Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie: What am I doing?

Options
  • 17-09-2009 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hi there!

I'm new to wow I have hunter at 23 now, and have just being going around doing the odd quest here and there, doing some selling at the market, and exploring.

But what else is there to do. I liked the idea at the start of my Draenai character the way there was a quest that was like a story that went on and on, and you ended up having to kill a boss up this hill. It was also possible to share this quest which made it more interesting.

What I'm wondering is how does Wow work in that sense, like can you complete the game for a certain race? Or is it just random quest after random quest, like collect this here, kill x amount of animals? and just go on and on like this. Seems pretty boring really.

Like is there bigger longer quests that have a story to them that you can share with your friend? So that it feels like you are working your way through a game or level with in WoW?

Also what is the story with the two factions, do they get to fight against each other in a larger game? For instance how does the burning crusade work? Is that like a big quest that you can complete??

Many thanks for your help.
    Coz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah thats pretty much it for the leveling process, you start quest chains some longer than others. some require a group to finish elite mobs etc

The leveling process is the learning curve of the game, if your playing on a pvp server you will bump into characters of the opposing faction who can and most likely will attack you.

So you can have some fun with pvp as you level, or heartache, depends on how quick you are on the uptake ;)

You may also want to tryout instances, a few scattered around in different zones. Basically you and 4 others go into this instance place and fight your way through tougher enemies than usual and you beat up bosses and they drop good items.

When you reach max level the idea is to do instances/raids to gear up and tackle harder raids instances, these require alot of team work and concentration. alot of fun to be had.

Or you can do pvp and join battlegrounds, alliance vs horde, both have obective to complete depending on which one your in.

Warsong gulch is pretty much capture the flag,

Arathi basin the objective is to capture and hold certain bases for an amount of time

Eye of the storm is pretty much a mix of the above two

Or you can do both, my advice is keep playing until you get max level, and if your not liking the game after awhile at level 80 then yeah by all means drop the game if you dont like it.

When i started playing wow i was discouraged like you, took me ages to bother leveling, but when i started doing instances at level 45 i began getting hooked.

There is alot to the game, its hard to see everything at first sight so it can come across as boring.

Try get yourself into a leveling guild of some sort and do some instances/ group questing, this will get you in on the social aspect of the game and boost your interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

-ADREN- wrote: »

Like is there bigger longer quests that have a story to them that you can share with your friend? So that it feels like you are working your way through a game or level with in WoW?

well ther are certain quests that will immerse you in the lore and story but they lead onto instances(dungeons) also definilty worth reading the lore book on the official website. after 60 you get really more involved and the quests get more interesting than the regular go here/kill this/gather that ones.

but it is boring levellin so try some pvp... or so instances... join a guild and ppl will help u along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Cool thanks lads..

Hmm with your replies I'm thinking to myself maybe I should quite while im not addicted..

Hmmmm indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

L4D was the same repetitive thing over and over. Still fun for stupid lengths of time.

-ADREN- wrote: »
    Cool thanks lads..

Hmm with your replies I'm thinking to myself maybe I should quite while im not addicted..

Hmmmm indeed.

WoW sucks your will to live. Not joking. In the end I had 2 level 80's and a load of level 30-60's.

If you're happy sitting inside for looooong stretches of the day/night to kill the same bosses over and over again then wow is for you. It's full of absolute arseholes too, although I have to admit that there's one less since I quit.

My advice, get addicted to something good. Like drugs.

• Advertisement

lol.

I could see that, except I know my gaming habits: I am a huge Binge Gamer. By January or so I'll be sooo fed up of it, and then after that its something I might pick back up again in the summer or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Adren, I found that I was getting lost a lot in Wow with my first character, till I wandered into the next zone and found a new chain of quests. After the first few zones, the games opens up a bit and it can be hard to know where to go next. I spent some time just wandering from one zone to the next with no quests available, until eventually I deleted that toon (big mistake!)

With my second char I did things a little different, read a few levelling guides, and picked zones that suited my level, so I was able to stay on the right learning curve. An AddOn like Questhelper will help keep track of your quests. At level 23, you might like the Duskwood area south of Stormwind, there are some cool "Gothicky" type quest chains that I really enjoyed, it was the first time I got immersed in the game if that makes sense? it's for levels 20-30, and once you've got to level 30 you can start on the Stranglethorn Vale area, which is used by both factions, so there's a lot of scope for PvP.

Its hard to be without something to do, and even if you ever are, just get a group together and do a dungeon. you'll get a level up out of it (and a ton of cool gear) and normally thats all you need to start finding the quests you need to be on.

The only thing wrong with dungeons (beside being a fun overload) is that it can take forever to get a group together for places most places dont give a **** about. like gnomeregan, even though gnomeregan is bitchin. Dungeons will hopefully get their own matchmaking the same way battlegrounds already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Dungeons have an auto join function you can use overheal :-) its up the top of the lfg panel if i remember correctly

Advertisement