Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist wants to pull tooth... aargh!

Options
  • 17-09-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

hi, our eldest is 7 & has an abscess on the his gum. Dentist is recommending to pull the tooth causing this, which is the correct thing to do as the tooth will continue to cause infection.

he's been to dentist before for checks, we wanted him to get used to dentist for the inevitable tooth pulling.. & now we are here :( ..a few years before we'd like.

Any advice on how to make it as painless as possible & what to do after as he's going to be down in the dumps...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Alib2009

Have you discussed (without said son) the possibility of using Gas - i know when my brother was only 5 he had too many teeth and extraction was necessary - he was brought to dental hospital, given gas, there was a wonderful nurse who jollied him along - there was great fun of his little button nose because the gas applicator was too big but they had it done swifly and we were on our way very shortly afterwards.

The best of luck,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Yes gas all the way. Also perhaps you could bring in a dvd player and prop it up to let him watch something soothing.

My dentist in the US has a tv in the room for patients to zone out on gas an tv while he does his work.

Bring a toy for afterwards.

Advertisement