Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any regrets with your pet?

Options
  • 17-09-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

There's no doubt we all love our pets on here but, if you had to do it all over again, is there anything you'd do differently?

My biggest regret with my Cav is that I didn't go down the shelter route. I absolutely adore Lucy and wouldn't swap her for the world but, at the time, I was so gung-ho about getting a purebred (not for snobbish reasons, we're very stuck for space and I wanted 100% of a breed I knew would be ok in an apartment) that I didn't even consider a rescue as I presumed that all the dogs in there would be either mixed breeds or large PBs that got too big for people's back gardens. It's only since getting her and spending more time on here that I've learned more about shelters and rescues for specific breeds.
    Like I said, I wouldn't swap my little Lucifer for anything but when we have more space and get a second dog, I'm going for the rescue option.

My other regret is not being stricter and making sure she stayed in her bed at night and not ours. Did it at the start for an easy life when the whinging and crying got too much (and when my whinging to let her in got too much for Mr. 00112984) and now we can't get her out of our bed at all. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Out only regret was planting fruit trees and sweet tasting flowers :rolleyes:
    Dogs ate all the fruit off the tree and refused to allow passion flowers to grow :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Biggest regret was bring my Sam to the wrong vet.He was diagnosed with Diabetes and the first vet put him on insulin.After a week we noticed no difference so went for a second opinion in a different vets and was told that it was too late to treat and that a week earlier he wouldve been fine and also that insulin needs to be measured 100% correct according to the dogs weight and not prescribed willy nilly(which the first vet did)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I regret not keeping Harleys sister too. She was so beautiful. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

That's pretty awful Hellrazer,I'd have cracked had that happened. We've only got our brat a month or so,bit early for regrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Biggest regret was bring my Sam to the wrong vet.He was diagnosed with Diabetes and the first vet put him on insulin.After a week we noticed no difference so went for a second opinion in a different vets and was told that it was too late to treat and that a week earlier he wouldve been fine and also that insulin needs to be measured 100% correct according to the dogs weight and not prescribed willy nilly(which the first vet did)

That's so sad! :(

I regret not taking my dog out in the car when we got her first. Now every time she's in the car its dog, tissues, paper, plastic bags.....and air freshner:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

My youngest cat was a boy named Rio, whose mother we still have, with a dog too. One day I was set to go to the cinema with my brother and I noticed Rio wasn't well. He wasn't eating, he kept getting sick, didn't care for being rubbed, and flies kept landing on him. My mam made him a bed in our back garden seeing as he wouldn't come in. I reluctantly went out, and it was the last time I ever saw him. He disappeared not long after I left. Two days later my mam found him at the bottom of the garden behind the compost bin. She didn't tell me until the following day. Sorry for the detailed story, but my biggest regret is not being with him until the end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Mine is buying my little one from a puppy farmer who hadnt a clue about dogs. I didnt know the difference at the time which I know is no excuse but would never again.

she was so sick spent nearly as much at the vets with her than we did getting her. wouldnt change her for the world though!! best dog ever.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

I don't know exactly what I could have done to prevent this but I will tell ye the story anyway. I found a beautiful orange kitten one night when I was driving down a country road he was standing still in the road obviously scared by the sound of the car, thank god I saw him in time. Anyway my boyfriend got out and picked him up and all the way home he was whining, it was adorable. We fell in love with him straight away and loved when he grew into a long haired sandy coloured little man. We had him about a year and a half when I realised I had not seen him about in 2days. Then 2days turned into a week then I went around looking for him and calling him and to my HORROR I found him all wet, eyes gone and mouth wide open. It still haunts me because it was like something out of a nightmare. I just have no idea what happened to him :( we found a strange sign in the garden saying free cat on it. To top it off out other young cat was found dead along the road no blood or anything. It was a really weird time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Only regret is not getting a dog sooner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

When I was going to school a kitten followed me, I regret not picking it up, bringing him home and looking for the owners, a few days later he was hit by a car.

At the moment I'm starting to regret taking home a stray cat, he needs vet care(canine tooth rotten down to a stub) which I can't afford and either he's been straying for ages or the owner wasn't taking care of him. To top it off I'm worried that my cat will catch something from him. I don't know what way this is going to end but I don't think it'll be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

00112984 wrote: »
    My other regret is not being stricter and making sure she stayed in her bed at night and not ours. Did it at the start for an easy life when the whinging and crying got too much :rolleyes:

This would be my biggest regret. I did it at the start too with the eldest dog for the same reason. 10 years on, the three dogs graciously allow me to share their (I was going to say "my" but they claimed it as their own long ago) bed.

Apart from that, I can honestly say I've had no regrets whatsoever about any of them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

00112984 wrote: »
    My other regret is not being stricter and making sure she stayed in her bed at night and not ours. Did it at the start for an easy life when the whinging and crying got too much (and when my whinging to let her in got too much for Mr. 00112984) and now we can't get her out of our bed at all. :rolleyes:

In all fairness, OP. I don't think this is entirely your fault. We have had many dogs over the years and all slept in their own very warm, very comfortable beds in the kitchen but as soon as we got a CKC that was it, that rule was out the window! Even with our new dog, Bessie, a staffie, she sleeps in the kitchen.
    I think it might have something to do with the fact that CKCs were bred to warm the beds for the royalty in England and they know it!! They can get any type of dog owner to give in when it comes to sleeping arangements.:D As dogs they are so obedient but really, bed is their favourite place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

In all fairness, OP. I don't think this is entirely your fault. I think it might have something to do with the fact that CKCs were bred to warm the beds for the royalty in England and they know it!! They can get any type of dog owner to give in when it comes to sleeping arangements.:D As dogs they are so obedient but really, bed is their favourite place!

Exactly! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quick pic: spot the dog

374289220.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wish I had of known my cat was sick before it was too late for the vets to do anything :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Do you have to be so graphic.

Could you not just have said I regreted my chicken getting mycloplasma??

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

My chicken Meredith got mycloplasma. Twas a really bad case, and thankfully none of my other chicks got it.

Her sister is still alive and well though!

couldnt you have got her euthanized ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

I was at the vet 2 weeks before that. He didn't deal with chickens and didn't have much to say on the issue, just charged me and examined the head. Its €75 in my nearest vet to put down a chicken.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Peewee do you have to be so graphic?

Ive edited your posts after complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

My only regret is not taking more pictures of him when he was little!! I can't get over how big he has gotten!!!
    Sometimes I joke about taking the wrong pup and that I should have picked the runt of the litter!! Ozzie is absolutely mad sometimes, has no fear and is very dominant so he can be difficult to control at the best of times!!! Saying that though, I wouldn't swap him for anything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

I suppose I regret not getting my dog when she was a puppy. She's a spaniel cross (mainly Tibetan, so I've been told). She's the cutest thing. I bet she would have made the most adorable puppy :D. But we got her as a rescue dog, when she was just less than a year. Also, when we first got her she had a fear of rolled up newspapers:mad:. Now she's the most relaxed, contented, happiest dog I know! :P So I think I would have appreciated her more/ treated her better than her previous owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I can happily say none. My little wheaten terrier is cutiest, best behaved little dog ever. Maybe should have got a second one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

LaLucy, you poor thing! What a horrible thing to happen to anyone or their pet!

I suppose my biggest regret is that we we given our dog at a very turbulent and, to be honest a very fraught time in our family. As a result he's quiet nervous. He's completley and utterly adored now though, which I hope makes up for his shaky start!

I would prefer if we waited and decided ourselves that a dog was right for our family, but not at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Hmm my regret would be not ringing the shelter right away when I seen a picture of a beautiful st bernard for rehoming, her picture was barely on the website 24hrs when she got a big reserved sticker slapped on her, hmm if only id rang it could've been me she'd be reserved for.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I have a twinge of regret about getting my budgies wings clipped. The professional that did it recommended it as an aid in getting the bird hand tamed, and assured me that he wouldn't feel a thing, and whilst he obviously felt nothing whilst getting his wings clipped, I can tell he's very frustrated when he's flapping his wings like mad, but not getting anywhere, because he makes his angry noise. At least he's young though and they gain full flight back after about three months

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

We regret not getting our dog as a pup. We got her from a shelter at around a year old, she would have been an adorable pup. She is the most adorable collie alsation cross and is completely mad.

I'm beginning to regret getting one of our other dogs Logan. We get him from a shelter but he had been really badly treated. He is so good but recently I don't know what's happened but he's gotten snappy and bit my dad. He bit me once (I got in his way when he was going for another dog). He has been acting so badly around other dogs recently and my parents have said if he does anything else really wrong they will have to put him down in case he hurts someone not in the family. The thought of it has me in tears, never mind the actual act. When he isn't around other dog he is the kindest, gentlest dog. I couldn't ask for a better dog, he spends so much time with me with just his head on my lap while I stroke hi. He's didn't know how to play before he came to us, he still doesn't sometimes, but he is so cute when he tries. He is so puppyish. I don't know what I would do if they put him down. I'm only there once or twice a week now but it would be unbelievably awful. He's my Logiebear. I'm not sure if I would rather have never had him or to have had him and then have him put down. Sorry for the length of the post, I didn't realise how upset I was about it all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hey, just so you know. There are shelters out there who take dogs with issues like yours. So if your parents decide to get rid of him you could try that route instead. You just need to tell them about the issue and they will deal with it. Usually it take a different type of handling to sort it out, but most things can be fixed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

im in 2 minds about this one,i got my girl lucy about 3 years ago she's an american pitbull and due to the kind of people these dogs can sometimes attract(scumbags) i had her spayed to prevent any pups ending up in the wrong hands as well as for the health benefits,but she's turned out so well,best dog ive ever had and i would love to have bred her and i kind of feel guilty about not lettin her have pups(although i stil tink i did the rite ting for the sake of the breed)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Thanks helena.ryan, that would be a big help. If you could post or pm me some links or names, that would be really great. It would make me feel loads better if they had another option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Every time I get a vet bill I regret them hehe.

Nah not really although do regret some mistakes (mainly too spoilt and babied) made so now my pooches have some bad habits but hey nobodys perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

As lunatic as Pat is, Ive no regrets. Except for maybe allowing him on the bed at night. Now he wont budge his fat arse over the other side and gets thick if I invade "his" space. Other than that, he amuses me greatly and I dont regret having the psycho for one min. :)

Advertisement