Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master in Finance, TCD or UCD?

Options
  • 17-09-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Dear all,

I am french and I am completing a Grande Ecole master and I am planning to do another master's degree in Finance in Ireland either in TCD or in UCD.

What do you know about the reputation about these two programs in Ireland and in UK?

What about the careers we can get with these programs?

I have been living a year in Ireland before and I really love that country so I'd like to be back there.

Thank you for your answer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Maltoni78 wrote: »
    Dear all,

I am french and I am completing a Grande Ecole master and I am planning to do another master's degree in Finance in Ireland either in TCD or in UCD.

What do you know about the reputation about these two programs in Ireland and in UK?

I have been living a year in Ireland before and I really love that country so I'd like to be back there.

I've heard that UCD has a high employment reputation in comparison to TCD when it comes to business/ finance related careers.

But don't take my word for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Dear all,

The Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School in UCD has a very high reputation and is consistently the highest rating business school in Ireland. It came 24th in Europe in the last Financial Times ranking (December 2008): http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1201/breaking65.htm.

It's ridiculously expensive by Irish standards, however. I know a guy who did the MBS in Supply Chain Management 5 years ago and he has never been out of a job. It does seem to carry great weight in terms of securing employment.

PS: UCD is James Joyce's alma mater, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Smurfit has the name and reputation. TCD business school isn't as well known internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'd agree with the other posters, Smurfit has a tremendous reputation as a business school, however tcd is older and more prestigious.:D Ah no you're better off examing the websites of the schools and contacting some of the people there to see what the score is, I'd go to one of the postgrad fairs on in UCD and TCD and see what things are like. The big problem with Smurfit is that it's really expensive and you're talking a minimum of course fees coming to €11,000 (and this is masters conversion course for non-business graduates, the MiM). So you'd want to factor course costs between the two universities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

the issue isnt the school reputation but the course. Both courses are CFA programe partners, both are very well stocked with lecturers of international reputation, both are well run and competently administered. What differentiates them is
    • tcd allows non business graduates into the course
    • tcd runs the modules on bloc release basis
    • tcd brings in a lot of international faculty
    • tcd is rightly or wrongly better known internationally
    • ucd has larger numbers an swisher facilities
    • ucd is longer established but nobody knows what a MBS is outside ireland
    Talk to the two course directors, visit, talk to the students and faculty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mr.interested

Dionysus wrote: »
    [UCD is] ridiculously expensive by Irish standards
    El Siglo wrote: »
    The big problem with Smurfit is that it's really expensive ... €11,000

Oh, come on guys! MSc in Finance in TCD costs 13,250 for so-called UE citizens. How can you both say that UCD is very expensive if you compare it to TCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

ucd is longer established but nobody knows what a MBS is outside ireland

This is not really a problem, as UCD gives you a MSc now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Oh, come on guys! MSc in Finance in TCD costs 13,250 for so-called UE citizens. How can you both say that UCD is very expensive if you compare it to TCD?

As the course I refer to (if you actually read the entire post) was the management course for non-business graduates, and after speaking to people (living with one who did it) €11,000 for this course was extortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Just finished an MBS in Smurfit, albeit not in Finance. In my opinion - and this is strictly based on my own personal experiences - the course was poorly run, academically unengaging and a rip-off in pretty much every sense of the word. You'll also find that alot of Smurfit's rankings are based on its MBA course, not it's MBS or MSc stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maltoni78

First of all, thank you all for your answers!

As I am thinking about starting my career in the quantitative finance sector in Ireland, I am wondering about the reputation of a particular program in UCD, the MSc in quantitative finance.

Does anyone know about the reputation of this program? Is it (relatively) easy to get a job (even if we're still on crisis)?

The TCD MSc in Finance is very general so I am thinking not to apply to this one or at least in second choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Is it (relatively) easy to get a job (even if we're still on crisis)?

Not easy to get one anywhere I'm afraid, irrespective of the qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peterpp

TelePaul speaks for a specfic set of Masters, not the Finance one. Don't tarnish the Finance, Quant Finance, MBA, PhDs, Marketing Practice (or a few others) with the same brush. And never expect a masters to automatically entitle you for a job, job seeking is like an extra module you have to do unless you are in an Ivy League or Oxbridge college.

The Finance Masters in UCD and TCD both have excellent reputations, have high standards and, from my personal research, seem to be among the best general finance courses you can get in English speaking countries in Europe.

Neither get recruiters in as good as LSE or Oxbridge obviously, but UCD has a great alumni service and I'm sure TCD does too.

The Finance course in UCD has a CFA partnership (at least 70% of course material is CFA standard), and the course is well run, covers a huge amount of areas, has great lecturers. And it is in a grad school with great facilities.

Both courses are well run. TCD is a great college, in a great location, great to look at and also has a CFA partnership. I can't speak for it as much however as I don't know as much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Quant finance @ UCD is the best finance program going for anyone who wants to get into markets in Ireland.

Where did you study grand ecole ? Could you not do DEA in a french school?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

damnyanks wrote: »
    Quant finance @ UCD is the best finance program going for anyone who wants to get into markets in Ireland.

thats rather a large sweeping and I assume personal assersion. Can you back it up? And .....who says they want to get nto markets (what are they btw - trading, admin, back office, support, research, sell side , buy side...) in ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maltoni78

damnyanks wrote: »

I studied at Reims Management School. But I don't wanna follow my studies into another french degree!

I am currently applying for the UCD Msc in quant finance (the part time one cause I need to work to live and pay the fees:).

By the way, what is the actual employment situation in Ireland?

Thanks!

Advertisement