Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conservatory - diy insulation + wood pellet burner

Options
  • 17-09-2009 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi,

We have a bog standard conservatory which is freezing in the winter - it just has a pvc roof.

My husband was going to insulate it himself with Kingspan insulation and plasterboard. I would love to get a wood pellet burner of some kind for the conservatory as well.

Do you guys/gals think this is feasible? I'm completely clueless (husband is handy, but clueless on this) - We would cut a hole in conservatory roof for the chimney and seal it somehow with heat resistant sealer...

Would we be creating a lovely warm winter love nest or complete disaster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

In the interests of transparency I am in the wood pellet stove business.

I would not recommend taking a flue through the middle or bottom of a plastic roof as they are very difficult to seal.

We take the flue out through the wall when fitting pellet stoves in conservatories, do not allow anyone to tell you a pellet stove works without a proper flue similar to balanced flues for gas or some oil appliances.

The grant is still available for pellet stoves which should cover the cost of installation.

That said you are on the right track as pellet stoves have made a lot of conservatories and sun rooms usable family rooms all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

thanks rooferPete,

I see that you're company is not too far away from where we live. How much would we be looking at for a basic stove/burner? Just a ballpark figure. (you can pm me if it's possible). We are trying to keep costs as low as possible - hence the diy insulation job.

And, forgive my stupidity, I'm trying to picure this - does the flue go straight up and then at a right angle towards the wall and then outside. Or does ithe stove have to be near the wall. Iykwim?

Advertisement