Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In_tuition's weekly golf selection

Options
  • 17-09-2009 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Hope no one minds me putting up a selection each week.

This week I'm a bit stuck for a selection and have opted for the Samsung World Championship at Torrey Pines. Only 20 female competitors take part for this and I am going with In-Kyung Kim at 16/1. She's had a mixed bag of a year but 2 weeks ago at the Canadian Open she carded 18 birdies over the 4 rounds. Her greens-in-regulation stats are impressive and given the toughness of the course this week if she can continue those stats she'll have a decent shot a victory. It's a speculative bet on a bad weekend for golf.

€20 win

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

18th of 20.ah well there's always the players next week,would love to see barham win th egolf this week but i think soren will catch him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Poor show alright. Had Cabrera-Bello at 100/1 this week, had an immense round today to win. Adds to Yang at 350/1 recently for €10. Great profit this month, was going to stick up Bello on here on Thursday but decided to swerve against it as no one really knows him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 weirdear

Sorry TUTION but i'm finding the above hard to swallow. Before today (Joint lowest euro tour round) he was a nobody and had been for a while. Sure he lost his card a few years ago. Does remind me of Seve though!!!!

Unless, of course (exscuse the pun), you regularly punt on a few 100/1 bets??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

In_tuition wrote: »
    Poor show alright. Had Cabrera-Bello at 100/1 this week, had an immense round today to win. Adds to Yang at 350/1 recently for €10. Great profit this month, was going to stick up Bello on here on Thursday but decided to swerve against it as no one really knows him.

if you decided not to put Bello up here because you don't think anyone really knows him that doesn't wash.All the more reason to put him in and get the added plaudits.Lets pick 2 next week w/o woods from the start and see how we get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

LOL you remind me of a guy caught out in my local one day alledgedly ringing through huge bets only to leave his phone on the bar when he went to the jacks, somebody checked his last dialled numbers and he had been ringing his own voicemail.

• Advertisement

LOL - nice one.

Sorry TUTION but i'm finding the above hard to swallow. Before today (Joint lowest euro tour round) he was a nobody and had been for a while. Sure he lost his card a few years ago. Does remind me of Seve though!!!!

Unless, of course (exscuse the pun), you regularly punt on a few 100/1 bets??

Yes I do, I posted on here as Famous45 until a few weeks when I decided on this new account to portray my sports bets. I never posted up selections on other sports before only golf and I've no doubt you'll find my record under that name better than anyone.

In turn I'll most likely give the game up on here as the negativity sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

the negativity sucks.

so does saying "I was going to put up this bet.....BUT"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Yes I do, I posted on here as Famous45 until a few weeks when I decided on this new account to portray my sports bets. I never posted up selections on other sports before only golf and I've no doubt you'll find my record under that name better than anyone.

I also like to bet on the golf and if you are indeed Famous45 then yes as you have said your record and analysis of the game is very good and at least you justify your selections rather than picking names out of the air I for one always take your opinion into consideration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I was only messing with you dude keep the picks coming.

Im plumping for stricker to keep his good form going this week at 18/1 and will also have a little punt on Toms at 55/1.

• Advertisement

I was only messing with you dude keep the picks coming

No worries.

Thanks Premierstone.

I had chosen Zach Johnson & Ogilvy a couple of weeks ago for this weeks Tour Championship but have changed my thoughts. Here's my preview of this weeks event...

Patience will be the key attribute in the bag this week. Endless rain fell on the course towards the start of last weekend and the course will stretch right out and play further and make the already tough rough much tougher. Accuracy combined with the above patience, especially on the greens will see the right player rewarded with 1st place this week and potentially the Fed-Ex Cup also. It's extremely rare that I place a bet on Padraig Harrington but I am totally convinced that this week will be his time.

There are a few players present this week with excellent form at East Lake, Goosen, Furyk, Woods, Verplank & Kelly fit that bill. As much as I admire Dustin Johnson I think it will be extremely difficult for the 1st time players at East Lake this week, 10 players fall into that category, Johnson, Cabrera, Yang, Leishman, Gay, Dufner, Marino, Na, Senden & Watney and although it's never safe to rule out any golfer in a tournament, this week I am ruling each of those out.

Harrington's previous 5 events read tied 6th, T4, T2, T10 & tied 2nd. Only Tiger Woods has a better record. In my opinion it's not without a chance that Harrington could also scoop the player of the year award should he lift the Fed-Ex Cup this weekend. Harrington's main objective on the course is to be patient and strike the ball as accurate as possible, his putting skills which eluded in the 1st part of the year have definitely returned and his overall game, as we all know, is high-class once again. Not in hope, I expect Harrington to post a bold show this weekend and who knows he might take down the lot.

All the best to everyone else who has a selection.

Padraig Harrington 14/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I'll be keeping an eye on the thread In_tuition.

I usually don't bother betting until after the cut though.

I usually don't bother betting until after the cut though

Thanks.

It's a decent strategy you have. Players within 8-9 shots of the lead have a chance of claiming victory. There's usually a decent price to be found if you shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

you could be waiting a long time for the cut this week though !!

Main selections will be Turning Stone this week

Charlie Hoffman 60/1 and also small wager on 1st round leader at 60/1

Michael Sim 50/1

John Senden 28/1

Dustin Johnson 20/1

A lot of selections I know but I will explain tonight after work why they all warrant a bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

why haven't you kept a running account of your bet from the start???
    keeps the thing more transparent.........

I think your following d johnston for a few tournaments now, me too....
    He has to be close to a win, fell away a couple of times with one bad round in each tournamet
    if he steady's that down will be there abouts,he's a birdie machine no doubt

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

What about Paddy this week on the links, 9/1 fav, could he finally get over the winning line in front ?

Main selections will be Turning Stone this week

Charley Hoffman 60/1 and also small wager on 1st round leader at 60/1

Michael Sim 50/1

John Senden 28/1

Dustin Johnson 20/1

A lot of selections I know but I will explain tonight after work why they all warrant a bet

First off I really like the chances of Michael Sim, a 3-time winner on the Nationwide tour this year and he also performed pretty well in 2 majors that he played. Sim played here in 2007 with a score of -3 after 2 rounds and in turn missing the cut. That year he was ranked 215th in the world compared to an official ranking of 64th now, so you can see the improvement he has made in that time. He made 6 cuts out of 7 on the PGA Tour last year and his only 2 events this year were the above mentioned majors, were he tied for 18th in the US Open. His scoring average on the Nationwide Tour this season is just under 69. I expect a big performance this week, odds of 50/1 aren't too bad.

Charley Hoffman tied for 5th on his previous and only outing on this course with a score of -14, notably his 2nd round score was 65 (my reasoning for adding him to a 1st round leader bet this week). He's jumped from 247th to 112th in the official rankings in the past year so it's clear to see his game is improving and with 3 top 10 finishes to his name and that past record of a 65 I think he'll be fairly confident of a bold shot this weekend. 60/1 is a decent price.

John Senden, mr consistent year in year out. Has 6 top 10 finishes to his name this year. He was tied for 3rd here in 07. He is a top-class golfer and if his putter can get handy this weekend he'll be leading the field on the final day. Definitely worth a wager.

Dustin Johnson, winner last year under same conditions as he will encounter this week, is improving by the day as a player and for anyone who has followed me on here over time will know that I admire him as much as Tiger Woods, he is an amazing talent and if his recent excursions haven't taken anything out of him he will blow this field away.

€10 Hoffman to be Round 1 leader at 60/1
    €20 win Senden, Hoffman & Sim.
    €35 win Johnson.

On the European Tour this week I am opting for Lee Westwood, I've no real reason to other than I love him as a player and he was unfortunate last year to shoot a 76 for round 3. He's had a little break to recharge the batteries and at 15/1 he's worth €35 of my money.

All the best if you follow me in or if you choose another selection :cool:

What about Paddy this week on the links, 9/1 fav, could he finally get over the winning line in front ?

I think he'll be concentrating more on how much € he can swindle out of Desmond. Last weekends overall performance was still sketchy, personally I think his new swing isn't holding up under the pressure, but there is little pressure this week. I thought his putting skills had returned but they were under the radar again last week but a lot of them could be forgiven as many putts he faced on day 1 & 2 were downhill. He's obviously worth a bet if you follow him, but I don't.

I'll stick up a couple of big prices that I think could run a race this week on the European Tour*, only worth €2 each of your money but hopefully one of them will give us a good heartbeat.

Mikko Ilonen, his form in the last year or 2 has been nothing but awful and he has showed absolutely nothing to suggest that he should go well this week but a couple of years ago he was a major figure on the tour and I hoping he returns to something like that sooner rather than later. 250/1 (probably treble that if you punt on betfair)

Peter Hedblom, tied for 2nd in the KLM recently and backed that up a week later by winning the Johnnie Walker at Gleneagles, came out a couple of weeks later and tied 18th at the Mercedes-Benz Championships. Huge price at 100/1

Lee Slattery, tied for 2nd 2 years ago in the Alfred Dunhill Championships, sadly that's the one that takes place in SA and not this one so on that note I have really no reason whatsoever to select other than he is capable of springing a surprise. 200/1

Most likely 2 out of the 3 will fail to secure a place on the last day but as a bit of added interest I'll be having a few euro on each. :cool:

• Advertisement

In case anyone is foolish enough to read Ryan Smithson on the PGA Tour website please ignore the following in relation to Michael Sim..

"This is Sim's first start on TOUR this season since earning a three-win promotion from the Nationwide Tour. He doesn't have any experience on this course, but he hits the ball reasonably long and very straight off the tee, and he's a deadly accurate putter"
    He doesn't have any experience on this course

Erm, I'd afraid to say that he does

was on westwood myself anyway @ 17/1
    had €2 on illonen @ 609/1:) & €2 @ 26/1 he'd make top 10(didn't he show in one of the opens hoylake maybe?until last day or something)

anywho will be on d johnson 20/1 too in us
    but will be differing in the rest my other fancy is sabbatini 47/1

good luck

p.s. I still think you should be tracking your bets from day 1
    even though 1or 2 wins in a season can cover you in golf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Dunhill Golf - Chris Wood ew 35/1, Bradly Dredge ew 60/1, and Paddy to win ;)

Turning Stone Golf - D Johnson win 16/1, Davis Love ew 45/1 and Jeev Milkha Singh ew 60/1

Best of luck Hatch

I'll stick up a couple of big prices that I think could run a race this week on the European Tour*, only worth €2 each of your money but hopefully one of them will give us a good heartbeat.

Mikko Ilonen, his form in the last year or 2 has been nothing but awful and he has showed absolutely nothing to suggest that he should go well this week but a couple of years ago he was a major figure on the tour and I hoping he returns to something like that sooner rather than later. 250/1 (probably treble that if you punt on betfair)

Peter Hedblom, tied for 2nd in the KLM recently and backed that up a week later by winning the Johnnie Walker at Gleneagles, came out a couple of weeks later and tied 18th at the Mercedes-Benz Championships. Huge price at 100/1

Lee Slattery, tied for 2nd 2 years ago in the Alfred Dunhill Championships, sadly that's the one that takes place in SA and not this one so on that note I have really no reason whatsoever to select other than he is capable of springing a surprise. 200/1

Nice start to the tournament for the above selections. Hedblom was +3 with 8 to play and managed to finish level par.

Ilonen -2 and Slattery -4 are 2 great scores on the Carnoustie links course.

Hopefully can continue the trend into tomorrow

Ilonen -2 and Slattery -4 are 2 great scores on the Carnoustie links course.

Ilonen shot 64 today at St Andrews which included a double-bogey, has moved to -10. Slattery only managed -1 on his round today which moves him to -5 and not out of it.

With Ilonen's round today the aim of getting a decent run with one of the outsiders is looking very bright. Hope some of you are on

Ilonen shot 64 today at St Andrews which included a double-bogey, has moved to -10. Slattery only managed -1 on his round today which moves him to -5 and not out of it.

With Ilonen's round today the aim of getting a decent run with one of the outsiders is looking very bright. Hope some of you are on

Unfortunately Im not couldnt really see where you were coming from :o Although I did jump on Michael Hoey yesterday in running at 120's on Betfair so you never know we could be haveing a right old outsiders duel come sunday evening!!

ya on ilonen too
    but hoey looks good & playing in st andrews tomorrow
    where all the guys in the studio said they'd rather be playing tomorrow in the high winds that are expected
    gl

First off I really like the chances of Michael Sim, a 3-time winner on the Nationwide tour this year and he also performed pretty well in 2 majors that he played. Sim played here in 2007 with a score of -3 after 2 rounds and in turn missing the cut. That year he was ranked 215th in the world compared to an official ranking of 64th now, so you can see the improvement he has made in that time. He made 6 cuts out of 7 on the PGA Tour last year and his only 2 events this year were the above mentioned majors, were he tied for 18th in the US Open. His scoring average on the Nationwide Tour this season is just under 69. I expect a big performance this week, odds of 50/1 aren't too bad.

Charley Hoffman tied for 5th on his previous and only outing on this course with a score of -14, notably his 2nd round score was 65 (my reasoning for adding him to a 1st round leader bet this week). He's jumped from 247th to 112th in the official rankings in the past year so it's clear to see his game is improving and with 3 top 10 finishes to his name and that past record of a 65 I think he'll be fairly confident of a bold shot this weekend. 60/1 is a decent price.

John Senden, mr consistent year in year out. Has 6 top 10 finishes to his name this year. He was tied for 3rd here in 07. He is a top-class golfer and if his putter can get handy this weekend he'll be leading the field on the final day. Definitely worth a wager.

Dustin Johnson, winner last year under same conditions as he will encounter this week, is improving by the day as a player and for anyone who has followed me on here over time will know that I admire him as much as Tiger Woods, he is an amazing talent and if his recent excursions haven't taken anything out of him he will blow this field away.

€10 Hoffman to be Round 1 leader at 60/1
    €20 win Senden, Hoffman & Sim.
    €35 win Johnson.

John Senden was best place having finished on -15, 2 off the winning score.

• Advertisement

So anybody any strong fancy's for this weeks Madrid Masters, going with Charles Schwartzel, Alvaro Quiros and Danny Willett myself.

Schwartzel is defending champ and also won on this course 2007 i think.

Quiros while having the pressure of been a home town favourite I think he's game is ideally suited to the layout of this course where the Par 5's are hugely important.

Finally Danny Willet, I've been following he's progress lately and I think a big breakthrough is very near and when he gets in the flow can be a birdie machine which is important around here as the winning score will be very low.

Oh and I almost forgot I nearly always do a patriotic wager on an Irishman and this week I have chosen Darren Clarke, a combination of last weeks good showing, he's length off the tee and that when he hits a streak with the putter it can be sensational.

*In tuituion I hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread but I didnt think it merited opening a seperate golf thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement