Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Burgers falling apart..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

When I make meatballs (same thing really just smaller) I mix mince and one egg together and throw in a little herb, salt and pepper and sometimes a bit of Maggie seasoning and that's it. I don't use breadcrumbs but you can throw them in too if you like. Only diff. is I don't fry them I pop them in the oven, the transfer them to a dish and add a tomatoe based sauce with rosemary and red onions.

When I make burgers I do the same, beef mince is so cheap I don't add any breadcrumbs as said but I avoid the angus or very lean mince because there's no flavour in them because there's not enough fat to give the nice burgery flavour. A lot of the fat drains off in the oven (I put them on a wire rack with a tray underneath). I find the burgers turn out fine in the oven not dry or anything and as they aren't moved about they don't break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Jawgap wrote: »
    Somebody mentioned cumin earlier - I'd suggest lamb burgers with cumin (or ground coriander). I do them for the kids (and myself) with a minty yoghurty dressing in a crusty bread bap and they're gorgeous with beer!!!

.......and now I know what I'll be doing for dinner tomorrow:)

Round pitta breads also make a fantastic "bun" for cumin-y burgers. Gimme them with a big dollop of yoghurt over a bun & ketchup any day!

Tbh, I find home-made burgers are much better done on a frying or griddle pan than in the oven or under the grill - because the heat source is underneath the burger it allows the bottom to seal and you can flip the burger much easier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

essdee wrote: »
    On a related note...can anyone suggest where in Dublin I can get the wax discs for making burgers with a burger press? I want to make a good few burgers and store them in the freezer for easy access. Thanks.

Kitchen Complements in Chatham Street sell them LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you like Burgers then it may be worth buying a burger press, they make a great job of pressing them.
    I have a cheap plastic one that works fine for when I make burgers but you can get better ones made of aluminium if you want to pay more.
    If you use roughly the same amount of mix they make it very uniform all burgers cook equally assuming the heat is even.
    This makes it easy to cook more than 2 at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

use breadcrumbs to form and cook on a very low heat

• Advertisement

• I find that as long as I use breadcrumbs it's grand. Any time I'm lazy and don't use them, the burgers break up, no matter how much egg I use or how long I refrigerate them first. I don't use the packet ones, I just break up a piece of bread myself so there's fairly big and springy and it always turns out well.

For wedges, I just slice a potato into wedges and put the slices in a bowl along with some olive oil and spicy Cajun seasoning. Then I put them in the oven for about 10 mins on each side....mmmm nice and crispy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I dont use egg or breadcrumb . never had any probs.
    Just dont use very lean mince , i add ketchup, mustard, wocester sauce, grated cheese, steakhouse pepper mix, mix well and i personally make big burgers and make them into a nice firm burger shape , and if possible only flip them over once in the entire process .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 arthie no no

just use bundys burger buns blasta

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I made some nice thick burgers the other night and just cooked them in the oven - no mess/smell from frying them and they still come out moist and TASTY! :D

Advertisement