Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats and tablets

Options
  • 17-09-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

Any tips on how to get a cat to take her tablets.

As most of you know she went in to get her tooth out and she now has to take 2 tablets for the next 7 days but how on earth do I get her to eat it?

I've already tried breaking it up and putting it in with her food but she wont eat the food even though she's starving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

yeah that's an age old problem isn't it?

I usually hold her head firm with one hand around the back of the neck (firmly but obviously not causing discomfort) and have the tablet between the thumb and the next finger of my other hand.

Then you hold her mouth open with the fingers of the hand that is securing her neck and pop the tablet as far back as possible.

Then hold her mouth closed with the same fingers you used to hold her mouth open and stroke her throat with the finger that held the table to encourage a swallowing reflex.

She won't thank you for it but it's the way my vet taught me.

I have mixed success with this technique. I think it depends on her mood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

I use the same technique as n.catenthusiast, but I usually sit on the cat first :D

That is to say, I kneel with knees to either side of the cat, crossing my heels behind me to prevent the cat backing up and escaping.

It's the most successful method I've used anyway; the burrito method (wrapping the cat up) usually resulted in my blood being spilled, and a traumatised cat twice a day :( The kneeling, holding head with one hand and pilling with the other hand can usually be done very fast and painlessly, though it does tend to leave the cat with a "WTF just happened" look if you do it fast enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I use same method as above.
    Cat one- give him few rubs, open mouth pop in pill, rub again... all gone, no probs.:)
    Cat two- struggle to contain in head lock, open mouth(after several tries) pop in pill... pick up pill off floor and repeat at least 3 times... eventually manage to dose cat, go and clean my wounds:(
    All depends on the cat, this is the only method that works with ours. As it's a tooth missing be as gentle as you can.

Moondancer, will try your way, have to worm cats this week. May not be able to type for few days... but will let you know if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I might try the method kneeling, I've done that one before getting eye drops into her. Sometimes I'd sit cross legged too, she's a cat that doesn't struggle much, mainly sits there and takes it (baths aren't too bad aswell:D)

Since the first post shes gone to the bowl afew time and ate a little bit. She must be starving if shes eating it. I just wish she would hurry up so I could give her the rest of the meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah, I try the old cat-under-the-same-arm-that-is-scruffing-it-gently thing - stand cat on benchtop, hold under left arm, scruff gently with left hand. Holding pill between thumb and forefinger of right hand, use palm to tilt cat's head up. Lever mouth open by angling free fingers into corner of mouth. Stick pill as far down throat as possible. Withdraw and hold mouth closed (gently). When the tongue comes out to lick their nose, they've swallowed the pill.

If it's a large pill I'll feed a wet treat immediately afterwards, or syringe in a little water to encourage them to swallow it.

Very important note: the above takes 20 seconds max, or it's all aboard the failboat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeh same technique as above but maybe coat the tablet in some sort of olive oil to make it easier to swallow. Only a very light coating mind you. Or you can get this http://www.petshed.com/products/item3059.asp I havent ever used one but might be good for a really stubborn cat.

She took the second tablet fine after I shoved it down her neck:o. I think I'm getting the hang of it. Now all I have to do is get the other (stray) cat to take a worm dose, it's not going to be easy he's much bigger, sharper nails and isn't missing a leg. Hopefully I won't lose too much blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

you can get a kind of ..pill popper thing...from your vets, it flicks the tab down the throat:D
    also, wrapping the cat in a towel is a good idea lol :p

The score with the stray cat is him 2 - 0 me.

What I think it is, his gums and teeth look very sore so when I try to open him mouth it's too painful for him and turns into a ball of fur and sharp bits.

I'm going to bring him to the vet tomorrow they have a free thing where the nurse does it, hopefully she'll be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

if you crumble it down on a small spoon using the back another small spoon it will make a very fine powder and be easier to mix into maybe the jelly of the canned food or tuna....Failing that its best to wrap the front legs in a towel put her facing away from you between your legs and do as suggested and drop it back her throat,,not the easiest job in the world so best of luck.(plenty germoline on hand for yourself afterwords):o

• Advertisement

joyce2009 wrote: »
    if you crumble it down on a small spoon using the back another small spoon it will make a very fine powder and be easier to mix into maybe the jelly of the canned food or tuna....Failing that its best to wrap the front legs in a towel put her facing away from you between your legs and do as suggested and drop it back her throat,,not the easiest job in the world so best of luck.(plenty germoline on hand for yourself afterwords):o

Tried both, neither would do him.
    He starved himself rather than eat the bit of food and if I touch his gums he go's mental.

My cat is easy to do but the cat I found I have a worm tablet for him no way will he take it. I'm going to bring him to the vet and all they charge me for is the tablet which I still have. They might be better able for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 markc1975

The best way I have found is similar to Joyce2009.

After many attempts, everything from disguising it in various foods to headlocks and trying to get it into the mouth/throat only to be spat out or ignored, I discovered this, and, it works every time! Crush the tablet to a powder with the back of a spoon on a plate, take a tiny little bit of butter and mash it into the powdered tablet to form a soft buttery paste, scoop it up into the tip of the spoon, lift kitty up and hold under the front legs and plonk them on your lap so the front paws are sticking out. Smear the the tablet/butter mixture gently onto the back of a paw making sure there are no lumps loose or they will just shake it off. Cats being as clean as they are will jump down and proceed to lick of every last bit of butter, and the medication with it. I know cats and dairy is bad, but, you only need a tiny bit and it's better than not having their medication.

Only problem with Lily is as soon as she sees a spoon in my hand she's off hiding under the bed!

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

markc1975 wrote: »
    The best way I have found is similar to Joyce2009.

After many attempts, everything from disguising it in various foods to headlocks and trying to get it into the mouth/throat only to be spat out or ignored, I discovered this, and, it works every time! Crush the tablet to a powder with the back of a spoon on a plate, take a tiny little bit of butter and mash it into the powdered tablet to form a soft buttery paste, scoop it up into the tip of the spoon, lift kitty up and hold under the front legs and plonk them on your lap so the front paws are sticking out. Smear the the tablet/butter mixture gently onto the back of a paw making sure there are no lumps loose or they will just shake it off. Cats being as clean as they are will jump down and proceed to lick of every last bit of butter, and the medication with it. I know cats and dairy is bad, but, you only need a tiny bit and it's better than not having their medication.

Only problem with Lily is as soon as she sees a spoon in my hand she's off hiding under the bed!

M

I always use the butter but I don't break up the tablet. It's the only thing I've found that works and for the dogs also. Same as you, the clever buggers soon get to recognise that butter = medicine= struggle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I usually get a bit of sausage meat, break up the tablet into smaller pieces and put in the middle of the sausage. I can't say it works 100% of the time, but worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

try frying some liver and giving it to her mixed with a little mashed potato covered with the pan juices with the tablet crushed into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

Ask your vet if they have something called Calo-Pet Paste... its a high calorie 'paste' (its consistency is more like honey) and is usually used for sick cats or dogs that need a boost. I found, however, that my ferrets go absolutely batty for the stuff. I keep a tube of it specifically for getting them to take meds... I do the whole crush it into a powder and mix it up with the paste... one of my ferrets wouldn't be tricked into taking tablets in anythinge before this, no matter what you mixed it in but the calo-pet paste is a differant story all together. Now maybe cats wont be as crazy bout it as my guys but no harm in giving it a try. (Obviously check that there's no reason why your little guy can't have the paste first... I can't imagine it'd be good for an animal with weight issues for example or for any animal long term but we were told to work away if it helped them take meds.)

Advertisement