Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show ( 18th September)

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Someone youtubed last Friday's Late Late and it has made it onto the first page of Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/9m8lj/richard_dawkins_on_the_late_late_show_91809/

A lot of people criticising Tubs' interviewing technique.

I'd tend to agree with a lot of it.

Part One -

Part Two -

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Plus 10 wrote: »
    Not exactly breaking news but was last night the worst interviewing you have ever seen? I never was a fan of Tubs but last night it was serious cringe stuff, very weak indeed.

Terrible terrible terrible interview by Tubridy...is it really beyond RTE and the Late Late Show these days to try and promote a balanced arguement?! Sure it was what made the Late Late great back in the good days...put polar opposite views on the box, and watch them reason it out...Tubridy though took a defensive Christian stance and never really discussed the issue at all...just cheap shots at one of the most accomplished scientists of our time..

Fair play to Dawkins for pointing out more than once that he was meant to be promoting his new book...and a joke that it wasn't discussed given the Nolan sisters were on doing the same thing beforehand...

Tubridy + Late Late = amateur hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

That was just cringey. Tubridy is so rude and asking Dawkins about his funeral, wtf?:confused: He just should not be on television. The Late Late Show should just get a fresh face in, and stop the revolving door of in-house 'personalities' (I use that term loosely.)

I thought Dawkins handled the whole thing pretty well, considering he was dealing with a total idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Surely after 3 weeks the people who dislike Tubdridy so much will have realised that they're not being forced to watch the show.... Go out somewhere, read a book, watch another channel (or DVD) but for the love of God please stop whinging.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Shakyfan wrote: »
    Surely after 3 weeks the people who dislike Tubdridy so much will have realised that they're not being forced to watch the show.... Go out somewhere, read a book, watch another channel (or DVD) but for the love of God please stop whinging.........
    Or you could take your own advice in relation to this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

was gay byrne somewhat progressive for his time, although also conservative and with set views, yet now we have new young host who's old fashioned....regressive

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Parakeets

Richard Dawkins is presently on Newstalk giving an interview. All is going very smoothly clearly because the interviewer is well red on his work. She repeatedly asks a question with "In your book ..." To me this is where Tubs falls down. He simply does not do his homework on the guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

tubridy had to have read the book

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I watched the interview and was shocked by how rude tubridy was with this guy. Tubridy is a pencil necked creep. No wonder his wife left him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Great to see Colleen Nolan on. I love looking at her enormous rack. Christ, she's a real woman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

claiva wrote: »
    I watched the interview and was shocked by how rude tubridy was with this guy. Tubridy is a pencil necked creep. No wonder his wife left him.
    so you dont like him then.why did you watch the late late when you dont like him.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

beyond cringeworthy that.

i personally can't stand the sight of dawkins. but that interview made me a little sympathetic towards him.

maybe that was RTE's evil plan all along...

wait there's no way they're that smart.

blond45 wrote: »
    so you dont like him then.why did you watch the late late when you dont like him.;)

I USED to tolerate him and thought his goofy awkwardness was kind of innocent.
    Now after seeing his Cowen and Dawkins interviews I've no time for him whatsoever and won't be tuning in again.

Bring Gaybo back, at least he treated guests with respect and dignity. Tubridy is not stupid, he's obviously trying to build up a hard man persona or something. Well, as hard as an 8 stone weasel can muster !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Bring Gaybo back, at least he treated guests with respect and dignity.

Except when he didn't know Alicia Silverstone was an actress, or goaded John Cleese into doing the funny walk, or barked down the phone at competition entrants. We're comparing three Tubridy shows to years of enhanced memories of Gay Byrne. His last few seasons were crass and embarrassing.

That being said, I agree that Tubridy's third show was bad. He looked completely underprepared for the Dawkins interview, and the Butlinesque audience participation is a bore. The band continues to embarrass too, with their fanatical devotion to the bleeding obvious. "I'm a Believer" for Dawkins. Christ. Did anyone find that funny for even the first bar?

It's interesting that the elements Tubridy has imported from his old show are the major offenders. I think they were a security blanket for him, and hopefully sense will prevail. They should let the Late Late Show be the Late Late Show, and grow out of their awe at Ross at the other Letterman acolytes.

Except when he didn't know Alicia Silverstone was an actress, or goaded John Cleese into doing the funny walk, or barked down the phone at competition entrants. We're comparing three Tubridy shows to years of enhanced memories of Gay Byrne. His last few seasons were crass and embarrassing.

That being said, I agree that Tubridy's third show was bad. He looked completely underprepared for the Dawkins interview, and the Butlinesque audience participation is a bore. The band continues to embarrass too, with their fanatical devotion to the bleeding obvious. "I'm a Believer" for Dawkins. Christ. Did anyone find that funny for even the first bar?

It's interesting that the elements Tubridy has imported from his old show are the major offenders. I think they were a security blanket for him, and hopefully sense will prevail. They should let the Late Late Show be the Late Late Show, and grow out of their awe at Ross at the other Letterman acolytes.

Fair points but I just can't get over Ryan saying to Dawkins that he wanted to ask him questions about something that was INTERESTING rather than his current book he was trying to plug. I mean who does Tubridy think he is ? What did HE ever do that was interesting ? Gaybo built up a repect amongst his peers for his skill at interviewing. I hope Tubridy cops on and realises that although the 100 studio audience members may have cackled at his amateur nodding and winking routine the majority of people watching at home were cringing.
    Gaybo was a great ambassador for Ireland. Tubridy has not shown 1% of that panache to date.
    The more I think about it they should have given the gig to Gerry Ryan !
    I'll give Tubridy one more week. If he does not excel when he interviews that poor boxers parents, I'm afraid I am going to have to let him go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The more I think about it they should have given the gig to Gerry Ryan !

I wish people would stop saying that... Some RTÉ big wig could be browsing this forum and think that's a good idea -- and then we'll be in a world of sh*t !

Dave! wrote: »
    I wish people would stop saying that... Some RTÉ big wig could be browsing this forum and think that's a good idea -- and then we'll be in a world of sh*t !

Ha ha ha...sorry dude, I was being only messing really !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Does anyone have a video of the Tubridy-Carr interview? RTE, being typically incompetent, has replaced the video with a 3 second advertisement and a blank screen on their website.

Advertisement