Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Studio XPS 8000

Options
  • 17-09-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

I just saw the new ads out for dells first Core i5/i7 Studio XPS desktops and I was wondering how big a difference building it myself actually made.

I found the RAM options quite funny. You can either take 3GB of tri-channel memory -- even though the CPUs only support dual channel -- or you can double the cost of your system with 12GB of RAM!!! WOW!
    12288MB (2x4096 + 2x2GB) 1066MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory [add € 890.00 or €33/month1]

At least it's dual channel!

Anyway, here are the components that come with the Studio XPS 8000 -- along with the approx price from HWVS...

Component | HWVS Price
    Intel Core i5-750 | €172
    Motherboard | €100
    Vista® Home Premium | €80
    3072MB 1067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM | €70
    500GB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive | €40
    512MB DDR2 ATI® Radeon™ HD 4350 | €30
    16X DVD+/- RW Optical Drive | €20
    Dell™ USB Entry Keyboard | €10
    Dell 2 Button USB Optical Mouse | €5
    "Case" (Pure Guess; probably overestimating with €100) | €100
    350W PSU | €30
    DataSafe Online Backup 2GB 1 year (Service is worth €0) | €0
    Microsoft® Works 9 (Open Office is Free) | €0
    1Yr Warranty Support (Warranty incl in components' price) | €0
    Shipping | €30
    --- | ---
    HWVS Price | ~€700
    Dell Price | €950
    --- | ---
    Saving | €250

Correct me if I have done anything wrong here, but is this really a circa €250 saving by doing it yourself???

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Try redoing the comparison with a HD4890 thrown in.

Enjoy. lol.gif

Yup, you overestimated on the case. The Dell jobbies are about as good cooling-wise (if that) as a CM Elite 330 which costs €30 on HWVS, but as the Elite is solid and the Dell is naff and plasticky I'll be merciful and say the HWVS price is €40 - for one of their nasty cheap plasticky units that gets excreted upon by the Coolermaster :D

Does the Dell price include a monitor though? And what level of warranty? 3 days? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

I'd love to try a 4890 (or even a 5870!) but the graphics options are limited to:
    • 512MB DDR2 ATI® Radeon™ HD 4350 graphics card [Included in Price]
    • 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT220 graphics card [add € 60.01 or €3/month1]
      Dell Recommended
    • Single 1GB Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 Graphics Card [add € 130.00 or €5/month1]

Kinda strange how you upgrade from ATI to NVIDIA! I'm not very familiar with NVIDIA cards, and I can't see it listed on HWVS, so I assume the GTS 240 is the precursor to the GTS 250?

That all seems quite "weak" for a system touted:
    Brace Yourself

Discover a more immersive media experience with the new StudioTM XPSTM 8000 desktop, designed to keep you front and center of all the action.

* NEW Intel® CoreTM i5 and CoreTM i7 processors
    * Escape into a creative multimedia experience with the new Studio
    * Stunning, high-performance graphics with NVIDIA® GeForce® up to 1.8GB

I'm also a little confused as to where the 1.8GB comes into this if the GTS 240 is only a 1GB card.

Nope, price doesn't include monitor and only includes basic 1 year warranty.

Advertisement