Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky digital in Smithfield market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JohnnyC81

networkguy wrote: »
    I didnt know Eircom was in Smithfield Market - Just called them and they were clueless.

Anyone got Eircom? Would love to get rid of Smart and get Eircom and Sky in

When I rang Eircom she told me that people in my block (C) had already converted. It's a completely new install and new number. The smart number cannot be ported. Give them a shout on 1901.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

I didnt know Eircom was in Smithfield Market - Just called them and they were clueless.

Anyone got Eircom? Would love to get rid of Smart and get Eircom and Sky in

I have it in block A for the last few months - wanted it for broadband as i work for an isp and we dont have an interlink with smart (well we do , but its a bit messy).

Works great , but there can be a little bit of confusion when they try to connect it - theres an exchange downstairs that the guy doing mine didnt know about so he had to see where to go initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

I rang Sky this morning to enquire about the deals they offer and the like. According to them the dish is up and running and they can take orders immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JohnnyC81

When you subscribe to multiroom the Eircom line needs to be connected to ALL boxes so the boxes can dial Sky to prove they are in the same house and somebody hasn't put their second card into a different address and therefore saving a small fortune.

I am curious though, if the apartments are pre-wired, they are surely not pre-wired for Sky+ i.e. I'm sure there are not two cables into each room.

I've heard before of Sky installing Sky+ but customers only having 1 cable to the Sky+ box, if a customer wants to record their TV they have to watch the same channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sleepwalker73

Getting my Sky HD card today. Hope to have the box installed today-tomorrow.

Now here's the main question: how to get rid of SmartTelecom in full?

I assume Eircom is on site. What are the steps to change for their services? Does it involve cabling?

Is there an option to leave the phone and internet only with Smart? How much a month?

• Advertisement

Getting my Sky HD card today. Hope to have the box installed today-tomorrow.

Now here's the main question: how to get rid of SmartTelecom in full?

I assume Eircom is on site. What are the steps to change for their services? Does it involve cabling?

Is there an option to leave the phone and internet only with Smart? How much a month?

Eircom are on site and all you need to do is to swap ur phone to them by calling and asking if you want. 1901 i think is the number for them.
    That should get rid of smart totally.

There is an option to keep smart , but its more expensive to install the sky that way. I think its 67 installation with smart and 30 if u have Eircom.

There is someone outside the pizza place on tuesday 6th if u want to ask any questions to them - we should find out more then.

Unfortunately, I've already paid 67 euro. But that's not the case. I'll pay anything to get rid of this awfull SmartVision.

Yesterday Sky1, SkySports1, TV3 were just black. No signal whatsoever. Sick and tired of them. Wasn't angry only because I knew that I'm getting my Sky card this morning in the post...

The option of getting rid of their phone service is even more appealing: had no phone service in March and April for six weeks - some eejit on their end decided to pull the plug and their "expert" tech support took their sweet time (6 weeks) to establish that...

No, getting basic Eircom, and then some broadband then...

Thanks for the answer!

If you want to switch off the TV and keep the broadband and phone with Smart you can ring the sales line and they can sort you out over the phone. The TV service should be disabled within 4 hours.

Thanks Ryback (I remember you from Smarttelecom forum)

Here's an important question: do I have to send them back their lousy STB?

Yeah, you have to post back the STB and remote. At least they're not trying to railroad people into keeping the TV if they want to also have broadband, a tactic I thought they would try once they realised Sky had become an option.

• Advertisement

If you are getting Eircom in, mention to the tech that theres an exchange on level -1 or -2 in the building - the guy doing mine wasnt aware and was in and out of the one in o connell street trying to figure it out.

Have to go down and sort out the sky next tomorrow myself :D hope i can get the sky plus system working ok - id like multiroom but i dont have the phones wired in anywhere - i use a SIP phone in the house through broadband (free calls are great)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 networkguy

Went to the sales thing last night

They Couldn't have had a more arrogant sales manager there - Cigarette hanging out his mouth, and all he wanted was you to sign up, and for him to get his commission. The others there were scared of him and his cutting one word answers.

Anyway, he said they were going to run the cables down the outside of the building from the Sattelite dish - surely that cant be true - 2 cables from the dish for each apartment going in all directions, then down the outside walls and into the apartment.

Firstly, how will they get it in to the top floors, and anyone living toward the top will have up to 14 cables running down the side of their balcony - I cant believe Wyse would allow that - has anyone any more info on this?

Went to the sales thing last night

They Couldn't have had a more arrogant sales manager there - Cigarette hanging out his mouth, and all he wanted was you to sign up, and for him to get his commission. The others there were scared of him and his cutting one word answers.

Anyway, he said they were going to run the cables down the outside of the building from the Sattelite dish - surely that cant be true - 2 cables from the dish for each apartment going in all directions, then down the outside walls and into the apartment.

Firstly, how will they get it in to the top floors, and anyone living toward the top will have up to 14 cables running down the side of their balcony - I cant believe Wyse would allow that - has anyone any more info on this?

I have to agree, i think the whole setup was entirely unprofessional and no one seemed to know much about how everything worked at all.
    Any questions asked meant someone running about to ask someone else for the answer.

They should really have had a sit down before coming to the market and discussed how it all worked and what was what. The nicest person there was the one giving out the cakes and drinks - the rest just looked like all they wanted was ur name and address.

On the plus side , I did find out that multiroom is fine if you have an eircom line - its because they want to make sure that the second box stays in the same house and they cant check that on smart.

I also was told that they have to drill into the building which means a cable from outside as well - i hope its all done neatly but im renting so i dont really mind either way in the end to be honest.

I was told that they were using fibre and splitting it once it got into the house which is a load of crap , but i left her off with that one, but she did say that the sky plus works properly where you can record one channel and still watch another which is what i wanted.

I thought it was a very shabby demo trailer and no organisation at all with very little valid info available and with the amount of writing going on , a few tables wouldnt have gone astray . People were trying to look professional but just didnt have the info to back it all up.

All that being said - i still signed up as its better than smart and i need real TV and i can work out the issues after.

Got my Eircom line installed today :D

Have to say, the whole process from Eircom was excellent - they even texted to confirm the appointment, the engineer turned up 30 minutes early and had everything working within about 1.5 hours with the Eline presented in the cable box in the hallway - no cables showing which is great.

Just need the broadband enabled now - lets hope that goes as well as the line installation.

I had not used Eircom in a long time, nice to see they are finally realising there is competition out there and they've got their processes much improved.

Got my Eircom line installed today :D

Have to say, the whole process from Eircom was excellent - they even texted to confirm the appointment, the engineer turned up 30 minutes early and had everything working within about 1.5 hours with the Eline presented in the cable box in the hallway - no cables showing which is great.

Just need the broadband enabled now - lets hope that goes as well as the line installation.

I had not used Eircom in a long time, nice to see they are finally realising there is competition out there and they've got their processes much improved.

Your in for a treat with the broadband side - dont forget that though they have the same name , the broadband team and the PSTN team are totally different and dont speak to each other at all - this is where the fun begins.

I got my broadband very quick , but placed the order myself :D

best of luck with it.

Was on to the Sky engineer about the installation this morning. He told me to get Sky+ working properly (watch one channel, record another) he would have to drill through the wall to the other telephone port in the bedroom. I'm renting so that's out the window.
    Luckily no other holes are required for installation so I can still carry on with the installation

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Anyone managed to avoid the 37.50 extra for the install because "you don't have an eircom phone line".

Had a major rant on this today..

Anyone installed yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

MadsL wrote: »
    Anyone managed to avoid the 37.50 extra for the install because "you don't have an eircom phone line".

Had a major rant on this today..

Anyone installed yet??

My installation is scheduled for early next week.

Hello

Got my sky installed today

No cables running or holes drilled. The installer managed to run 2 signals on the 1 cable for sky HD. Also got multi room, and the engineer did the linking at the commas cabinet, not in the apartment.

They used the existing cables that already run in the walls. The installation is perfect - the stupid sales guy that said they were running cables down the outside of the building and drilling holes everywhere should be fired

I also got an eircom line installed because I wanted completely rid of smart. Broadband only runs at 6mb (despite having 12mb line) but still far better than smart.

Have to say, even although it is very expensive, it is excellent to have a night of non flickering television and faster broadband

If your thinking about changing I recommend it!

Had mine installed earlier this week, the guy doing the install was laughing away when I asked if they'd be running cables down the sides of the building.

I have a Smart line but only had to pay 30 euro for the install. No holes had to be drilled although I can only record what I'm watching as he would have had to do some drilling to sort that out.

With Sky Sports and HD it's still working out cheaper than the equivalent with Smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Had mine installed too, no drilling. The installer originally said he might need to run a cable from the bedroom in order to allow me watch one programme while recording another but in the end he didn't need to.

I have Smart broadband which I'm keeping (have had major issues with Eircom before) but no landline, and I wasn't charged any extra because of it.

I think the only time you need to pay more is if you get the multiroom - other than that its the same as normal for the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mickeyfitzray

Anyone know anything about alternate broadband? I just moved into Block E about a month ago and I really don't want to go with Smart or Eircom. Lot of talk earlier in the thread about UPC possibly coming in. Anyone hear anymore on that?

If I do have to go with Smart or Eircom can somebody tell me which is the best broadband service? I won't be getting TV in so not worried about Smart Vision.

Anyone know anything about alternate broadband? I just moved into Block E about a month ago and I really don't want to go with Smart or Eircom. Lot of talk earlier in the thread about UPC possibly coming in. Anyone hear anymore on that?

If I do have to go with Smart or Eircom can somebody tell me which is the best broadband service? I won't be getting TV in so not worried about Smart Vision.

As far as im aware there was a deal for an alternative provider and sky won the contract so i dont think UPC will be getting into smithfield im afraid.
    Your only options are really Smart or Eircom for the phone service though once you have that you could go with UTV, BT or any other service provider for broadband but eircom still provide the backend copper

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eoinca

Hi,

I just got an apartment in the Tower block in smithfield, wondering what the story is with getting Sky in, is there much of a wait time to get it installed???

Moving in Thursday but obviously want the TV in for christmas.

Also, are smart still in there? Can I contact them directly or do I need to go to eircom first and then switch over?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Is Magnet available in Smithfield? I thought they were one of the areas serviced by Fibre.
    If they are you should definitely check them out. They have a representative on boards too. Magnet: Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eoinca

OisinT wrote: »
    Is Magnet available in Smithfield? I thought they were one of the areas serviced by Fibre.
    If they are you should definitely check them out. They have a representative on boards too. Magnet: Rory

Thanks Oisin will look into it.

Nope, Magnet arent available in smithfield.

You contact Eircom directly and ask them to change it over. It takes a few days to get that done.
    The sky change is also very fast usually , just a matter of ordering it and getting someone out to site to do it once you have ur card.

If ur stuck send me a PM though im away for a week , but ill check in from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Has anyone had any experiences with fault servicing yet? I just had my first and it wasn't a happy one! No satellite signal, phoned Sky customer service, spent 10 minutes following their instructions of buttons to press on the remote, no luck, then they told me I'd have to phone some other company to come out and fix it, this other company said no, Sky has to fix it. :mad: Phoned back Sky ready to read them the riot act but they agreed straightaway to send out an engineer (late next week....) . If this is going to be the kind of customer service we get from them I may yet start a campaign for Magnet!

• Advertisement

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experiences with fault servicing yet? I just had my first and it wasn't a happy one! No satellite signal, phoned Sky customer service, spent 10 minutes following their instructions of buttons to press on the remote, no luck, then they told me I'd have to phone some other company to come out and fix it, this other company said no, Sky has to fix it. :mad: Phoned back Sky ready to read them the riot act but they agreed straightaway to send out an engineer (late next week....) . If this is going to be the kind of customer service we get from them I may yet start a campaign for Magnet!

I heard its loads of people in Block E that are having the issue. Im in block A and everything is fine. Sky gave the contract to install the dish and other kit into the building to a company here so they want to pass the blame on it , but i think after a few calls they realised it was something a bit bigger and got onto the company themselves - to the best of my knowledge anyway.
    Hopefully u get it sorted out soon .... let us know what happens , im sure everyone will be curious.

Advertisement