Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lisbon Treaty's Social Side

Options
  • 17-09-2009 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi folks,

We'd be very grateful if you'd take a look at our 3 minute motion graphic piece on the social aspects of the Lisbon Treaty. Hope it's appropriate to post here. Happy to ammend if not. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM_BNdlJihw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hi folks,

We'd be very grateful if you'd take a look at our 3 minute motion graphic piece on the social aspects of the Lisbon Treaty. Hope it's appropriate to post here. Happy to ammend if not. Thanks!

You should discuss a video you post, so we can discuss your opinions of it.

It's against the forum charter to post a video without comment, for various reasons, including the fact that some members of the forum won't be able to view youtube videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 EAPN Ireland

You should discuss a video you post, so we can discuss your opinions of it.

It's against the forum charter to post a video without comment, for various reasons, including the fact that some members of the forum won't be able to view youtube videos.

OK thanks for the heads up. Essentially, the video explores the social aspects of the Lisbon Treaty, and whether ratification might have a positive or negative effect on the European social project (which is a controversial concept in itself). We come at it from a fairly specific point of view, will the Treaty make any impact on the eradication of poverty, will the charter of fundamental rights help to promote a fairer and more inclusive society etc. We're sort of hampered (in terms of publicity at least) in that we don't take a yes or no point of view. We confine ourselves with information dissemination which obviously isn't particularly media friendly. I have no problem removing it if this is inappropriate or in contravention of the rules in any way.

Summary of video:

Mentions arguments for & against Lisbon in terms of poverty reduction & social justice.

They all take the following form:

'Some say the Lisbon treaty will do X to alleviate poverty, while others argue that it either already does X or X will have no effect, or the opposite effect'.

Then at the end the video asks you to make up your own mind.

Personally I consider it a waste of time as it doesn't say what Lisbon will actually do, but instead lists what other people claim about it, without coming down on either side.

OK thanks for the heads up. Essentially, the video explores the social aspects of the Lisbon Treaty, and whether ratification might have a positive or negative effect on the European social project (which is a controversial concept in itself). We come at it from a fairly specific point of view, will the Treaty make any impact on the eradication of poverty, will the charter of fundamental rights help to promote a fairer and more inclusive society etc. We're sort of hampered (in terms of publicity at least) in that we don't take a yes or no point of view. We confine ourselves with information dissemination which obviously isn't particularly media friendly. I have no problem removing it if this is inappropriate or in contravention of the rules in any way.

Can't you just list the facts though?

Presenting 2 sets of conflicting claims, which may or may not have unequal basis in reality is not useful.

Edit: Nice graphics though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 EAPN Ireland

Summary of video:

Mentions arguments for & against Lisbon in terms of poverty reduction & social justice.

They all take the following form:

'Some say the Lisbon treaty will do X to alleviate poverty, while others argue that it either already does X or X will have no effect, or the opposite effect'.

Then at the end the video asks you to make up your own mind.

Personally I consider it a waste of time as it doesn't say what Lisbon will actually do, but instead lists what other people claim about it, without coming down on either side.

Fair enough thanks for the response. It's meant more as an overview of the issues rather than a partisan piece. We have very detailed briefing documents on our website that properly explore the impact of the treaty on the social agenda. This is really meant as an introduction to those points. Appreciate the feedback anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

Hi folks,

A video very much in the Hippocratic tradition of "first, do no harm", but like Pope I think it would have been better to come down on one side in the end, nonetheless it does raise awareness of some social issues that need to be considered when deciding ones vote. Strange thing is you have quite a detailed document on the Social Aspects of the Lisbon Treaty on your website, albeit a bit out of date.
    Btw, I commend what you're doing with the European Anti-Poverty Network (EAPN) and wish you lots of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Very nice graphics/well produced.

I do agree that it should have lead somewhere though, and certainly agree with the sentiment that presenting two claims as equal, though one may have far less footing in reality, does nothing positive in either direction. I would have preferred if it just outlined the positive benefits/problems the organisation saw in the Treaty, along with the trendy graphics of course.

Advertisement