Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog for 4 year old.

Options
  • 17-09-2009 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Im posting this for my aunt. Her daughter is looking for a puppy, shes 4. They have a small farm and have a dog on it for her sons but its a large breed and as the daughter does try and play with the dog, she gets knocked over, by accident.
    She wants a small breed but the aunt would like one she could keep in the house a lot of the time so one that sheds very little. I know of bichon frese dogs but after that iv very little knowledge of companion breeds.
    Anyway, does anyone know of other small companion breeds or ones that would suit her? I used to have a Jack Russel myself and although i found him great i think she would need something a little less jumpy and mad:D
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Hi Op to be honest with you, if you are getting apuppy its all up to you which is your favourie to look at etc as you will mould the pup into being whatever kind of dog you want.

I love the mini Jack Russell. Alot of energy but great fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

I'd recommend going to a shelter and explaining the requirements; there's bound to be a suitable small dog unwanted somewhere.

Regarding purebreeds, the only small dog I've had is a Cavalier King Charles; lovely natured dog, was great with kids and didn't shed badly as long as she was kept trimmed and brushed every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Im posting this for my aunt. Her daughter is looking for a puppy, shes 4. They have a small farm and have a dog on it for her sons but its a large breed and as the daughter does try and play with the dog, she gets knocked over, by accident.
    She wants a small breed but the aunt would like one she could keep in the house a lot of the time so one that sheds very little. I know of bichon frese dogs but after that iv very little knowledge of companion breeds.
    Anyway, does anyone know of other small companion breeds or ones that would suit her? I used to have a Jack Russel myself and although i found him great i think she would need something a little less jumpy and mad:D
    Thanks guys

I spoke to a dog behaviourist before and they recommended the following breeds for young kids:

Pug, Beagle, Japanese Spitz, Cavalier King Charles.

She said they have a greater "tolerance and biddability" than most other breeds which would be needed with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

From a canadian dog breeding website. :D
    There are only 2 out of 164 registered CKC breeds that by their very breed standard must be good with children: Staffordshire Bull terrier is one of them.

When university researchers in the UK were asked to rate the best 10 breeds for children they selected the Staffordshire Bull Terrier for their list based on its "bomb-proof" nature.

Most importantly, when researchers in Germany studied inappropriate aggression in several breeds they found the same level of inappropriate displays of aggression across all the dogs in the studies with one "notable" exception. None of the Staffordshire Bull Terriers displayed any types of aggression disorders. (The same could not be said for the test group of Golden Retrievers.)
    The history of this breed does go back to dog fighting in the 1800s. However, this does not make them fundamentally different from other breeds. In fact, 88 of the 164 recognized CKC breeds were originally bred to something of equal severity, from hunting and killing fierce predators (including bears, badgers and lions) to biting or attacking people.
    Few realize that all of the "bully" breeds were killed without hesitation (culled) if they showed any sign of human aggression. These dogs lived in the family homes of poor people; because of this they had to be excellent around families and children in particular. This resulted in a dog of exceptional intelligence and temperament.
    The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a one of the friendliest and silliest breeds in the dog world. They are highly intelligent and extremely submissive to people.
    But what really sets the breed apart is their instinctive love for children. They have earned the title of "nanny dog".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

When I was a baby (1yo) my parents bought a Cavalier King Charles puppy. She was fantastic with me and never caused any problems with me. We grew up together and even shared baby chairs and pushchairs!

• Advertisement

I have a staffie. He is the business and I love him to bits.

He is great around kids but at the same time it would take young children an age to tire the guy out.

He needs alot of walking and exercise with a bit of football and fetch in the mix too every single day.

I wouldn't typically recommend the staffie for the kids first pet, If it is a jack russell or something small like that the exercise required and time amount of time it comsumes would be less.

It really depends on the time both you and the kids have to give the dog.

Some of the shelters are great for finding your dog. Most of the time in there it will belove at first sight for both you and your new dog. def worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Thanks guys, Anyone have any experience with yorksire terriers?
    Are websites any good of finding the breeds traits or is it a kind of 'everyone to their own' thing?
    @ Moondancer, a shelter is an option, just trying to find specific breeds at the mo. No rush for it as she was told she has enough animals (two rescue donkeys from the sanctuary, cat, old pony and a gunia pig), but its a kind of surprise;);) She also wants to be a "pet animal" when she grows up ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, Anyone have any experience with yorksire terriers?
    Are websites any good of finding the breeds traits or is it a kind of 'everyone to their own' thing?
    @ Moondancer, a shelter is an option, just trying to find specific breeds at the mo. No rush for it as she was told she has enough animals (two rescue donkeys from the sanctuary, cat, old pony and a gunia pig), but its a kind of surprise;);) She also wants to be a "pet animal" when she grows up ha ha

Terriers, like West Highland Terriers and Yorkshire Terriers, tend to have a bit of a shorter temper than other dogs and can snap a bit easier in my own experience.

I know they are very suitable for older kids (nearer ten) but I think a 4 year old might be a bit young for that particular breed.

Just my opinion though. Someone else might have one that could be brilliant with kids but a woman who rehomes terriers that I sought advice from before told me she'd never rehome a terrier in a house with a child under ten.

Indeed, my Mum has a West Highland Terrier and a Scottish Terrier, my aunts/grandparents have a few Westies, and one of my other grandparents used to have a Yorkshire Terrier.

In all cases, while they are sweet dogs to adults and older children, I wouldn't trust them with a young, annoying child.

You need a dog with a very even, happy temperment that is willing to tolerate pretty much anything, and while there are exceptions, the terrier group as a whole aren't known for this.

Cavaliers are a great choice imo, I would be less sure of a Staffy due to its strength and the fact that it's a restricted breed; fair enough for an older child, but a younger one ought to have a dog that it has some control over. Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are small, and happy dogs, and no risk of them overpowering a child due to their strength - the fact remains that regardless of some peoples' love for the Staffy breed (particularly on this forum it seems!) they are a medium sized dog (not small) and usually weigh 11-15kg, compared to the Cavalier's 6-10kg adult weight.

I think it depends how you are brought up and the ideas the adults around you give. For example, I would find it hard to trust a terrier around a child, just because when I was growing up, all of our terriers were narky little things. Where as I have lovely memories of climbing all over the bigger dogs as a child. Easily hurt dogs are more likely to snap I think. Staffies are robust creatues, and mine makes a lovely pillow (albeit a slightly smelly pillow at times). My boy loves my little sister and is so so gentle with kids, most people with a staffy will say the same.

You are right, staffy love (indeed restricted love <LOL>) is very apparant in this forum. And I think it's a better forum for it.

Anyway the thread was for the OP to ask advice on what breed to get. It's not up to me to say anything beyond what I think. I think a staffy is a lovely dog for a child. It's been proven that they are one of the best dogs for a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Best of all has to be cavelier King Charles.

We have 2.... first one now 10 and got it when my daughter was 3

Second one we got as a pup 2 years ago.

Dogs will play with any kids, and each other....even if kids pull out of them or worse, they will never react.

The only thing about them is that they have ABSOLUTELY NO sense....thickos but great dogs for kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

What about a ****z Szu (not sure I've spelled that right)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Obviously I didn't spell that right as most of the name has been replaced by asterisks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

i used to have a yorkie and wouldnt recommend them with young children

have a cavalier king charles now and she is briliant with kids, so gentle and tolerant and really adorable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

As the part owner of 5 terriers, don't even mildly consider going there if you have a child.

I think it depends how you are brought up and the ideas the adults around you give. For example, I would find it hard to trust a terrier around a child, just because when I was growing up, all of our terriers were narky little things. Where as I have lovely memories of climbing all over the bigger dogs as a child. Easily hurt dogs are more likely to snap I think. Staffies are robust creatues, and mine makes a lovely pillow (albeit a slightly smelly pillow at times). My boy loves my little sister and is so so gentle with kids, most people with a staffy will say the same.

You are right, staffy love (indeed restricted love <LOL>) is very apparant in this forum. And I think it's a better forum for it.

Anyway the thread was for the OP to ask advice on what breed to get. It's not up to me to say anything beyond what I think. I think a staffy is a lovely dog for a child. It's been proven that they are one of the best dogs for a child.

What kind of terrier are you talking about when you say you would find it hard to trust around a child?

A staffie is also a terrier :confused:

wexford202 wrote: »
    What kind of terrier are you talking about when you say you would find it hard to trust around a child?

I think they mean the small, yappy, prone-to-snap-and-nip type terriers (westies, scotties, yorkshires etc), not big ones like the staffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

we have a yorkie cross and he was always greast with us, but always in trouble. A complete divel and couldn't be left alone as he had chewed stool legs, chairs, curtains shoes, socks towells and even managed to chew a built in wine rack we owned, pulled out the bottles, they smashed, and he ended up the same :rolleyes:
    I have found westies great little dogs, or maybe minature schnauzers. A friend of the family have a daughter with Down's Syndrome and they got her a minature schnauzer and from day one it has never caused any trouble or concerns. He is the most adorable and friendly little thing and does nothing but follow her round all day.

wexford202 wrote: »

Small terriers, JR's, borders, mongrels etc. Any I can remember as a child were pretty snappy. Where as the larger dogs were big softies. As I said, thats because of how the dogs were where I grew up. Not a reflection on how I really feel about terriers, just one of those silly ideas you carry from childhood. My mam has a jr now who is amazing with everyone, kids included.

TBH I think a lot of it was to do with how the bigger dogs were treated. The smaller ones probably got away with more because they were small, the bigger ones, from the time they came to the house would have been quickly made know where they stand. They all got climbed on by a younger me :o patient sods.

OP looks like everyone is recommending a cav. :D You might have found your breed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I'd really recommend against a westie. They are very independent dogs and do not like being picked up/cuddled on a whim like a child might do. They will react very negatively to unwanted contact, i.e. snapping, growling, biting even. Their cute fluffy appearance is very deceptive! I know that all dogs cannot be tarred with the same brush but this is par for the course in my experience with these dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    I'd really recommend against a westie. They are very independent dogs and do not like being picked up/cuddled on a whim like a child might do. They will react very negatively to unwanted contact, i.e. snapping, growling, biting even. Their cute fluffy appearance is very deceptive! I know that all dogs cannot be tarred with the same brush but this is par for the course in my experience with these dogs.

I'd agree, my experience of westies is they are quite snappy, wouldn't like one myself. I have two jack russells myself and they love to play, they are friendly and love running around but also being able to sit in your lap and get rubs and scratches, they nearly compete to see who can cuddle up closest to me on the couch. They shed like crazy though! I have dog hair all over my house. I reckon don't go too small with the dog, it needs to be some way robust to withstand a child playing with it and pulling out of it. A lot of people here have suggested a King Charles and I'd probably agree if you don't fancy a Jack Russell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'd agree, my experience of westies is they are quite snappy, wouldn't like one myself. I have two jack russells myself and they love to play, they are friendly and love running around but also being able to sit in your lap and get rubs and scratches, they nearly compete to see who can cuddle up closest to me on the couch. They shed like crazy though! I have dog hair all over my house. I reckon don't go too small with the dog, it needs to be some way robust to withstand a child playing with it and pulling out of it. A lot of people here have suggested a King Charles and I'd probably agree if you don't fancy a Jack Russell!

I second the above opinions on Westies, my friends daughter got bitten on the face and back a few months back by one and when I'm walking my own two dogs in the local park they are always then ones lunging at passing dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 blossie

I have a basset hound who I would trust with my life. She is a big loveable slob who loves everyone and is everyones best friend. I would reccomend this breed highly with young children. They are a friend for life.

I have also a jack russell minature who was brought up with children from day 1. She was carried around in our pockets/hoodies as a pup. I personally would trust her with any child.

We also had several german shepards growing up as children and again these dogs were loveable family pets. They were very badly treated before we had them and my dad rescued them before they were going to be put down and gave them a second chance. My brother used to share the dog kennel when he was only 3 years of age. Him and the german shepard went every where and the dog looked after my brother. I know a bit mad but a bit like the "lassie" story. That dog would not let anybody near my brother when he was out playing in the garden if he didn't know them.

We have also had several Westies but I would not recommend them as they are quiet snappy and unpredictable and they like to think they are the boss of the house.

Lastly I have a labradour/x who is a big pet and loves the attention from all the kids on the road. He was rescued from the pound and is very trustworthy.

But then I think it all depends on how the animal is bred and how they are brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

We have a shetland sheepdog which I would definitely recommend. They are basically Lassie dogs but they only go up to about knee height. My mum has one and she shows it so I see quite a lot of them. They have a really good temperament, at least all the ones I have seen. Plus they are adorable to look at and really fluffy and fun for a young girl. I know I would have loved one as a kid. Plus, they like to be treated as working dogs so would have no problem going out on the farm and stuff like that. The only problem is a sheltie would need grooming but a young girl would probably like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

I have a cairn terrier x who is excellent with kids, not a typical terrier at all!!
    Id recommend just going to a shelter, having a look around, firstly without the little girl as im sure she'l want to bring them all home, a lot of dogs nowadays are being brought to shelters because owner is moving abroad so they will most likely be very well balanced, already housetrained and may even be from homes with children.
    If you contact 'dogs in distress' all there dogs come from pounds and then are put into foster homes as they don't actually have a physical shelter, fosterers will have a better idea of what the dog is like, will probably do a bit of basic training such as house and lead training, and will have a better idea of whether the dog will be suitable around children or not.

And bare in mind that individual dogs vary within each breed, some would be good with children others not so good, and never leave a child alone with a dog no matter how much you trust them, kids will be kids and no matter how much you tell them to respect a dog some will always think ''hey mommys not here so she won't see me if I pull doggy's tail/ears''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. If it was me i would be enclined to go wit a Cav or a small dog about two year old from a rescue. But i suggested a Cavalier and that was grand until another relation (who owns NO pets, but yet is an expert on every pet animal) said she's heard bad things on king charles. 'What?' i says. 'i dont know, i cant remember, just bad things' she says. So now il think il just sit this one out to keep peace. Its not the first time this person has given her expert opinion where not needed. I swear, she'd tell an eskimo how to build an igloo if she could. There's one in every family i suppose. Anyway thanks for all the helpful suggestions, hopefully they wil be listened to and not the 'experts':)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

I know how you feel!! I try giving advice to people and im told that im a know it all!! :rolleyes:
    You could try telling her that shes mixing up king Charles Spaniel with Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, they are after all two different breeds!!:D Good luck with the search for a dog anyways, I think most kids should grow up with a pet, it teaches them a lot and is so rewarding provided its done right!

Advertisement