Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place to Immigrate to? This country is down the drain.

Options
  • 17-09-2009 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I was wondering where would be the best choice to relocate to at the moment?

Couldn't afford college this year so myself and the missus want to leave the country before we get sodomized by the government and can't afford to leave.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

emigrate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Alex-Face

population wrote: »
    emigrate

Thats exactly what I was asking - to where? Thank you for your ever so helpful post. >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

English-as-Official-Language%28v2%29.png

Canada/US,
    Australia/New Zealand,
    UK

Canada is my first choice if I'm going to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Its a global recession my friend so if you want to get away that bad at least try and head for somewhere with decent weather and hope for the best :)

Taking those points into account - I want to go somewhere without those f**king wasps or hornets. Maybe the Arctic? or Alaska!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

I got a job in London and I'm starting in 2 weeks. I got more of a response from UK recruiters than I did from any jobs I applied for on job sites here.
    Not sure if they even existed.
    I have an obligatory meeting with FAS next week where they stated in the letter they are going to help me with job vacancies, training courses and cv preparation. Really looking forward to that.

I'm just wondering now how I can get my 34k to Cowen. Will I write him a cheque before I go or just send him an IOU letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

T.G Catter wrote: »
    I got a job in London and I'm starting in 2 weeks. I got more of a response from UK recruiters than I did from any jobs I applied for on job sites here.
    Not sure if they even existed.
    I have an obligatory meeting with FAS next week where they stated in the letter they are going to help me with job vacancies, training courses and cv preparation. Really looking forward to that.

I'm just wondering now how I can get my 34k to Cowen. Will I write him a cheque before I go or just send him an IOU letter?

Maybe be a good citizen and send him the cheque... Maybe then he can start, 'Going Forward'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Alex-Face wrote: »
    I was wondering where would be the best choice to relocate to at the moment?

Couldn't afford college this year so myself and the missus want to leave the country before we get sodomized by the government and can't afford to leave.

Thanks

Guarantee you that you will still be here in 365 days time --- "Blah blah this country is crap blah blah down the tubes blah blah sodomised by the government"

How about you stay and contribute to the recovery

muletide wrote: »
    Guarantee you that you will still be here in 365 days time --- "Blah blah this country is crap blah blah down the tubes blah blah sodomised by the government"

How about you stay and contribute to the recovery

Because - I do not really want to stick around while everything goes down the chute. I am 19. My girlfriend is 18. We were homeless for over a month until we were able to pull enough together to get a room. Now we have worked our way upto renting a house. Now we want to leave before we are made homeless again - because after living on the street for that short period - I do not want to be there again. I may not have another chance.

Thats why. And considering I was made homeless by having a fight with my parents over the leaving cert and the house 'rules' at home - and my girlfriend's mam is unable to manage her and her siblings since she is down with MS - that she was old enough to 'get by on her own' /without a leaving cert so really - we have no fancy certificates or 'insurance' for a career here - Were barely getting by and were not on the Scratch - yet so really its more a survival thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If your an Irish citizen and you have nothing, your probably better off in Ireland TBH.

At least your entitled to welfare from the state here. If you go abroad and things don't pan out :-/

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    If your an Irish citizen and you have nothing, your probably better off in Ireland TBH.

At least your entitled to welfare from the state here. If you go abroad and things don't pan out :-/

Yeah true about that - but I don't want to depend on the government unless I absolutley have to. I mean there is nothing wrong Signin' On - especially in crap economic times where you have a better chance of finding an black person in the Klu Klux Klan than getting a job - unless you have 3rd Level education and/or know people in the 'Biz'.

Thanks anyways, and yes I am irish born and bred as is the missus. We just are a fraid to be here at the moment where the Government looks after the rich and pays for it out of our pockets.

It feels like a one way street sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Meh I have a 3rd level degree and 2 years experience relevant to my area. Trust me there are virtually zero actually existent positions in this country at the moment. Lots of jobs that appear to want to be hiring.

I have a very thorough approach to any interview and have always done any job to the best of my ability and have no reservation performing duties below what would be considered for my level but there are virtually no positions in the current market unless you are already in employment.

Employers don't want the unemployed even if you were unfortunate enough to be having your department out sourced, they just want people that want to move jobs with more experience than required to do the job on offer. Its very frustrating.

I've not signed on yet because I have savings and morals. I believe that social welfare is for those that truly need it and not for a drinking fund as many people I know see it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I'd have to second that. We (the older generations) always came back to Ireland if there was a general downturn, if we could. Being unemployed and in a foreign country is pretty unpleasant.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I'd have to second that. We (the older generations) always came back to Ireland if there was a general downturn, if we could. Being unemployed and in a foreign country is pretty unpleasant.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

+1
    Things may be bad here, but they might not necessarily be any better in a foreign country. No country in the world has escaped this economic sh*tstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I've not signed on yet because I have savings and morals. I believe that social welfare is for those that truly need it and not for a drinking fund as many people I know see it :(

While thats an admirable stance, I'd urge you to sign on anyway - I held out for as long as I could (until the savings were gone basically) on the same grounds, then had to wait four months until I was able to get anything, and I was really stretched during those four months. I don't like that I have to do it, but I'm telling myself I've paid taxes for years and so on..

Also, I'd be interested to know if there is any country in particular worth moving to for work. I've lived and worked abroad in different countries for a few years, and could go again no problem. Not having a job is driving me a bit nuts here to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭minusorange

population wrote: »
    emigrate

I clicked on this link to post the same thing. I'm annoying like that.

You beat me to it.

Damn we're alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

That's funny because; I believe that taxes are only for those that truly possess excess money...
    Please do sign on. Otherwise you are just massaging Government figures, and they don't deserve that kind of help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Thailand, live like a king for 52 cent!

I know a few people who are or who have gone to Canada. Alot of people have headed off to Aussieland too, but most are coming back after a year. Think Canada has a skilled-worker visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

dlofnep wrote: »
    Thailand, live like a king for 52 cent!

I did about six months in Thailand, teaching English. Found the pay not great, compared to most other countries where you can do TEFL, plus a lot of employers didn't want the hassle of organising visas. So combined with the large amounts of people who speak English passing through the country, and the low requirements of employers, not the greatest of industries to be in over there. Lovely country, weather, food, people, but when you're paying for your own visa runs, and working illegaly, and immigration are clamping down on it, it's a bit dodgy. You definitely wouldn't save much compared to say Korea or Japan - but you also don't need the qualifications those countries require.

And having said all that, I'd still consider going back.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I know a few people who are or who have gone to Canada. Alot of people have headed off to Aussieland too, but most are coming back after a year. Think Canada has a skilled-worker visa.

An awful lot of people I know who went to Australia came back with less money than they left with, or even in debt. Now this might just be due to them treating it as a year long holiday, and drinking all they earned away, but it was something that stood out to me.
    Just curious, did you notice that with friends that went for a year?

Canada really does interest me, not sure I'd qualify as a skilled worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

As above, I know people who went out to Oz and came back a month or two later, but these guys were involved in building here and didn't have many transferable skills.

The people I know with degrees in Pharma etc. seem to be doing nicely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement