Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In_tuition's weekly golf selection

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

*In tuituion I hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread but I didnt think it merited opening a seperate golf thread.

Not at all my man. Feel free.

Nice write up. I'll post mine at some point tonight.

This is my one of my favourite events on tour it's a great course designed by Seve and I had planned to attend there this week but something has come up and sadly I can't make it and possibly not the Ireland match too :mad:

Really sorry about the lack of content with these selections. Had to reformat my laptops tonight so there will be no proper preview as I am strapped for time right now but my selections below are who stuck out for me during my studying for this event last weekend and each are worth a tenner.

Anthony Wall 60/1 (Boylesports)

Thongchai Jaidee 50/1 (Ladbrokes)

Bradley Dredge 50/1 (Ladbrokes)

Best of luck to anyone else who is having a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Backed Castano e/w , still good betting, Garcia 6/4, 16/1 bar, dont fancy Sergio at all.

In_tuition wrote: »
    Anthony Wall 60/1 (Boylesports)

Thongchai Jaidee 50/1 (Ladbrokes)

Bradley Dredge 50/1 (Ladbrokes)

Leaders on -13 at the half-way stage. Wall finds himself on -11, Jaidee & Dredge both on -6 and anyone within 9 of the lead has always a chance of victory so hopefully get a good run tomorrow.

2 selections from last week, Micko Ilonen is -7 having shot -9 for his second round, he is definitely worth following now he has returned to form, Lee Slattery on -8 another to keep on the right side of in the next few weeks.

Good luck

Wall my best placed finisher T7 on -17.

Have to really make a comment on Ilonen having put him up last week, he came out this week and shot a 74 on day 1 which included 2 double bogeys and eventually he was only beaten by 3 shots. Amazingly since round 1 he didn't drop 1 shot, shooting back-to-back 63's and a 66 today. As said above at the half-way point he is one to keep on the right side of in the coming weeks although most likely we won't be seeing 250/1 + on him any longer.

Encouraging performance by Willet allbeit a disappointing final round today.

• Advertisement

TPC Summerlin, Las Vegas is the venue this week on the PGA Tour. It's a splendid course which I've had the pleasure of playing on several occasions while living in Summerlin.

I'm finding it really difficult to nail down a couple of solid selections for this week. The overall form of most players around this course is sketchy. You can make a decent case for the market leader Furyk but at the skinny prices he is not worth a wager. Rory Sabbatini had a fantastic record around the course from 2001-2003, where he tied for 2nd, came 5th and tied for 9th and in the process shooting a combined -69 under par - impressive stats. He missed the cut last term but he was going through a bad patch then, he's returned to somewhere near his best this season and playing at a course which he clearly thrives at, it could definitely pay to have a wager on him this week. 35/1 with B'sports and 33/1 with Laddies.

I could seriously post up a whole host of contenders here who have some sort of course form but as I already said most of it is sketchy and with that risk at stake I'd decided that those players aren't worth my money this time round instead I'm taking what you might deem an even bigger risk! by selecting a few folks who have never played the course before, silly huh! Anyway Anthony Kim is a birdie machine, he is aggressive and this course will play to his strengths and he played very well in the Presidents Cup last weekend, moving onto this course with that confidence will definitely create fireworks on his part this weekend.

3 further newcomers to the courses this week are Brandt Snedeker, Webb Simpson & J Milka Singh. Thought about posting up Leishman at big odds but he's had a tough last couple of months so decided against him.

Simpson has had a fantastic year and if I'm honest I do not think this course will suit him but I bet on him every for every event so this week will be no different.

Snedeker missed out on the Tour Championship by a few places, his record in the play-offs is not going to set the world alight but if you look at the overall facts (which I will mention below) it was actually very very good play. He tied for 10 in the BMW Championships and that was after shooting
    a 76 in the final round. He was T12 in the Barclays after shooting 75 in round 2. Prior to his last 5 events he was missing cuts left right and centre so his overall play just before and during the play-offs can be read as being very good considering he was a player who couldn't buy a round before that.

Milka Singh pretty much secured his 2010 card on the PGA Tour by shooting an -8 under par 64 on the final round and in turn finishing 7th in the Turning Stone Championship a few weeks ago. In finishing in the top 10 he earned his place in the field at Summerlin this week. Any sort of decent result this week would confirm his card for next year but it's pretty much in the bag as we speak so with that kinda freedom combined with the 64 he shot under immense pressure you can see why I am selecting him this week.

A Kim 20/1 €20

J Milka Singh 55/1 (b'sports) €10

B Snedeker 40/1 (ladbrokes) €10

R Sabbatini 35/1 (b'sports) €10

W Simpson 100/1 (ladbrokes) €10

€60 layout.

All the best to anyone else having a selection

Will post up my thoughts on the European Tour this evening.

Feel free to post up your selections

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭boccy23

Also backed Rory Sabbatini. My other pick was Ryan Moore. He went to school in Vegas and has played well in this before.

In Europe I have gone with Alex Noren. Played well down the stretch last week and could contend again and Ollie Wilson who played well in Scotland.

Including bets on Summerlin my total layout on this thread so far has been €266, in post 12, I had €50 on Harrington, don't think it was mentioned on the thread.

Currently €266 layed out.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Also backed Rory Sabbatini. My other pick was Ryan Moore. He went to school in Vegas and has played well in this before.

In Europe I have gone with Alex Noren. Played well down the stretch last week and could contend again and Ollie Wilson who played well in Scotland.

Yeah Moore, Hoffman, Chad Campbell (all former UNLV), these are part of the group who I mentioned that are just too sketchy around here. I put Hoffman couple of weeks ago and he was totally dreadful for no reason whatsoever, that reason really being that he is sketchy and there is a whole host of players who have such contrasting form on this course.

Ryan Moore has shot a 79 around Summerlin on a final round, which is probably the course record for the highest score :D, he also has a 76 to his name in contrast he has carded a 63 & a 64, so now you know what I mean about sketchy!

I'd be here all day coming up with similar and worse stats for the majority of the field for this event that's why I've found it so hard to actually be very confident about anyone who has played around here before.

I'm not trying to disect your post either mate, I'm not trying to judge your selection about Moore, purely just explaining more in detail about what I said in my preview and how really anyone could pop up this week. So I hope the above hasn't come across like that.

best of luck :cool:

• Advertisement

Portugal Masters

The very best touring pros are in the field this week and I am sure the usual suspects, Harrington, McIlroy, Fisher and Westwood will be well supported this weekend and rightly so but I am swaying away from them in the hope that I can secure a bigger-priced winner with as much winning potential as the market leaders and because of this I will only be placing €5 win bets on each.

First up is Michael Lorenzo-Vera. Since the end of August he's been T15, T19, T21 and last weekend T10, not eye-catching but it's very consistent and in turn reflects that a player is striking the ball to the best of his ability. A 73 on the final round last week, which consisted of a triple bogey on the back 9 is hardly installing great confidence with him as a selection but his front 9 was mediocre and perhaps he felt he needed to take a more agressive line in the back 9 to move further up the leaderboard it's understandable and it's an attitude I admire. His putts-per-round & greens-in-regulation stats for last weekend were good and if that final round has had no bearing on his overall play of late he's worth a small wager in Portugal this weekend. 125/1 (b'sports - probably double that on b'fair)

Fabrizio Zanotti
    is a young player with fantastic talent. He is a bit hit or miss purely because he is a slow starter generally in tournaments but I am hoping his exploits last week will make him a hit. He hit 44 out of 56 fairways in last weeks event which is seriously impressive, but he does this in nearly every event and this doesn't necessarily win a tournament obviously but it shows you are striking the ball well. 3 dropped shots though in the final couple of holes doesn't install great confidence but the Paraguayan is definitely capable of making a challenge. He finished 2nd to Thomas Levet in the Spanish Open back in May so this part of the world obviously feels like home and I am counting on him producing a decent display this week being back in an area where he has played well before. 125/1 (p power and again prob double this on b'fair)

2 other players worth a bet are Ben Curtis 60/1 (b'sports) & Mikko Ilonen 70/1 (b'sports)

€5 win on each.

totaly layout on thread so far €286

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Not much variation to my bets this week, sticking with Alvaro Quiros, Charl Shwartzel, Danny Willet and the one change is Stephen Webster.

Alvaro is defending champion and the course really is built to suit he's game with lenght off the tee vital here aswell, two very low rounds last week confirm he is striking it well so just needs the putter to fire.

Schwartzel has finised top ten here twice and did exceptionally well last week considering he had to play all 4 rounds with borrowed clubs.

Danny Willet was T7 last week and that was with only a 72 on day four and as i said last week when the winning score is going to be as low as it will again this week this guy is one to keep on your side.

Last but by no means least is Stephen Webster who with a win and a 3rd round here is impossible to ignore, horses for courses and all that!!

Good luck to all having a punt hopefully some of us come out on the right side, im actually away on a stag this weekend so wont be able to do my usual trading on betfair so i'll have to rely on one of them to seal the deal ;)

Cheers premierstone, nice write up again, best of luck with them.

Update at half-way point in each event.

Euro Tour: Leader on -15

Curtis (-8)
    Ilonen (-4)
    Zanotti (-4)
    Vera (-3) (missed cut)

PGA Tour: Leader on -13 (at the moment)

Milka Singh (-10)
    Snedeker (-7)
    Simpson & Kim (missed cut)

I am placing a further €10 on Curtis at 100/1 and I'd advise others to follow. He should have it won already :D

I'm finding it really difficult to nail down a couple of solid selections for this week. The overall form of most players around this course is sketchy. You can make a decent case for the market leader Furyk but at the skinny prices he is not worth a wager

No joy this week although I wasn't all that confident beforehand.

Furyk had a fantastic tournament, only player in the top 6 to shoot a round in the 70's, that being a 73 and still only missed out by 1 shot to make a play-off.

Sadly none of my selections made a serious challenge in either event but once again you got to keep on the right side of Mikko Ilonen, he's shot 2 64's & 2 63's in recent weeks, clearly on the top of his game.

Will post up next weeks selections tomorrow night.

Won't be any selections from me this week. Feel free to post yours though

With just a couple of events left on the PGA Tour season players are looking to get exemptions and their tour card for '10 season. The Viking Classic takes centre stage this week. Not many of you will be familiar with it as it's taken a backstage seat in recent years, in that it's played second fiddle to other PGA Tour events in the same week but not this year. This weeks event contains 5 players who have won in 09 and no less than 10 major winners but I'm quietly confident with my selections this week so very hopeful of a bold show from each one of them.

It's a long course but it doesn't necessarily mean that big hitters will prosper although giving the rain that's been falling all last week and the forecast of much more to come it's looking like the course will play much much longer than usual as the fairways and rough are bermuda grass which offer very little roll in the wet.

Woody Austin, T6 at The Colonial last May, which is a similar course to this weeks. Austin was %74 for greens-in-regulation in that event and %70 for scrambling, these are 2 key factors that will decide who wins the event this week. He was 9th in the St Jude Classic (TPC Southwind) a few weeks later where his average driving distance was 291 yards, again on a similar course with bermuda grass greens, this weeks greens are champion bermuda and again similar total yardage.

Overall Austin has had a disappointing year by his standard, he's only had 3 top 10 finishes and has slipping down the official rankings from 31st (2 years ago) to 107th. He has missed his last 2 cuts and you'd probably class someone as a little insane by selection him. But he has the credentials, he has decent enough form at the course over the years. 66/1 (boylesports)

Brandt Snedeker
    . Put him up a few weeks ago for the TPC Summerlin in Las Vegas and pretty much doing the same again under those circumstances. Once again he finds himself playing a course for the first time, he handled Summerlin pretty well finishing T24. Here's the write up I had about him then "
    Snedeker missed out on the Tour Championship by a few places, his record in the play-offs is not going to set the world alight but if you look at the overall facts (which I will mention below) it was actually very very good play.

He tied for 10 in the BMW Championships and that was after shooting
    a 76 in the final round. He was T12 in the Barclays after shooting 75 in round 2.

Prior to his last 5 events he was missing cuts left right and centre so his overall play just before and during the play-offs can be read as being very good considering he was a player who couldn't buy a round before that"

Definitely worth following again. I know it's a track he has yet to encounter but he is a previous winner on Bermuda fairway golf courses having won the Wyndham Championships in 07. He tied for 5th in that event this year, this was after he had missed 3 cuts in 4 events, so that event kick-started his season again and since then he has performed well. Also this year's event at the Wyndham was plagued with rain delays so something similar to what they might expect this week. 25/1 (ladbrokes)

3 main bets for this so are

W Austin 66/1 €10 win
    B Snedeker 25/1 €30 win

Nathan Green 125/1 €25 win (previous winner this year but since then seems to have taken it easy, and may do so again this week, but has showed signs of winning form in last 2 events by shooting 3 66's and 6 of 8 rounds in the 60's. T25 in this last year - serious dark-horse and he is a massive price)

Others of interest who are worth a small wager include:

W Simpson 50/1
    J.J. Henry 66/1
    Jason Gore 100/1

Will post up my thoughts on the Asian Tour and World Match-Play later this evening.

As always, all the best to everyone else having a selection, feel free to post your thoughts :cool:

World Match-Play

Ross Fishe
    r - 3rd place earlier in the season in the Accenture World Match-Play, has progressed since then, back in the groove after a short period off and plays Villegas, Milka-Singh and Westwood.

Oliver Wilson beat Kim in the Accenture after taken care of Choi in round 1, ran into Justin Leonard who just edged him out after extra holes. Faces Garcia, Kaymer & Allenby. I think he will take care of all 3 of them.

Wilson woke up this morning with spasms in his neck and had to pull out of todays pro-am. He's had physio though and he feels okay and as they say beware of the injured golfer!

Oliver Wilson 25/1 will win this... €25 win.

Ross Fisher 14/1 €10 win.

Asian Tour

Barclays Singapore Open

Soren Kjeldsen 66/1 €10 win (ladbrokes)

Mikko Ilonen 80/1 €10 win (ladbrokes) - past winner in Indonesia and been following since I put him up at big prices here a while ago hoping he would return to form, he has done so with a bang and I really hope he gets what he deserves this week after some explosive displays.

Total layout for this week is €150. €10 on each of the other selections on the PGA Tour.

Total layout on the thread so far is €346 :cool:

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

just a query why would you put 30 on a 25/1 and then you feel so strong but only put 10 on a 14/1 not knocking you but just wondering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

because he has no staking plan but anyway I digress, Famous45, Intuition whatever you want to call yourself, if you bet win bets each week, why the hell aren't you using an exchange?

fintonie wrote: »
    just a query why would you put 30 on a 25/1 and then you feel so strong but only put 10 on a 14/1 not knocking you but just wondering

PM sent, cheers.

"thank goodness" for the ignore button :cool:

*The first round of the Viking Classic has been postponed until Friday due to overnight rains that saturated Annandale Golf Club and rendered the course unplayable

Oliver Wilson beat Kim in the Accenture after taken care of Choi in round 1, ran into Justin Leonard who just edged him out after extra holes. Faces Garcia, Kaymer & Allenby. I think he will take care of all 3 of them.

Wilson woke up this morning with spasms in his neck and had to pull out of todays pro-am. He's had physio though and he feels okay and as they say beware of the injured golfer!

Oliver Wilson 25/1 will win this... €25 win

Fantastic play by Wilson especially in his 2nd match against Kaymer. Defeated both him and Garcia and faces Allenby tomorrow knowing that a point (tie) will see him into the semi-finals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

I dont know why thedini bothered to post, your info is top stuff In tuition well explained,

we can make our own decisions but your info defo makes it easier pulling the field to 10/12 plrs thanks once again

and thanks for the PM. :)

fintonie wrote: »
    I dont know why thedini bothered to post, your info is top stuff In tuition well explained,

we can make our own decisions but your info defo makes it easier pulling the field to 10/12 plrs thanks once again

and thanks for the PM. :)

Thank you very much fintonie.

I pay no heed to his posts, he's been ignored for quite a while. Too fond of trolling on my threads.

*The first round of the Viking Classic has been postponed until Friday due to overnight rains that saturated Annandale Golf Club and rendered the course unplayable

The first round was postponed again until Saturday morning.

World Match-Play

Ross Fishe
    r - 3rd place earlier in the season in the Accenture World Match-Play, has progressed since then, back in the groove after a short period off and plays Villegas, Milka-Singh and Westwood.

Oliver Wilson 25/1 will win this... €25 win.

Ross Fisher 14/1 €10 win.

Wilson knocked out today by losing to Allenby.

Fisher through to the semi-final to face Cabrera. So fingers crossed of some profit for the event.

• Advertisement

The first round was postponed again until Saturday morning.

PGA Tour event round 1 now postponed until Sunday and I think this will be the earliest as Kevin Streelman thinks it's unlikely to go ahead then too :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement