Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phoenix Park Castleknock Gate to close

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I can't believe they waited for the schools to be back before starting on the road works on the blakestown road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Any idea how long it would take to get through Carpenterstown & Chapelizod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you listen to 103 Dublin city in the morning it would give you some idea. I'm guessing it must be at least 30 mins on a bad day. I don't go that way myself.

They are closing Luttrellstown/Carpenterstown road in front of castleknock college for a week. Theres signs up for it on the road.. I assume they are resurfacing it. Nothing on Fingals Website.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MIP

BostonB wrote: »
    They are closing Luttrellstown/Carpenterstown road in front of castleknock college for a week. Theres signs up for it on the road.. I assume they are resurfacing it. Nothing on Fingals Website.

While Castleknock Gate is closed? You really have to admire the joined up thinking and forward planning in operation in Dublin West traffic planning. :mad:

I didn't get a good look at the signs. But I think its Oct 19~25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I didn't get a good look at the signs. But I think its Oct 19~25.

Waiting until the following week when the schools are off would be far too sensible :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You should email the Roads Department with questions on the work, including the timing i.e. why not a week later.

The recent resurfacing of other parts of this road, and of Roselawn Road, was done at night. Maybe this work will be done by night too.

As a cyclist, resurfacing of this road is very welcome. The road was opened a few years ago, to bring water mains to the apartments on Whites Road. They did a terrible job recovering the opening and this, unsurprisingly, lead to the crap state we see now. IMO this was a failing of FCC, failing to insist that the road be returned to a good state after the water main work was done.

Agreed it's the worst part of my commute. The Tarmac is very coarse on one side vibration on the bike is brutal. The other side is just falling apart. It needs to be wider too.

• Advertisement

MIP wrote: »
    While Castleknock Gate is closed? You really have to admire the joined up thinking and forward planning in operation in Dublin West traffic planning. :mad:
    Heroditas wrote: »
    Waiting until the following week when the schools are off would be far too sensible :rolleyes:
    No need to panic - it is to be closed at night, 8pm to 6am according to Boston B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Just wondering if anyone know what stage the works are at ??

Is there any chance that it will be completed before the end of November??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Hard to know without seeing the full plans. The roundabout has taken shape anyway, the kerbing around it is all done although they'll need to remove some at the end of the footpath and cycle lane, they were working on it bank holiday Monday. Not too sure about the drainage though, the ditches from the Castleknock gate to the roundabout were full of water meaning if there was continuing rainfall it would have spilled over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Does anybody know if the re-opening of the Castleknock Gate is still on for the 30th of November as stated on the phoenix Park website??

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,11997,en.html

The roundabout looks more or less done but I don't know how much work is involved with drainage as the ditches either side have been full to the brim each time I've gone by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

its opening on monday 23rd November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MIP

pvt.joker wrote: »
    its opening on monday 23rd November

Thanks, confirmation here for anyone who wants it:
    http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,11997,en.html

It was open this evening. It looks quite minimal.

daymobrew wrote: »
    It was open this evening. It looks quite minimal.

Other than a brick circle you'd think it had hardly changed. I wonder is it as visible at night? Be interesting to see does it flood now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I thought when it was closed for a few weeks that they might resurface the road also but this was not done.

I see the indo says this junction had one of the highest accidents in the city for years. Is that true I find that hard to believe.

Of course the indo is hard to believe at the best of times

• Advertisement

I wonder is it as visible at night?
    On the approach from Ordnance Survey Road, there is a very visible reflector right at the junction - it looks like one of the vertical markers that made up the old roundabout.

I wonder is it as visible at night?.

Very, I went by it one night last week on the bike with a fairly decent light and it was like I was approaching an landing strip such was the amount of very reflective cat eyes. That's as long as they remain clean I guess.

daymobrew wrote: »
    On the approach from Ordnance Survey Road, there is a very visible reflector right at the junction - it looks like one of the vertical markers that made up the old roundabout.

I kinda meant more visible than the temp one. Which had the advantage of being removable for events like car racing.

I kinda meant more visible than the temp one. Which had the advantage of being removable for events like car racing.
    Compared to the temp one I don't think that the roundabout itself was very visible - it is very shallow, sort of like the bump roundabout on Auburn Ave at N3.

I was commenting that one should not fail to see the junction because of the reflective item at the edge of the roundabout. I think you have to see it.

You're right. Came through last night and is lit like a run way. Is smaller now and the turn is either narrower or the kerbs stick out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I see the indo says this junction had one of the highest accidents in the city for years. Is that true I find that hard to believe.

When it was just a crossroads it had a fairly bad reputation, alright, but that's going back a while now.

I cycled past there the other day and I did wonder what they'd been doing for all that time. The road surface between the Mountjoy roundabout and the Castleknock gate is a bad as it was. The new roundabout looks so tight that I'd say it'd be hard to get around it without swinging wide of the marked lane. Plus, from what I've heard there seem to have been the same old problems with flooding (mind you, this might not be the fairest time to judge that one).

Advertisement