Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malware on my website

Options
  • 17-09-2009 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I got red-flagged by Google two days ago for having malicious software on my website (irishboard.ie). I didn't put it there. In fact, I wouldn't know how.

What other explanations might there be for how it got there?

(Btw, I've since taken down the site and put up a temporary page which has been declared clean by Google.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

You might have been hacked.
    I'd change your login details for your site and run an full scan on whatever pc was been used to edit the site.
    Also its no harm to inform your hosting provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davidmdot

Thank you for your suggestion RoadKillTs. That's what I thought. No idea why anyone would hack into my site though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

davidmdot wrote: »
    I got red-flagged by Google two days ago for having malicious software on my website (irishboard.ie). I didn't put it there. In fact, I wouldn't know how.

(Btw, I've since taken down the site and put up a temporary page which has been declared clean by Google.)

This happened to me a while back. I can't remember the name of the virus, it's a worm that I believe was delivered through a flaw in Acrobat and/or Flash. What it does is listens for outgoing FTP connections, then it modifies the code.

It inserts a bit of javascript up the top of the pages, it's obfusticated, so it's not easy to tell what it's doing, but the code does look out of place. Go through every file in your site (including pages you may be including) and strip it out. The malware error is not actually with your site, what the script does is fetches a .js file from a remote site that is known for hosting malware, that's what is causing the error.

Advertisement