Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CFL Light Globes

Options
  • 17-09-2009 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Ok so I am a wee bit eco-concerned and looking into replacing my old globes as they blow.

However the price of them is outrageous - nothing under €3.99 in my local Tesco and dont even think about the hardware stores, luckily I was in l
    London recently and picked up 5 for 50p on a special at Sainsburys (Philllips brand, 11w, 10 yrs). I 'amazoned' the same and can get a 5 pack from the UK for £1.99 add in postage £3.79, that works out about £1.16 per globe................so how can we be charged upwards of €3.99 each????

Oh yeah I forgot............I live in good ol Rip off Ireland;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A lot of the cfl bulbs that I've bought have never lasted the distance, as well as being uber-expensive. I think that the guarantee that they give is complete bs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Redbilby wrote: »
    Ok so I am a wee bit eco-concerned and looking into replacing my old globes as they blow.

However the price of them is outrageous - nothing under €3.99 in my local Tesco and dont even think about the hardware stores, luckily I was in l
    London recently and picked up 5 for 50p on a special at Sainsburys (Philllips brand, 11w, 10 yrs). I 'amazoned' the same and can get a 5 pack from the UK for £1.99 add in postage £3.79, that works out about £1.16 per globe................so how can we be charged upwards of €3.99 each????

Oh yeah I forgot............I live in good ol Rip off Ireland;)

They are on offer on a regular basis in stores such as homebase (€1 each) & B&Q 50c each (about 3 weeks ago)

Prices like that are loss leaders as I looked at importing a large amount from China and the price before shipping was about $1 per bulb.

Also, Tesco are a food store and on anything other than food their prices are at the high end of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ejmaztec wrote: »
    A lot of the cfl bulbs that I've bought have never lasted the distance, as well as being uber-expensive. I think that the guarantee that they give is complete bs.

I still have some from my first house 6 years ago. As usual there is fine print. The 10 years is accounted for i think 3 hours usage every 24 hour period.

Also I have found over the years that the original CFL ie the long (wont fit in anything) light bulb lasts the best, those new smaller ones from a certain DIY supplier dont last a year.

On the price issue there are a few offers always doing the rounds.

Advertisement