Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back boiler heating system

• 17-09-2009 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

I hope someone can help.

I need to change my heating system

I am one of the many who have received huge gas bills over the past 12 months. Also during the past 12 months, my gas boiler pump died. I could get the pump replaced but the boiler is old and innefficient and a probable cause for the large bills. So I pulled the lever and shut off the gas.

I am unemployed and in debt so I can't afford a new gas boiler so I have to look at alternatives. I know that before the gas boiler went in, the previous owner burned solid fuel in the fireplace (which has a wraparound back boiler) and used this to heat the house. I am told he used slack which made the whole operation very efficient and the house was hotter by far using this method than it ever was with the gas heating.

I would switch to this method but the pump attached to the boiler was removed for some reason. The pipework is still there.

I am hoping that I could get an active heating system up and running at a low cost. Can anybody recommend someone who would quote me to fit such a pump?

I am a web designer and if someone wanted a nice website for their business as a barter for doing this I would be happy to talk to them.

I appreciate your help.

Many thanks

John

Sorry Moderator if this post is in the wrong thread. Can you move it if required please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You really need a plumber with solid fuel back boiler experience to assess your requirements. The pump has been removed as you say so while the pipework is there it is possible that the system is not a closed loop.

Slack helps 'keep the fire in'. It burns slow and hot and sends the flames under and around the back boiler which heats the water as very little heats escapes from the fireplace to the room.

Solid fuel heating may not necessarily be cheaper than gas. Solid fuel take a good while to get the water in the heating system up to a useable temperature - first you need to get the fire going then you need to work on heating the boiler. Also factor in the disadvantages of not being able to set a time switch or have proper thermostatic controls. You might be better off with an efficient condensor gas boiler. Gas will be considerably cheaper from October 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I promise you this.... By the time you have converted your system back to a back boiler from a gas boiler you would have bought and installed a new boiler.

For the record i had both. I guarantee you gas is not popular because its expensive and dangerous. Its popular because its economical, clean and a lot wasier than a back boiler. You still have a pump in the back boiler system and "Slack" is not easy to get, a very dirty product and you will have to clean your chimney at least twice a year

Advertisement