Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which phone? (iPhoneitis)

• 17-09-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I am currently using the 5800XM and find it to be very good in many respects but there are a few caveats. I find the os to be somewhat user unfriendly and it has some bugs still. The screen is a little small for my liking and the phone is a little slow to react to requests.

I have seen and used the iPhone briefly and I like the bigger screen, look and feel but mainly the immediacy and useability of the UI. I don't like the options and cost of buying one though. I also don't really like Apple evangelism and I really hate iTunes and limitations it imposes.

I would like to use the phone to watch divx natively if possible and also listen to ogg, flac and other formats easily. I would also like to be able to stream from my server over wifi when at home. Good web browsing also a big plus.

So, the million dollar question is which phone will give me the good parts and be less expensive but also less limiting than the iPhone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Perhaps it would be worth your while waiting to see what the nokia N900 will be like? It's bigger than the 5800, and seems to be a multimedia powerhouse, and that's only from previews of the device. And i've heard rumours of an Archos phone being release some time later this year which could be cool, although i havent heard much about the specs on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

sony satio might be worth a look when it comes out in oct/nov , should be compatiable with most music formats knowing sony..not sure about the streaming side of things..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks for the replies guys. I would be more interested in phones that are out there now. I don't like waiting for new arrivals as they are at their most expensive and usually not the best until bugs worked out. I used to be an early adopter and it isn't (or wasn't) usually a great experience.

What about any of the following?
    i8910
    Hero
    Touch HD
    Xperia X1

Any other phones that stand out in the UI area and with plenty of multimedia features?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Anyone any opinions on a current phone that fits the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

iwb wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. I would be more interested in phones that are out there now. I don't like waiting for new arrivals as they are at their most expensive and usually not the best until bugs worked out. I used to be an early adopter and it isn't (or wasn't) usually a great experience.

What about any of the following?
    i8910
    Hero
    Touch HD
    Xperia X1

Any other phones that stand out in the UI area and with plenty of multimedia features?

from all this i will go for 18910, it can play divx formats and 8mp camera, but as mentioned above if i was you i will wait for n900 and in the mean time you can spend few euro on buying smartmovie player to play divx and avi files. for the same amount of money you can buy latest phone even you are beta tester.
    just my opinion .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Anything android.

Advertisement