Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In_tuition's weekly golf selection

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

:)
    ooh it was some series of books
    he is the lad with the big golf tipping phone ad in the racing post

kind of streeks players went on
    types of greens they liked
    where they went to college
    + a whole lot more

basically all the grunt work for the year done for you for $20 or so

detailed description of who should like each tourni,
    this added to current form it made life a lot easier

anyhu cheers again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

In_tuition wrote: »
    Oliver Wilson 33/1 (ladbrokes) €40 win

Mikko Ilonen 90/1 (boylesports) €5 win

Both players on level par after round 1.

Wilson was -2 going into his final hole and somehow managed a double-bogey having played solid all round. Disappointing finish but I expect him to fire at least -5 in his second round to get back into contention.

PGA Tour heads to Disney this week for the final PGA Tour event of the season. There is two courses, the magnolia course and the palm course. One round in played on the palm course - the tournament is a birdie fest. The winning score will be in the region of -25 to -28. The first two rounds are played as a pro-am.

You need to select a player who is capable of making a lot of birdies (obviously). 11 of the last 16 winners all made the most birdies that week.

I mention it sometimes but select players who perform well on bermudagrass. Distance off the tee will be another factor this week, there has been little if no rain in recent weeks so the course is as dry as it can be, in turn the ball will travel a lot further.

There is 1 player who fits this category exceptionally well, Ricky Fowler. Move over Rory McIlroy, this kid is explosive. He belts it off the tee, his putting is sensational. Young, eager and hoping for a top-3 finish that will take him into the top 125 and secure his tour card for next season without a trip to qualifying school.

Beaten in a play-off in the Frys.com Open after shooting a low score he fits the bill perfectly this week. He is a fantastic young lad who is the hottest property in golf.

Ricky Fowler 25/1 €25 win

Best of luck with your selections :cool:

Fowler finished round 1 on -6, carding 7 birdies (5 of them in the final 6 holes). Fantastic start and is the current leader in the clubhouse.

Looks promising for the weekend :)

Both players on level par after round 1.

Wilson was -2 going into his final hole and somehow managed a double-bogey having played solid all round. Disappointing finish but I expect him to fire at least -5 in his second round to get back into contention.

Both players missed the cut (-2)

Wilson finished +2, he played well and as mentioned in the preview he was unpredictable with the putter and that was the case. The double-bogey on round 1 on the final hole was the telling moment for him in this tournament.

Ilonen finished -1, just 1 shot off the cut. Again disappointing.

Hopefully a win on the PGA Tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

I do ;)

I've no idea, I don't think a book can relay enough information.

I read probably 100 different articles each week which keep me up-to-date with the world of golf on and off the course.

Following players websites or even their tweets is a decent way of getting some added information for yourself.

I consider a lot of factors before making a selection each week. I use one source and one source only to finally gather the information I need and if you want to know what it is I will post it up at the beginning of the 2010 schedule (which is only weeks away) :)

firstly i only back on golf and no other sport at all.
    I have had some great wins over the years and study form a lot.
    Do you not agree that in general the main reason a player wins on tour(apart from Tiger)is because they have an absolutely amazing week on the greens.(esp us tour)
    The exeption is where you have a really tough course where gir's are hard to come by.This is where the likes of Tiger or Westwood on his day would hit more greens than your average player and as a result holding birdie putts all over the place is not on the cards.
    The us tour is a putting contest really most weeks.
    In tuition,regarding your e/w theory tbh a lot of my friends who are bigger players than me use the same mantra but i think for a average sized punter like me it's more important not to back more than 1 in each tourney(that's a real false economy,bookies love that)and as i'm only backing 1 i don't mind doing him/her e/w,
    Your thoughts?

• Advertisement

heavyballs wrote: »
    firstly i only back on golf and no other sport at all.
    I have had some great wins over the years and study form a lot.
    Do you not agree that in general the main reason a player wins on tour(apart from Tiger)is because they have an absolutely amazing week on the greens.(esp us tour)
    The exeption is where you have a really tough course where gir's are hard to come by.This is where the likes of Tiger or Westwood on his day would hit more greens than your average player and as a result holding birdie putts all over the place is not on the cards.
    The us tour is a putting contest really most weeks.
    In tuition,regarding your e/w theory tbh a lot of my friends who are bigger players than me use the same mantra but i think for a average sized punter like me it's more important not to back more than 1 in each tourney(that's a real false economy,bookies love that)and as i'm only backing 1 i don't mind doing him/her e/w,
    Your thoughts?

First off with regards to the e/w theory, I don't know if anyone else uses this, as you said your friends do, I think when you bet on golf over a period a time this method is the most sensible and this is how came across it. It's purely preference. It's proved profitable for me overall the last 3 years so for now at least I will continue to place my bets this way.

Putting is a huge factor in any tournament, I don't think you can nail it down to solely the PGA Tour. For example Wilson this week, he hasn't putted well apart from a few holes in the World Match Play a few weeks ago since then it's been sketchy as I mentioned in the preview, where has he ended up this week? missing the cut.

You then ask why select him? Given the final round he has last weekend and knowing how much he likes this course and the price on offer I thought he would be a good bet if things went well for him, they were going well until the 18 hole on day 1, after that I can't do anymore. Straight away you look to a player's mental state, he said after his round that "left a lot of work to do" negative signs there which I don't relate to in a player in turn his putter let him down on round 2 cause he had no confidence. (bogey 4 out of 6 holes in the middle on his round, 3 back-to-back)

Anyone can have a good day but if you are out of sorts with the stick for a short period of time it's the hardest obstacle to overcome.

One thing I will say, the short game in general is what proves victorious week in week out.

Course-form, current-form, current mental state are a few of the things I factor into my bets each week.

Overall I put a lot of effort into choosing my selections each week, but it's not an effort whereby I feel obliged to doing it.

I don't do it for the money, obviously I do not want to lose and really want to win but it's not life or death whether I pick the winner of this weeks event. I love golf, I love watching it and I love the feeling when you have selected a winner going on what your perception was before the event. I do it for the pleasure and the excitement, I get a great buzz out of golf events.

It's difficult to nail down a sure fire winner each week, it really is but I'd like to think I do a decent enough job finding players who are knocking on the door each tournament. Given this account and my previous accounts history (famous45) with golf selections I think that is the case.

I don't post on here to get a pat on the back for writing up a preview. I appreciate the nice comments, I really do but I only post up my selections to help others hopefully make a few quid.

I hope you continue to have success and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'll chat all day about golf :)

it's very easy for people to slag off bets after the event,golf isn't easy at all,the amount of research i do on my each way selections makes me do them e/w as i'm very confident in them being placed although obviously it doesn't work out all the time
    I think there's only 1 way to make a profit on golf and that's backin and layin on bf,i don't have the patience nor the time to do it as you have to be on the ball all the time so you don't miss out on something big like an eagle or a db.
    Btw my local bookie gives 1/4 odds on all touneys for 6 places which is good and the bird behind the counter even payed me last yeay for Justin Leonard in Hawaii even though there were only 30 players(happy days,i think he was tied 5th with 1 other)

Btw my local bookie gives 1/4 odds on all touneys for 6 places which is good and the bird behind the counter even payed me last yeay for Justin Leonard in Hawaii even though there were only 30 players(happy days,i think he was tied 5th with 1 other)

:D

Placed 3 further bets at the half-way stage all €10 in the Hong Kong event.

Foster 40/1
    Wen-Tang 25/1
    Jacquelin 33/1

;)
    i'll be honest,backed Tiger at 5/4,that's the only bet i did,i'm goin to pick one out just for the craic as i got rid of my credit cards due to poker affliction the wife wasn't keen on,give me a few mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

I did Baddeley without tiger 33/1 me thinks its a good bet but hope 1 of us win

• Advertisement

Placed 3 further bets at the half-way stage all €10 in the Hong Kong event.

Foster 40/1
    Wen-Tang 25/1
    Jacquelin 33/1

;)

Jacquelin is good value ok,
    The way he's swinging i'd have to say Schwatzhel is my number 1 pick but Dyson at 33/1 will do me just fine,his irons have been a bit off but as those greens get worse as the week goes on and the fact that he's drivin the ball so well his knowledge of these grainy greens should come to the fore

Fowler finished round 1 on -6, carding 7 birdies (5 of them in the final 6 holes). Fantastic start and is the current leader in the clubhouse.

Looks promising for the weekend :)

not now ,3 over second round,pity after such a good start,
    He's a typical example of someone i wouldn't mind backing and laying on bf as i was saying previously,that for me is the only way to make money consistantly on golf
    There are plenty of players who seem to start well but will never win,i perfect example is Jeff Overton,one of my friends is a pro gambler,backed Overton last year at close to 250/1 and layed him at odds as low as 2/1,i don't think he will ever win a touney

not now ,3 over second round,pity after such a good start,
    He's a typical example of someone i wouldn't mind backing and laying on bf as i was saying previously,that for me is the only way to make money consistantly on golf
    There are plenty of players who seem to start well but will never win,i perfect example is Jeff Overton,one of my friends is a pro gambler,backed Overton last year at close to 250/1 and layed him at odds as low as 2/1,i don't think he will ever win a touney

I don't need to be told what score my player shot, especially when it's a disappointing one.

Poor etiquette on your behalf not to mention your after-timing.

Last post on this thread.

Here's most of the results from me this year including my previous account.

Barclays:
    Dustin Johnson 90/1 - T15
    Webb Simpson 200/1 - 8th (T3 going into final round) (2 shot lead after round 2)
    Hunter Mahan T20

USPGA:
    Luke Donald 140/1
    Padraig Harrington 25/1 - T10
    Retief Goosen 50/1
    JB Homles 240/1
    YE Yang 310/1 (also backed at 175/1) - Won (€4800 profit)

Bridgestone Invitational:
    Lee Westwood 33/1 - 9th
    Luke Donald 50/1
    Kenny Perry 50/1 - T11
    Martin Kaymer 66/1

Moravia Silesia Open:
    Graeme Storm 25/1 - T4 (joint leader after round 2)

Travelers Championship:
    Brad Adamonis 200/1
    Kenny Perry 20/1 - Won (shot 61 on round 1 and closed with a 63)
    Justin Rose 66/1

US Open:
    Steve Stricker 40/1 - T23
    Vijay Singh 50/1 - T27
    Ryan Moore 250/1 - T10
    Stuart Appleby 150/1

European Open:
    Ross Fisher 12/1
    Graeme McDowell 33/1
    J Milka Singh 66/1 - T5 (joint leader by 3 shots going into final round - shot 76)
    P Hanson 70/1

US Masters:
    Geoff Ogilvy - T15
    Nick Watney 55/1 - 19th
    Soren Kjeldsen 380/1
    Matthew Goggin 400/1
    DJ Trahan 450/1 - 45th

The Open:
    Matthew Goggin 400/1 - T5 (joint leader with 7 holes to play)

BMW Championship:
    Sergio Garcia 40/1 - T6
    Dustin Johnson 40/1 - T30

Tour Championship:
    Padraig Harrington 14/1

Turning Stone:
    Charlie Hoffman 60/1
    Michael Sim 50/1
    John Senden 28/1 - T5
    Dustin Johnson 20/1 - T29

Alfred Dunhill Links Championship:
    Lee Westwood 15/1 - T9
    Mikko Ilonen 250/1 - T26
    Peter Hedblom 100/1
    Lee Slattery 200/1

Madrid Masters:
    Anthony Wall 60/1 - T7
    Thongchai Jaidee 50/1 - T23
    Bradley Dredge 50/1
    (Previous weeks selection Ilonen came 2nd)

World Match-Play:
    Oliver Wilson 25/1
    Ross Fisher 14/1 - Won

WGC-HSBC Champions:
    Sean O'Hair 40/1
    Nathan Green 200/1
    Nick Watney 80/1 - 5th
    Pat Perez 125/1 - T10

Overall it's been a fantastic year and showed great profit (courtest of YE Yang). Had plenty of selections knocking on the door.

Looking forward to '10 season and might possibly start up a new thread for that. See how it goes.

I think the best player overall this year has been Rory McIlroy. He's been consistent and came close to winning on several occasions. He's one player you'd watch all day and he is learning every day so you'd expect him to have an extraordinary 2010, definitely one to keep on the right side of.

I'll post up 10 to follow for 2010 when I get a chance.

Thanks for the comments and best of luck if you have a selection in the next few weeks

:cool:

sry to hear your not posting any more I looked forward to reading your analysis and views plus the pointing in the right direction,

be luck in all your bets in the future

fintonie wrote: »
    sry to hear your not posting any more I looked forward to reading your analysis and views plus the pointing in the right direction,

be luck in all your bets in the future

Not posting for the remainder of this year.

Be back in '10 for the start of the PGA Tour m:)ybe

I don't need to be told what score my player shot, especially when it's a disappointing one.

Poor etiquette on your behalf not to mention your after-timing.

your well out of line there,aftertiming?i thought this is where someone puts a bet up who's already winning or goin well,please explain
    don't worry i won't be posting on this thread again,i was in no way being smart btw,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭markhiggins

pity to see you going! im an avid golf watcher but dont have the patience to wait for the winner to come from betting on it! i really enjoyed your write ups each week and always kept an eye on your selections. hopefully we will see you back in the new year and ill have got my act together and start backing some of your selections!! cheers

i was in no way being smart btw,

Fair enough.

I apologise for being in the wrong.

pity to see you going! im an avid golf watcher but dont have the patience to wait for the winner to come from betting on it! i really enjoyed your write ups each week and always kept an eye on your selections. hopefully we will see you back in the new year and ill have got my act together and start backing some of your selections!! cheers

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

I apologise for being in the wrong.

thanks for reply

Final bet of the year (can't help myself :D)

To be perfectly honest the more I have looked at it the more I am convinced that Martin Kaymer will win this week.

Two-years ago in Abu Dhabi he made an very good field look extremely ordinary, shooting -15 and winning by 4 shots (from Stenson & Westwood) and that's with a final round of 74.

He returned to Abi Dhabi at the beginning of this year to defend his title against an elite field and he failed just short shooting -21, 1 shot behind the winner Paul Casey.

Two-weeks later in the Dubai Desert Classic which hosted another elite field he finished T4 3 shots behind the winner Rory McIlroy.

The previous year in the same event he finished 2nd, 1 shot behind Tiger Woods.

Kaymer clearly thrives in the United Arab Emirates and as players confront the Earth course for the first time this week they will be no one feeling more comfortable than Mr Kaymer.

The climate clearly suits him, the middle of the desert, after all, his game benefited greatly from spending a lot of time playing in Arizona.

For those of you unaware, Kaymer lost his mother last year, since then winning back-to-back tournaments Scottish Open and Loch Lomond. He then finished 6th in the USPGA - then his dreaded foot injury which sidelined him for a while. He bounced back with a 2nd place in Castello Masters in Spain in October and more recently finishing T6 in the HSBC Champions event.

He goes into the event knowing a win will secure him number 1 spot in European Golf, €830,000 for 1st place plus $1.5 million for 1st place in the Race to Dubai.

Martin Kaymer 14/1 (paddy power) €40 win :cool:

best of luck with whoever you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gailf

Kaymer does have an incredible record in that part of the world alright. If he has fully recovered from the injury, he'll contend.

I think your views are spot on and probably one of the better bets of the year, I will be doing the same as you 40 win,

I norm do ew but this is one for the nose for me cheers, I hope your squids in when this one is finished:)

Final bet of the year (can't help myself :D)

To be perfectly honest the more I have looked at it the more I am convinced that Martin Kaymer will win this week.

Two-years ago in Abu Dhabi he made an very good field look extremely ordinary, shooting -15 and winning by 4 shots (from Stenson & Westwood) and that's with a final round of 74.

He returned to Abi Dhabi at the beginning of this year to defend his title against an elite field and he failed just short shooting -21, 1 shot behind the winner Paul Casey.

Two-weeks later in the Dubai Desert Classic which hosted another elite field he finished T4 3 shots behind the winner Rory McIlroy.

The previous year in the same event he finished 2nd, 1 shot behind Tiger Woods.

Kaymer clearly thrives in the United Arab Emirates and as players confront the Earth course for the first time this week they will be no one feeling more comfortable than Mr Kaymer.

The climate clearly suits him, the middle of the desert, after all, his game benefited greatly from spending a lot of time playing in Arizona.

For those of you unaware, Kaymer lost his mother last year, since then winning back-to-back tournaments Scottish Open and Loch Lomond. He then finished 6th in the USPGA - then his dreaded foot injury which sidelined him for a while. He bounced back with a 2nd place in Castello Masters in Spain in October and more recently finishing T6 in the HSBC Champions event.

He goes into the event knowing a win will secure him number 1 spot in European Golf, €830,000 for 1st place plus $1.5 million for 1st place in the Race to Dubai.

Martin Kaymer 14/1 (paddy power) €40 win :cool:

best of luck with whoever you choose.

Disappointing opening round score of -1 for Kaymer, I say disappointing because he shaved the hole on numerous occasion for a birdie. So with a bit of better fortune his score would be ideally be around the -5/-6 score.

Anyhow hopefully the ball will find the hole quicker in his second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

i backed kaymer also before even looking at this
    i was convinced he would go close also
    hope he'll do better later
    did molinari ew also
    best of luck

Another disappointing round from Kaymer after he made bogey on each of the final two holes when -3 for the round.

At the half-way point he is -2. It's always my belief that anyone within 9 shots of the lead at the half-way stage is in with a shot, although there is a lot of world-class players between him and first place. Serious task ahead of himself but all is not lost yet.

Kaymer level par for his 3rd round.

Very disappointing giving his record around Dubai and his current form.

:(

Hope someone makes a few bob with their selections.

See you '10 ;)

Two decent prices this week on the golf, Nathan Green in Australia at 8/1 but opted against it and placed €30 on Spain (Garcia/Castano) to win the World Cup of Golf - no real reason other than the price . 9/1 is a fair enough price and having the bet purely for entertainment purposes.

Anyone else having a wager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Two decent prices this week on the golf, Nathan Green in Australia at 8/1 but opted against it and placed €30 on Spain (Garcia/Castano) to win the World Cup of Golf - no real reason other than the price . 9/1 is a fair enough price and having the bet purely for entertainment purposes.

Anyone else having a wager?

I agree
    9/1 spain looks decent value
    I wouldnt touch sweden at 7s with karlsson on board
    China are 7/4 to beat sweden and If i can find something
    to double it with then ill probably do so also...probably
    spain at 8/11 to beat india
    9/2 england looks skinny and im not a fan of poulter and
    would never put my money down on him
    9/2 ireland might be alright but having backed mc dowell
    before the final round of the tournament poulter won a few
    weeks back where poulter practically tried to give it away