Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

voting cards

Options
  • 17-09-2009 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

anyone else get their yet? they are voting booklets. How are they allowed to send out one side info like this its obviously more pro lisbon than anti. for the first time since i started voting i think im not going to vote at all this time around, i know some will say its a wasted/spoiled vote or a missed oppertunity, but i honestly dont understand this nor do i believe what the politicians are saying. We wont know what this lisbon treaty means for at least another 10 years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

suimhneas wrote: »
    anyone else get their yet? they are voting booklets. How are they allowed to send out one side info like this its obviously more pro lisbon than anti.

Care to provide an example of this?

We wont know what this lisbon treaty means for at least another 10 years

We do know what it means. Do you share the same concern with Irish laws, given that they are open to interpretation etc, do you favour not passing any laws at all because we don't know how they may be interpreted in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

How are they allowed to send out one side info like this its obviously more pro lisbon than anti.

It pretty much just states the text of the amendment that will be inserted into the constitution.

Does that really count as pro Lisbon these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

"Reality has a well known liberal bias"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

@op

does your voting card look anything like this :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Stimmzettel-Anschluss.jpg

rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im just reading through that booklet that came with the voting card, trying to come to an informed opinion on whether to vote yes or no.
    Now Im not great at reading this type of stuff but point 6 on page 5 of that booklet makes for worrying reading for me.

In my words - No provision of our new updated Irish constitution (following a yes vote)invalidates any law brought in by the state out of necessity of membership of the EU or membership of the EU atomic energy community etc be it before, on or after Lisbon comes into force.
    Thats my reading of that paragraph and from that I get the feeling that we will be powerless to control anything EU related in the future. I think its more important at this stage to look at what we are agreeing to change in our own constitution insted of trying to work out what Lisbon actually means. I feel we are giving them all the power now and therefore they will easily implement any future changes/updates without any further need for a referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

mickdw wrote: »
    Im just reading through that booklet that came with the voting card, trying to come to an informed opinion on whether to vote yes or no.
    Now Im not great at reading this type of stuff but point 6 on page 5 of that booklet makes for worrying reading for me.

In my words - No provision of our new updated Irish constitution (following a yes vote)invalidates any law brought in by the state out of necessity of membership of the EU or membership of the EU atomic energy community etc be it before, on or after Lisbon comes into force.
    Thats my reading of that paragraph and from that I get the feeling that we will be powerless to control anything EU related in the future. I think its more important at this stage to look at what we are agreeing to change in our own constitution insted of trying to work out what Lisbon actually means. I feel we are giving them all the power now and therefore they will easily implement any future changes/updates without any further need for a referendum.

Does it look like this?
    10° No provision of this Constitution invalidates laws enacted, acts done or measures adopted by the State which are necessitated by the obligations of membership of the European Union or of the Communities, or prevents laws enacted, acts done or measures adopted by the European Union or by the Communities or by institutions thereof, or by bodies competent under the Treaties establishing the Communities, from having the force of law in the State.

Because that bit above is already in the Constitution, and has been since 1973. It hasn't stopped us from having referendums.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Does it look like this?

Because that bit above is already in the Constitution, and has been since 1973. It hasn't stopped us from having referendums.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Thats interesting and good to know its in there already. I shall continue to read the proposed ammendments so while comparing them to the current constitution.

Thanks

Advertisement