Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

running 2 graphics cards

• 17-09-2009 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I currently run 2 monitors off of one card -
    256MB nVidia™ GeForce 8600GTS graphics card

and I want to install another card so I can support 3 monitors

XPS 420 Viiv Intel® Processor Q6600 Quad Core&#153 2.40GHz, 1066Mhz FSB, 8MB cache, is the motherboard

do I just buy a new card and slot it in, easy as that?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What Operating system are you running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Vista home

You will need a graphics card of the same manufacturer and driver as your current one, eg; nvidia; nvidia quatro, ati etc....

Other then that it should be painless.

This or this will do. The pci slot bit is important as your current card has the only pci-express slot in the system I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There are some switches you can buy that will just latch on to your existing card to accomplish the same thing.

• Advertisement

OK so basically I have to buy an NVidia GeForce card that slots into a PCI slot?

I cant order any of the above, I'm abroad in South America

Thanks

valor wrote: »
    OK so basically I have to buy an NVidia GeForce card that slots into a PCI slot?

I cant order any of the above, I'm abroad in South America

Thanks

And make sure its not a quattro.

new question : what type of graphics card do I need to support a 30 inch monitor? [2560 resolution]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Well Ive been using 30inches about half a decade now, so Id be pretty amazed if anything sold today couldnt support one. The only thing u need to check is if the monitor and card have compatible connectors (typically dual DVI), which they very likely will have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

valor wrote: »
    new question : what type of graphics card do I need to support a 30 inch monitor? [2560 resolution]

all newer cards will. the important thing is what will you be doing with it? If it's anything graphics intensive (like gaming for example) you'll want quite a high end card to keep up with that resolution. But if it's just for general office/home use then you could just get another one of the 8600GTS. You could probably pick one up off ebay for half nothing.

• Advertisement

Its not for gaming, I just want to be able to run the maximum resolttion [2560] or so

All newer cards definitely work?

From another site "The high resolution of the 3007 requires a graphics card with Dual Link DVI-D capability."

Can someone point out a card on some site that I can order delivered to Ireland that has this capacity and is compatible with my motherboard/PCI slot? Honestly I'm a technical retard and I keep getting confused, I'd really appreciate if someone can point something out

Advertisement