Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I says to the PC version I says..

Options
  • 17-09-2009 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

This is strangely different to the PS3 version... for me anyway. Feels like the timings are different.

I'm playing it both on my laptop when I'm lazy and feel like some sf4 while still in bed... and my PC.

I dunno I mean I'm using the same damn controller I would be for playing on my ps3 just that its now connected with a wire instead of bluetooth. Yet it doesn't seem to pick up my inputs the same way the ps3 did. Its odd.

But anyway about playing online, 1st of all, online on my laptop is HORRIBLE. But I assume this is due to playing on wireless as the fps is showing 60. But on the ps3 if say I played someone in new zealand (yes, I've done this) what I'll experience is massive massive input delay.

But here I'm faced with the game itself slowing down, but the speed is always fluctuating making it really hard to adjust to the input timing. Its no where near as bad on my pc, but every now and then I do get a 'laggy' game on my pc and its similar stuff. I have to deal with delay AND the game speed changing all the time mid match. & I've no idea if the other guys I'm playing is experiencing the same stuff.

You have people flicking around being a little slow for one part of an animation and then flicking really fast to the next.

Its very tiny stuff now mind you but it ****s up some things. Say, ryus standard corner ultra trap, you land a ex tatsu combo on the guy then do ultra. Very easy to do.
    3 times now on the pc version I've missed this cause the guy would be spinning between my feet at one particular speed, but when he flys out to hit the wall that'll happen at a different speed resulting in me ****ing up my timing and my ultra coming out when the guys already on the ground.

That is match costing stuff.

Then there are times my inputs seem to come out much...sooner.. then I'm used to on the ps3...lol. Its just weird.

I really didnt expect an such a difference with inputs between ps3. Its not horrible or anything, its just not the 'same' thus its gonna take a little getting used to.

Whats funny is it reminds me how playing 3s online was when things got bad, game slowing down, etc. I wonder how much of it is due to people playing it on lower speced pc's. Would love to see a laggy pc side by side with a normal one playing each other and seeing how the games match up. Its annoying a critical moment crops up and the game turns into slow motion. I mean the matrix was good and all but ffs :p and I wonder if its playing at the same speed for the other guy :S It'd have to be. :confused: Otherwise he'd be ahead in time lol :S

Anyway I might be making it out to sound horrible, its not at all, its pretty good, I just find these issues really odd when they do come up. Connecting to people is so much faster on the pc version. The PC players seem to be far more up for going a few rounds, and wont kick you for beating them on the 1st round or vice versa if they beat you. Even on ranked, the same people didn't mind to keep playing me even though they lost points to me every time.

If that was psn and I beat them and joined back into their room I'd be kicked right away. Seems its more about the GGs and less about the GP etc on the PC version , which I expected tbh.

Anyways I gotta start playing some of you guys on here, as I wont be able to make this saterday either :( My account name is 'therealSisko' :rolleyes: It has me down as region United States for some annoying reason. I dunno if this effects who pops up when I search for matches. Hmmm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

The slowdown you are experiencing is more then likely down to your opponents crap PC - the game has to run at the FPS of the lowest spec machine - if that dips below 60 it will throttle the performance of a better a machine down to match - this will cause that frustrating slow-fast-stop-fast-slow.... gameplay.

If both people can get a steady 60fps then there should be no lag.

the universal hardware the PS3/360 version has means that its a level playing field with regards everything but net connection - wont suffer from this PC problem.

Add to that wireless internet and PC mp gaming dont like each other :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Hercule wrote: »
    The slowdown you are experiencing is more then likely down to your opponents crap PC - the game has to run at the FPS of the lowest spec machine - if that dips below 60 it will throttle the performance of a better a machine down to match - this will cause that frustrating slow-fast-stop-fast-slow.... gameplay.

Ah indeed! But you see, now this has been brought up before, and its been said that in fact, if one guy is playing at 15 fps, and the other at 60, it doesn't effect the match at all. (if everyones playing at fixed frame rate) and thus the guy playing a 60 would play a really smooth game regardless that the other guy is playing at 15...so yeah I just dunno :confused: Hence why I'd love to see a side by side comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I get slowdown like that both on the PC and 360 when I'm on wireless Cunny, and no problems when I'm on a LAN cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's probably down to small stuff that added together changes the experience.

Different refresh rates on your PC monitor and PS3 monitor.
    Different sizes of the monitor used.
    Different Resolutions.
    The fact that the PC version is based off the 360 version.....which is slightly different to the ps3 version.

I play at 1920x1200 on my PC where as i'm on 720p on my 360. My Pc monitor is 27 inches...and Im about 1 foot away from the screen. My 360 monitor is 100 inches....and i'm about 7 feet away.

....it DOES feel a little different. I just got used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ye id say its down to the difference between the monitor and tv.
    I find playing on the xbox tvs up in xgc really weird.
    One example is blankas combo j.hp > lp > elec I use a lot. The way I do it is jump in and hit hp and then start mashing on lp. When I do this on those tvs a lot of the time it skips the lp like im mashing too hard so it comes out j.hp > elec. Same thing with the crossup elec combo but I piano that.
    I thought this was cos maybe im used to playing online but I went into training at home and even with me mashing as hard as possible I can rarely recreate what happens on those tvs. Im not sure whats going on but its really offputting. I dont think it happens on the sony tvs in there either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It could be the lag from the tv/monitor affecting your timing. There's a few frames of lag on cheaper LCD and Plasma TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Afaik Cunny uses the same monitor for the PS3 and PC....perhaps its the DVI/HDMI connections?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I've gotten to used to 15FPS that if I play on 30FPS the extra frames make my moves feel slower due to showing more of the animations and my timing goes to absolute pot, hence I have to record via FRAPS for the FPS I'm used to which is insane.

You're crazy. You must have been playing too much FFVII and think 15fps is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You're crazy. You must have been playing too much FFVII and think 15fps is acceptable.

Oh god, not the fps argument again :p

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Several people feel the monitors on the Xbox 360's in the XGC have input lag. Myself, Mike, The Witch, Blag and now apparently Bush.

Myself and Blag noticed that cross up into block strings simply did not work and we basically got hit with a reversal every time we attempted this. I found wake up teleports impossible as well.

PS3 monitors seem fine though.

As for the PC version different to the PS3. You I noticed slightly different timings but I can adapt to either now.

As for fluctuating speeds. If the game runs consistently slow during an online game its your opponent setting his frame rate to variable.

You do get random lag online of course which is normal. But if your finding random frame rate drops, update your drivers and ensure no background applications are running. De fragmenting your hard drive is another good idea. Its not uncommon for frame rate fluctuations on PC's which have not been properly maintained, but its usually not that important in other games, just painfully important in SF IV.

• Advertisement

Might be a good idea to see if we can switch the TVs around next time (or find a new venue...).

Already asked about that and they said they where not able to. As for another venue, got any suggestions?

Azza wrote: »
    As for another venue, got any suggestions?

I was enquiring about the Mezzanine in DCU, it is more open and relaxed with plenty of xbox360's, very much like the venue for the recent tourny up in belfast university. Unfortunately, I have not heard back from them and I don't think they have ps3s.

But in any case, if we did find another venue they would probably have poor quality screens anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

tbh Im quite happy with our current setup. Its in a good location and its a fiver a head for 4 hours.....we aren't going to get better value than that anywhere else. Don't really see the delay myself, but then I don't play a combo character.

Several people feel the monitors on the Xbox 360's in the XGC have input lag. Myself, Mike, The Witch, Blag and now apparently Bush.

Aye those tvs are dodgy, you only have to look at them really. I think we should play matches on the ps3 where possible. Even stuff like crossing up on wakeup feels off to me on those tvs.

Most people are Xbox users, switching to a primarily PS3 hosted competition will result in alot of players being unable to use their own controllers which I think would cause a bigger uproar than the dodgy TV's on the Xbox's.

Most people are Xbox users, switching to a primarily PS3 hosted competition will result in alot of players being unable to use their own controllers which I think would cause a bigger uproar than the dodgy TV's on the Xbox's.

Ye im not saying to switch to ps3 completely. A lot of people wouldn't mind playing on ps3 if they could use someone's stick. Id rather use someone else's stick than play on the tv's from hell anyway.
    Obviously 360 pad players would play on 360 though.

I was mainly talking about how lag is so different from the PS3 version compared to the pc and its really seeming like inputs are read differently on the pc regardless of lag. When I play on my laptop I expect it to be laggy alright, due to the wireless, its just the way it lags I find odd.
    I won't bother trying to adapt to higher FPS unless I get a computer capable of playing at 60FPS on full GFX settings, otherwise it'd be a waste of time for me.
    You really should though man, your limiting your experience and at this stage you really can't be calling yourself a casual sf player anymore :p I'd say you'd enjoy the game even more playing it at 60. I don't think it'd take you that long to adjust and remember your totally eliminating your ability to play people in real life. Few cans with a bit of SF in mates gaf, never mind a friendly tourny.

At least don't say never :p

I've had 2bar connection players work 100% smoothly and 4-5bar players mysteriously lag, beit spikes or all-out disconnects - This is the only thing that resembles what you mention that I've experienced (though Im aware they are not the same thing, of course, as you're on about the feeling between the two versions).
    No your right this is something I'm getting alright. I mean generally the main difference for me is jsut the inconsistency of connections. Even when I'm playing people with great ping and we've a good connection, it starts to feel I'm inputting **** too early!! So it can go from FAR better then ps3 to far far worse...with randomly different people. Its odd lol.

& just to note, I consider the PC version better than the ps3 I'm just surprised on how much adjusting is needed and the difference in feeling.
    GFX settings on laptop, be sure there's no scumbags leeching your wireless connection and sucking bandwidth and, erm... Pray?

Once again I only play on my laptop when I'm messin , if I'm playing properly I'm on my pc which is on a network wire. My laptop can play the game at 60fps though not maxed out, but I'd be on wireless then and wireless and streetfighter do not mix, I know this from my 3s days hehe :p

Kirby wrote: »
    Different refresh rates on your PC monitor and PS3 monitor.
    Different sizes of the monitor used.
    Different Resolutions.

I use my PC monitor for my PS3 also. My ps3 is set up along side my PC and I can switch between them at a press of a button. :D
    Kirby wrote: »
    The fact that the PC version is based off the 360 version.....which is slightly different to the ps3 version.
    This could be something alright.

bush wrote: »
    Ye id say its down to the difference between the monitor and tv.
    I find playing on the xbox tvs up in xgc really weird.

Yeah I've heard a good few people there mentioning this. Its gas how theres almost no escape from lag. Us fighting game peeps have to worry about lag online, lag on monitors, lag on converters etc etc lol....

:(

But if your finding random frame rate drops, update your drivers and ensure no background applications are running. De fragmenting your hard drive is another good idea. Its not uncommon for frame rate fluctuations on PC's which have not been properly maintained, but its usually not that important in other games, just painfully important in SF IV.

Deffo gotta do this on the auld laptop alright but as for pc its not really FPS drops its just the timing of inputs would be changing mid match against some players. Its just odd.
    animaX wrote: »
    I was enquiring about the Mezzanine in DCU,

Man I've said this before, and maybe I'm wrong but as far as I remember you have to be a IN DCU ie, have a DCU student card to use the place. And it closes at 5. Plus its a little small, I mean I can't see a tourney happening there. However it would be cool to play a bit of SFIV there from time to time, it has been something I've thought of when I've been up there on the macs, noticing all those poor fools playing lesser games like pro evo and such :p

Not that I'd could play with a 360 pad anyways but...yeah lol :p

Wow, thats a lot of multi-quoting :eek:

As for the Mezzanine, yes you have to be a student but I was trying to see if the place could be used on a saturday when most student are not around (hoping they might make an exception). It was always a long shot, I was just enquiring.

But I don't think its too small! It has around 10 xbox360's and it's less cramped than xgc. Most likely not gonna happen unfortunately :(

Yeah its what happens when I make a thread and don't come back to it till the end of the day hehe

• Advertisement

Well we've switched from Eircom to UPC in the gaf and of course the modem is downstairs now. Which means now my PC is connected wirelessly :mad: It was really bad at 1st but I'm running a little program that stops windows from refreshing a scan for other wireless connections, which caused the game to pause every now and then.

Its runs surprisingly smoothly for a wireless connection , but theres still a little input lag for me. Its no where near has horrible as wireless was on my laptop though, I've yet to try wireless on that now that I've on UPC however so I dunno.

Adding people to GFWL now anyways, whos playing on the PC version online these days?

Sweet Cunny, was wondering what that pause every few minutes was. What's the program?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Adding people to GFWL now anyways, whos playing on the PC version online these days?

I'm on most days, usually between 7pm and 11pm. If you see me on just send me an invite.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Sweet Cunny, was wondering what that pause every few minutes was. What's the program?

For vista theres this : http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=2&lang=en

XP theres this thing http://www.elligs.net/index.php?site=mirrors&gruppe=wzs123&alink=&adminlink= wireless zero shutdown (took me awhile to find it again, couldnt find the original place I downloaded it from some forum somewhere. )

Thing about xp is, that program will only work if your using whatever wireless card/usb stick's wireless connection program is. In other words if your using XP's in built wireless connection software , that program will cause issues. I've a netgear usb wireless thingy but was using XP's software for the connection, I now have to use the netgear one instead (which I find annoying) but its worth it for better online gaming.

I play once or twice a week, sometimes more, but sure feel free to add me if you like though if your nickname is different be sure to say you're from Boards - My YouTube channel ensures I have a steady flow of creepy stealth/friend adders as it id.

I sent yea an invite already 'therealSisko' but I forgot to say I was from boards.

Cheers man, good to know.

Advertisement