Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potentially Stupid Question

Options
  • 17-09-2009 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Folks

this may be a stupid thing to be asking, but wouldn't be the first time I was ever stupid so here we go.

a) I have a system that i've just fitted a ATI 4890 1GB and my motherboard supports the fitting of another PCIe card.

b) I have two monitors connected to the 4890, a 28" running at 1900 x 1200, and a 22" one running on 1680 x 1050

c) I have a couple of spare PCIe cards, an nVidia 9600GT, and an ATI X700

My question is this,

Can I fit one of my spare cards specifically to run the 22", and continue to run the 28" off just the 4890 ?

I'd rather use the nVidia card as it's newer but not sure about how the two sets of drivers would co-exist.

If I'm stupid even asking, hit me now !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

WillieDH wrote: »
    Folks

this may be a stupid thing to be asking, but wouldn't be the first time I was ever stupid so here we go.

a) I have a system that i've just fitted a ATI 4890 1GB and my motherboard supports the fitting of another PCIe card.

b) I have two monitors connected to the 4890, a 28" running at 1900 x 1200, and a 22" one running on 1680 x 1050

c) I have a couple of spare PCIe cards, an nVidia 9600GT, and an ATI X700

My question is this,

Can I fit one of my spare cards specifically to run the 22", and continue to run the 28" off just the 4890 ?

I'd rather use the nVidia card as it's newer but not sure about how the two sets of drivers would co-exist.

If I'm stupid even asking, hit me now !

os = Vista: only can fit cards that use the same driver e.g. ATI + ATI gfx cards or Nvidia + Nvidia.

os = XP: you can mix and match gfx cards that use different drivers e.g. Nvida + ATI gfx cards.

Why do you wish to have a dedicated card to each montior and not just run both off your main gfx card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Thanks for the reply

OS is Vista Ultimate.

My reason for wanting to do this is someone told me I'd get better graphic performance in games if my other screen was being looked after by the extra card.

If that is bull**** then i'll leave it as it is.

Advertisement