Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In_tuition's weekly golf selection

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

David Dixon should come under serious consideration if you intend on having a bet in this.

approx 66/1 is decent odds.

In his last event (Hong Kong Open) he tied 9th. His driving accuracy was over %80 - his driving distance was 6th best at 294 (yards) and he was 3rd in putts per greens-in-regulation.

In this event last year he tied for 16th, 6 shots behind the winner, shooting 3 rounds in the 70's, giving his recent stat with the putter it's likely he will improve those 70's into mid 60's and in turn that will win him the championship. The previous year he tied for 6th.

David Dixon 66/1 (boylesports) €15 win.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

you making money on these bets in tuition?

you making money on these bets in tuition?

Results for the year are on bottom on page 7 mate.

I made excellent profit this year courtesy of the YE Yang bet, I also had Cabrero-Bello at 100/1 when he won but it was deemed as after-timing (and rightly so) as I didn't post it up. That was when I set up this account, I previously posted as Famous45.

I've hit the woodwork on few occasions with big-priced selections - as said overall it's been a good year, off the top of my head I think I selected 5-6 winners and many others who were in contention on the final day.

That's all you can ask for, with a bit of luck I'll continue posting throughout 2010.

Feel free to add your thoughts.

Dixon -6 at the halfway point. Leader on -13.

Dixon made bogey on 2 par 5's in the last 4 holes to tarnish what was turning out to be a very good round.

Nevertheless anyone within 9 shots of a lead at the halfway stage has a shot at victory.

Fingers crossed he can get himself within 3-4 shots of the lead after round 3.

6 to note for 2010:

Nick Watney: Four top 10 finishes in 09 season including 1st place at the Buick Invitational. Has moved from 204th to 32nd in the world rankings. Spends his entire off-season and spare time practising his putting, it's his achilles heel but he has improved dramtically in recent months in that sphere (3rd for putts per greens-in-regulation at HSBC Champions event) and no reason why it won't improve further thoughout the '10 season. Shot a 63 in round 3 last weekend at the Nedbank Challenge, beaten the other best score by 3 shots (matches the lowest score ever shot there).

Afterwards he said 'I definitely drove the ball very well, but the key was the putter, said Watney. I made a 20-footer, a 30-footer and most of the ones in close, so the putter was definitely the key'

Tournaments to watch out for:

The Masters (April)
    Zurich Classic of New Orleans (April)
    Traveler's Championship (June)

Dustin Johnson: Anyone who follows the thread will be aware of how much I like Dustin. He is a fantastic talent and he will doing nothing but improve in the coming seasons. I think he will perform well this year but he's a serious candidate for major honours in the coming 3-4 seasons if he can improve his accuracy. There is no one on the PGA Tour who can out-drive him and nobody better at racking up birdie after birdie.

5 top 10 finishes in 2009 including victory in the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am.

Northern Trust Open (Feb)
    HP Byron Nelson Championship (May)

Rickie Fowler: Secured 2010 Tour Card via Q-School last weekend. Tied 2nd in Frys.Com open recently having been beaten in a 3-way play-off. In back-to-back tournaments in October he carded 38 birdies in 2 tournaments. In his recent visit to Q-School during one of his rounds he was -10 thru 13 holes. This kid (at 20-yrs-old) can play sensational golf at times. Expect an explosive start to 2010 from him, he is fearless, exceptional putter and long from the tee. He has the attributes to compete on a level that Tiger did when he was his age. If you doubt me just sit back and admire - he is going to be awesome on the PGA Tour.

Anywhere he turns up :)

Webb Simpson: Once again anyone following me will be aware that I mention this man on a weekly basis. Four top 10 finishes in his rookie season in 09 and challenge at the top of the leaderboard on the final day of a few tournaments.

Webb is a fabulous putter. He fell by the wayside halfway thru the year but bounced back towards the end with some eye-catching performances. Expect him to bounce out of the traps early on in the campaign, hopefully the added experience of last year will help him gain his first victory on tour. Personally I believe that moment is not too far away. He has the potential to be one of the real dark horses this year on tour and here's hoping he can emulate what Dustin Johnson achieved on his second year on tour this year.

Sony Open (January)

Will add the other 2 during the weekend.

Feel free to add your own thoughts on the year ahead.

• Advertisement

In_tuition wrote: »
    Dixon -6 at the halfway point. Leader on -13.

Dixon made bogey on 2 par 5's in the last 4 holes to tarnish what was turning out to be a very good round.

Nevertheless anyone within 9 shots of a lead at the halfway stage has a shot at victory.

Fingers crossed he can get himself within 3-4 shots of the lead after round 3.

+7 in his 3rd round :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

if you fancy Dustin it might be worth throwing a few quid on him for the us open next year as he won there last year(pb)all be it by default,hits the ball a mile,he could be in with an outside shout for a ryder cup pick,
    Have you looked at the majors for next year yet

Was going to back Rory for the masters but 14/1 bit skinny me think,how bout you?

heavyballs wrote: »
    if you fancy Dustin it might be worth throwing a few quid on him for the us open next year as he won there last year(pb)all be it by default,hits the ball a mile,he could be in with an outside shout for a ryder cup pick,
    Have you looked at the majors for next year yet

Was going to back Rory for the masters but 14/1 bit skinny me think,how bout you?

I ain't looked at them in full detail as of yet.

I really fancy Nick Watney for The Masters. Last year (2008) he tied 11th. He was tied 2nd for greens hit and 3rd in driving distance. Giving those fine stats he only managed 42nd in putts made.

This year he was 19th. He was tied 1st for greens hit and 5th in driving distance but once again finished 47th in putts made. He is improving in that department and if he can hit similar stats again and he continues to impress with the putter (as he has in his last few events), he will be a major contender in the event. Current odds is 50/1 going to haggle with the local office to try and grab 80/1 before the season kicks off.

Really expecting him to get off to a flyer in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

I fancy Brian Gay, will be interesting to see the Odds, T5 last year, will have a good year I think. Should be a good e/w value bet.

Sorry tiptap, removed my post.

Won't be posting anymore.

Very best of luck with your selection and to everyone else in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

why?

all you said is Brian Gay was gonna be 25-28/1, in your opinion, and gave his placing in last years tournament.

Sorry tiptap, removed my post.

Won't be posting anymore.

Very best of luck with your selection and to everyone else in the future.

why are you apologising ? I didn't get to see your last post.
    you should keep on posting, myself, alongside a good few others, enjoy the insights....keep it up

The reason I decided for not posting was an issue on another section on boards. I think it's since been sorted so hopefully I can continue to post.

tiptap wrote: »
    why are you apologising ? I didn't get to see your last post.
    you should keep on posting, myself, alongside a good few others, enjoy the insights....keep it up

I apologised for deleting my post about the SBS as your post then looked out of place.

28 players taking part this week in Maui, Hawaii

One of the most eye-catching courses on the PGA Tour.

Only winners from 2009 PGA Tour, major winners are invited to play.

Entrants are as follows:

Stewart Cink
    Lucas Glover
    Y. E. Yang
    Angel Cabrera

Nick Watney
    Brian Gay
    Kenny Perry
    Retief Goosen

Dustin Johnson
    Jerry Kelly
    Geoff Ogilvy
    Paul Casey

Stephen Ames
    Troy Matteson
    Rory Sabbatini
    Sean O'Hair

Zach Johnson
    Steve Stricker
    Heath Slocum
    Mark Wilson

Matt Kuchar
    John Rollins
    Michael Bradley
    Nathan Green

Martin Laird
    Ryan Moore
    Pat Perez
    Bo Van Pelt

The defending champion is Geoff Ogilvy, in 2009 he went wire-to-wire shooting -24 to win by 6 shots.

Three players have 2 top 10 finishes to their name at the course, Goosen played the event 4 times, his last appearance came in 05, he has 2 top 10 finishes (03 & 04). Cink has also made 4 appearances here, his best finish coming in 2005 where he tied for 5th. Kenny Perry (7-time-starter, 4 times on this course) (1st appearance in the event in 1992) has recorded 2 top 10 spots here, 3rd in 2002 and most recent he was T-6 in 2009.

Watney tied for 5th on this sole start here in 2008.

Players highlighed in green are having their first competitive start at the Kapalua Resort Plantation Course.

Jerry Kelly (T-10) finished -20 on his sole start here in 2003.

Steve Stricker made his first appearance in the event in 1997, his most recent visit (2008) he finished 2nd after losing in a play-off, his best finish and only other start on the course prior to that was 25th in 2002.

Zach Johnson is no stranger to victory in Hawaii, he will defend the Sony Open in the coming weeks.

It goes without saying - there is no cut.

SBS stands for Seoul Broadcasting System

Will update the thread (including my selection) with more info over the coming days.

Selections and thoughts most welcome

Latest betting odds here

At the moment Dustin Johnson stands out at 25/1, he'll most likely be one of my selections along with Nick Watney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

cheers sir thank you for that, I look forward to your update.

I see Brian Gay at 40/1 .. think I'll go with my gut and put an e/w on him.
    Good value on such a small field me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

+1 on continuing to post

This event kicks off on Sky Sports 1 on Thursday @ 8pm

Long hitters will have an added advantage this week as the course plays near 7500 yards.

My two selections are two of the longest hitters in world golf. Dustin Johnson is consistently the longest driver on the PGA Tour, he wouldn't be the most consistent on accuracy but that aspect is not essential this week as the fairways at the Plantation Course are very generous - he is also a fantastic putter and with Nick Watney improving daily in that sphere this is where my money will lay for this event.

Dustin Johnson was 4th in driving distance on his sole start here last season. He carded -9 on the par 5's and -6 on the par 4's. Decent statistics and if there is a player on tour capable of a birdie streak it's Dustin.

I recently predicted major success for Nick Watney in 2010 in my weekly selections thread, along with that I said that I expected him to start the year how he left 2009, that being in sizzling form - since the end of August at the Barclays he T-15, in the Deutsche Bank he tied 4th, he had decent averages throughout the rest of the Fed Ex Cup play-offs where he eventually finished 12th.

He then made his way to the HSBC Champions event where I put him up as my selection pre-tournament at 80/1. He was leader after round 1 shooting 64, he was joint leader with Tiger Woods after round 2, he started the final round in a tie for 2nd, 2 shots behind the leader Phil Mickelson. He was unable to make inroads on the leaders after being right in contention with 6 holes to go, he finally finished 5th, 4 shots behind the winner Mickelson.

Watney was 4th in driving distance in that event - and eye-catchingly he was 3rd for putts per green in regulation.

He didn't stop there, he played the Nedbank Golf Challenge, where he finished 5 shots behind Stenson & Allenby, he shot 3 rounds of 73 but most impressively he shot 63 in round 3 to put him into contention on the final day, beating the next best score for a round by 3 shots.

As stated in my weekly thread Watney spends every ounce of his time practising his putting technique. Expect him to sink some sensational putts this weekend on his way to victory cool.gif

Watney tied 5th here in his sole start in 2008.

Nick Watney 18/1 - €10 win (boylesports)
    Dustin Johnson 20/1 - €10 win (25's on Ladbrokes now gone, only 16's there so unfair to quote him at 25's) (boylesports)

As always, all the best to anyone else who has a selection in the event cool.gif

Thoughts and selections welcomed

Having 2 further bets this week

Darren Fichardt - tied 2nd in this event last year, played the south african open champs couple of weeks ago and tied 6th after opening rounds of 73 & 71, only lost out by 3 shots. Prior to that he had a top 25 in the Alfred Dunhill following a poor final round.
    €10 win 20/1 (boylesports)

Darren Clarke - tied 2nd in this event last year, recently tied 11th in Hong Kong Open. T-3 in this event in 2008 season (not on this course), 4th at the Joburg Open in South Africa in the 2008 season, losing out by 2 shots, clearly likes this part of the world and with exceptional course form you'd expect Clarke to be leading the challenge in the final round.
    €25 win 16/1 (boylesports)

All the best to anyone else having a selection in this event :cool:

• Advertisement

Fantasy Golf available here for anyone interested.

Having 2 further bets this week

Darren Fichardt - tied 2nd in this event last year, played the south african open champs couple of weeks ago and tied 6th after opening rounds of 73 & 71, only lost out by 3 shots. Prior to that he had a top 25 in the Alfred Dunhill following a poor final round.
    €10 win 20/1 (boylesports)

Darren Clarke - tied 2nd in this event last year, recently tied 11th in Hong Kong Open. T-3 in this event in 2008 season (not on this course), 4th at the Joburg Open in South Africa in the 2008 season, losing out by 2 shots, clearly likes this part of the world and with exceptional course form you'd expect Clarke to be leading the challenge in the final round.
    €25 win 16/1 (boylesports)

All the best to anyone else having a selection in this event :cool:

Leaders on -7 after round 1

Darren Clarke finished -4, he recorded 5 birdies on his back 9 but sadly misplayed his 2nd shot into 18 and took a bogey.

Darren Fichardt finished -3, he scored -5 on the par 5's (2 eagles), card included a double-bogey.

Nick Watney 18/1 - €10 win (boylesports)
    Dustin Johnson 20/1 - €10 win (25's on Ladbrokes now gone, only 16's there so unfair to quote him at 25's) (boylesports)

Watney & D Johnson both posted -6 for their round today :), 1 shot behind the current leader

Leaders on -7 after round 1

Darren Clarke finished -4, he recorded 5 birdies on his back 9 but sadly misplayed his 2nd shot into 18 and took a bogey.

Darren Fichardt finished -3, he scored -5 on the par 5's (2 eagles), card included a double-bogey.

Leader now on -14.

Clarke finished round 2 on -7.

Surprisingly Fichardt missed the cut after carding a double bogey on the back nine when in contention to make the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

I had €10 E/W on Sean O'Hair yesterday @ 12/1
    and...
    Another €10 E/W bet on Pat Perez @ 33/1 in the SBS Championship

Clemon wrote: »
    I had €10 E/W on Sean O'Hair yesterday @ 12/1
    and...
    Another €10 E/W bet on Pat Perez @ 33/1 in the SBS Championship

Best of luck with your bets mate.

You too.. think paddy power payin out on 4 places

The Sony Open will be the first full-field event of the 2010 PGA Tour season. It will be held at the Waialae Country Club on the beautiful island of Oahu.

The course will play a little over 7050 yards.

144 players will tee-up on Thursday, some of those include:

Ernie Els Retief Goosen Dustin Johnson Marc Leishman
    Tim Clark Charles Howell III Davis Love III Y.E. Yang
    Vijay Singh Zach Johnson Steve Stricker K.J. Choi

Paul Goydos Rickie Foweler Tom Lehman Luke Donald
    Jerry Kelly Billy Horschel Justin Leonard Lucas Glover
    David Toms Woody Austin Bo Van Pelt John Huston

John Daly Stephen Ames Stewart Cink Chad Campbell
    Sean O'Hair Angel Cabrera Boo Weekley Rory Sabbatini
    Justin Rose Brad Faxon Robert Allenby Stuart Appleby

Players in blue are past winners here. Ernie Els was a back-to-back winner in 2003 & 2004.

This event started in 1965 and has been played as the Hawaiian Open till Sony took over in 1999.

23 players will play the event for the first time this week, they include recent Q-School graduates Rickie Fowler, Cameron Triangle & Billy Horschel.

Defending champion, Zach Johnson, hardly set Oahu alight in previous attempts before being crowned champion last year, his best record prior to that was T-32, he also failed to make the cut on his first competitive start on the course.

David Toms made his first appearance in the tournament in 1992, in his 8 starts here he has only failed to make the cut once (2nd start). He is a past winner (2006, -19), prior to that victory he has knocked on the door, T-4 (2002) & T-13 (2005).

Since Toms' success in the 2006 event, he tied 13th in his defence of the title and most recent he finished T-2 in last year's tournament.

Charles Howell III has played this event for the past 8 seasons, during that time he has recorded 4 top-10 finishes, his most recent being last year where he finished 4th (three shots behind the winner).

Shigeki Maruyama has played this event 11 years straight. He has 6 top 25 finishes to his name. His best recorded score though is only -10 (only good enough to win 2 Sony Open's since 1971).

Steve Stricker made his first start here in 1994, since then he's made 9 appearance, his best finish coming in 1996 where he came 3rd. In his last 3 attempts here he has finished T-24, T-4 & T-4.

Since it's inception as the Sony Open in 1991, John Huston has returned each year to play, in total he has played this event for 21 years straight.

Perhaps a player to keep a close eye on this week is Rory Sabbatini, he has played second fiddle here twice in (2008 & 2006). A decent finish of T-12 last time round combined with a decent effort in Maui this week he could be threatening the top of the leaderboard come Sunday.

Tom Lehman has 7 top 10 finishes out of 16 visits to the Sony Open.

Past winer Jerry Kelly (2002) has recorded some fine efforts in Oahu in recent years, his past 4 finishes read T-23, 3rd, T-13 & T-13. Another to keep a watchful eye on.

Davis Love III has 5 top ten finishes to his name around this course, but failed to make the cut here last term.

Sean O'Hair has made 4 starts here, his best finish coming last season, T-12, before that he only managed T-50, CUT, T-72.

Retief Goosen has not played this event since 2005, his best finish (of 3) came in 2004 where he T-10.

I will update the thread with more information plus my selections in the coming days.

Please feel free to add your thoughts and selections cool.gif

Leader now on -14.

Clarke finished round 2 on -7.

Surprisingly Fichardt missed the cut after carding a double bogey on the back nine when in contention to make the cut.

T-28 in the end for Clarke.

Damage was done in round 3, while only 4 shots off the lead he made triple-bogey on his final hole.

Total amount layed out on the thread is now €306 (would be higher but profit is taken into consideration).

So basically I am down €306 on this thread.

• Advertisement

Got my stake back with the sean o'hair bet
    Perez bet didnt come through.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement