navan Road inbound was backed up from the Halfway House roundabout as far as the Auburn Avenue Roundabout. I don't think I've ever seen traffic backed up that bad before. I'm guessing that this is alot of people who didn't realise the closure was from 11am looking for alternative routes all taking the Navan Road.

Who would have guessed? ;)
    Just wait 'til tomorrow morning! :eek:

MIP wrote: »
    Just wait 'til tomorrow morning! :eek:

I look forward to it ! I'll be on the bike, Mondays are the fresh clothing supply run for the office.

I didn't hear anything about the 11am either. Only heard about it on the Dub City radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Quick question - will Castleknock Gate still be open to pedestrians & cyclists or is it completely closed off?

Pedestrian and cyclists can use it, presumably by the current pedestrian entrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

trad wrote: »

Hi Trad,

I never looked for the installation of a permanent r'about on Chesterfield Avenue. All I wanted was the surface of Chesterfield Avenue to be upgraded!

This is possible to do without any road closures.

Do you remember about 4 to 5 years ago they resurfaced the North Circular road from the Park Gate to Aughrim Street. They did not need to close the road to do this, they stripped the top surface and then re-laid a new surface and all this was done without the road being closed as they did it by using rolling blocks on the road.

Also is 9 weeks not a bit excessive to install a roundabout on a road??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Posted in jest. Both threads were running at the same time. The road is in a bad way and badly need repair. The OPW is a very slow moving beast and I'd say it had been on the cards for some time. The NCR is managed by Dublin City Council, a road authority with responsibilities to motorists whereas the OPW is not.

I think they are fixing the drainage problems at that roundabout too.

That said they did very little today.

celticbest wrote: »
    Also is 9 weeks not a bit excessive to install a roundabout on a road??
    As BostonB says, there are serious drainage issues at that roundabout and these are being fixed at the same time.

9 weeks is a pessimistic estimate. 5 weeks is the optimistic timeframe.
    I do agree that they should be working 24/7 (or near enough). The nearest neighbours are a good distance away (with plenty of trees between them) so noise should not be a big problem.

Well the N3 between Auburn Avenue and the Halfway House appeared to be its normal self today after the mess that was yesterday, but by all accounts it was a mess everywhere else around the park.

How hard is it for people to read road signs ? I was in the park yesterday evening and the amount of morons that were going around the road closed signs to try exit at Ashtown Gate was ridiculous, one twat go almost right up to the gate before a garda stopped him and made him turn around.

Thankfully I was on the road early enough to avoid the worst of it, left Laurel Lodge at 7.45 and took an hour to get in so about 15-20 mins worse than usual. Heard a lot of people were much worse off though.

Turned right off the Castleknock Road at Myo's and entered the Park at Knockmaroon Gate. Was ok apart from the stretch between Castleknock College/Farmleigh Woods and the gate which was bedlam and didn't move for about 10 mins and then only slowly so took about 20 mins to travel that little bit. Just glad I wasn't trying to get out of Carpenterstown as people couldn't turn right at the lights at Castleknock College/Farmleigh Woods because of this.

Heard on the radio it was taking about 20 mins to get from Castleknock Gate to Ashtown Gate, that about right? Were there Gardai at Ashtown Gate keeping it moving?

Am sure it'll all change again tomorrow anyway as those who got stuck this morning try different routes.

• Advertisement

Ditto lots of people trying to get out whites gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Does anyone know what it's like going into the park via Ashtown Gate and exiting at Knockmaroon now that the system has been changed? I go home that way every evening and usually it's ok but last year it was a nightmare when they were carrying out the roadworks at Chapelizod. I imagine it's become even more of a rat run now that people can't leave via the Castleknock gate? :(

I think everyones just avoiding the park. Ive gone through on the bike around 6.30 and There doesn't seem to be much through traffic. Dunno what it's like at the gates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Anyone know if a motorbike will fit through the gap at Whites Gate - don't want to use Castleknock Gate as it is for cyclists & pedestrians only.

Some bikes use it, but I doubt a wide bike would get through. Just be aware theres lots of pedestrians, joggers and cyclists using that. From experience they just step through without looking. As its at the bottom of a hill cyclists usually whip through at a fair speed and you can be surprised by someone appearing in the gateway.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Just came through White's Gate tonight on my motorbike - plenty of room.

Take it easy will ya. Some rip through it then roar off away from it. They'll close it or put turnstile at it if that continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Whats the traffic like in Chapelizod in the mornings now? I will be leaving around 7.15 - 7.30 in the mornings.

I am starting a new job out on the naas road next Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

I pity those people coming from clonsilla/hartstown/blakestown heading iinto town.

The roadworks on Blakestown way alongwith that joke of a traffic signal beside Lidl was having people stuck in that area for upto 30-40 minutes this morning!

Throw in the Navan Road and the old cabra Road and we were seeing massive tailbacks this morning. I would love to know how people got on on the 39 bus this morning? :eek:

It would probably only take 60 mins or less to cycle it from the Blanch center.

Blanch center > Coolmine > Riverwood > Phoenix Park > etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement