Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In_tuition's weekly golf selection

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

what a round by sabitini, STUNNING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

tiptap wrote: »
    what a round by sabitini, STUNNING

Yeah stunningly sickening for me! :D

I gave him a special mention in my Sony Open preview above and expected pretty decent odds on him :mad:

In_tuition wrote: »
    Watney & D Johnson both posted -6 for their round today :), 1 shot behind the current leader

Both players finish the event on -13.

Nick Watney will be disappointed with his putting. But he's not one to rule out just yet.

Johnson was T-3 for birdies made, 1st in driving distance and 3rd in putts per gir. His accuracy is continuing to halt his progress. Hopefully he can resolve his real only issue sooner rather than later.

€20 loss on the event isn't too bad, Watney traded at 8's after day 1.

It's been on my mind for a few weeks that I may begin to start back to lay (if that's the right phrase) on the golf. I don't have much experience of laying other than football but I do have decent enough knowledge of it so I might give it a trial period over the next couple of months so stay tuned :)

My early advice is to get on Marc Leishman at 100/1 with Ladbrokes. I've just had some of it some the price might not be available for much longer.

Too big of a price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Im thinking Goosen e/w... thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

My early advice is to get on Marc Leishman at 100/1 with Ladbrokes. I've just had some of it some the price might not be available for much longer.

Too big of a price.
    119/1 with betfair.

Im thinking Goosen e/w... thoughts?

3 starts here, first back in 2003 where he T-20 (-7), returning the following year to post his best finish, T-10 (-10), came back the year after (2005) and finished T-56 (+3).

Hasn't played here since. Decided to return to the belly putter for the first few events on his season this term but he hasn't been out of place, he was 2nd in the SBS for putts per greens-in-regulation and 4th in putts per round and T-5 in birdies made.

He returned to the SBS this week after missing out for the past 4 years (previously had a decent record at the course) and it showed by a steady finish of -17 and 3 final rounds in the 60's.

Is that good enough? Perhaps, if you read my preview I said that last years winner Zach Johnson didn't set Oahu alight in previous attempts. Goosen's isn't all that bad plus he made quite a few birdies this week and his putts per round stat could definitely see him near the top of the leaderboard next weekend.

Hope this helps.

thedini wrote: »
    119/1 with betfair.

Thanks.

When I begin to bet on betfair once again, I will quote their prices.

If someone decides to follow my selection they'll be fully aware of where they can obtain the best price.

But recently for me I've decided to stick with the firms for my golf selections, purely a personal preference, so whatever price I place a bet on I will post it up here :cool:

Thanks for informing others, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

In the paddypower sale enhanced odds today they had Harrington at 5/1
    to win a major in 2010.

do u think that was a good bet?

This was Leishman's first competitive event on the PGA Tour (2009). He finished T-12 and although he produced a great account of himself, perhaps nerves overcame him as his putting was weak(still made 15 birdies).

He recorded 8 top 25 finishes (3 top 10) for the remainder of his year, including a T-2 at the BMW Champhionship - 3rd leg of the Fed-Ex Cup play-off's), albeit 8 shots behind the winner Tiger Woods, but 5 shots clear of Sergio Garcia & Padraig Harrington and the rest of a top-class international field. He was T-10 in putts for this event and carded 17 birdies.This is only 4 months ago.

He didn't perform too well in his next 3 events but for a young man 28 events in your rookie year has to take it's toll.

Given his good start to his PGA career in this event last season, and those 8 top 25 finishes, I'm selecting him as my main bet this week. I don't doubt he has improve more over his off-season and hopefully he can get off to another flying this time round.

Marc Leishman 100/1 (Ladbrokes) €20 win

1 more selection to follow in the coming days.

• Advertisement

robbie1977 wrote: »
    In the paddypower sale enhanced odds today they had Harrington at 5/1
    to win a major in 2010.

do u think that was a good bet?

Well he won't win the US Open.

The last time the PGA Championship visited Whistling Straits he finished +1 (T-45)(78 on his final round - although most of the field shot over par in the final round). I think this is his best chance of winning this year, it's a links type course, very undulating greens and can be very windy.

I wouldn't be taking short prices on a golfer at this stage of the year. If I where you I would put by €5 a week from now till the PGA and place the lot on an outright win on Harrington.

My second main selection this week in the above event is Luke Donald.

Winless on the PGA Tour since 2006, but recaptured his fine form last season following injury by carding 6 top 10 finishes on the PGA Tour including T-2 at Harbour Town in the Verizon Heritage (although 10 shots behind the winner) and T-5 at The Open. T-10 in the BMW Championship (Fed-Ex Cup play-off's) and a few weeks later securing a further 2 top 10 finishes on the European Tour.

He has played the Sony Open 6 out of the last 8 seasons. On his first attempt he T-13, he followed that up the following year with a missed but, but since then has carded 4 top 25 finishes, he best result being in 2007 where he T-2 on -13.

In this event last season he T-3 for putts per round and carded 19 birdies overall, 11 bogeys made sure he taking home the title. In 2007 in only made 6 bogeys (falling short of the winner by 1 single shot).

He finished 4th for putts per round, 3rd for putts between 10'-15', 3rd in approaches from 50-125 yards and 1st in sand saves (78 sand bunkers here) on the PGA Tour in 2009.

I think Donald's form and stats speak for themselves and I fully believe I've selected a little beauty in him this week and I think it's matter of time before we see him crowned a champion again.

Luke Donald 50/1 (boylesports) €25 win

As always all the best to everyone else having a bet this week cool.gif

Please feel to add your thoughts and selections.

Too big of a price.

66/1 now with Ladbrokes, hope some of you nabbed the 100's.

Latest betting here

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Great stuff in tuition, i enjoy reading your previews and put a few euro each way on Leishman think he has a good chance

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Great stuff in tuition, i enjoy reading your previews and put a few euro each way on Leishman think he has a good chance

Thanks Scoobydooo, appreciate the comments mate :)

All the best with the bet

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Arazi1

Thanks Scoobydooo, appreciate the comments mate :)

All the best with the bet
    My second main selection this week in the above event is Luke Donald.

Winless on the PGA Tour since 2006, but recaptured his fine form last season following injury by carding 6 top 10 finishes on the PGA Tour including T-2 at Harbour Town in the Verizon Heritage (although 10 shots behind the winner) and T-5 at The Open. T-10 in the BMW Championship (Fed-Ex Cup play-off's) and a few weeks later securing a further 2 top 10 finishes on the European Tour.

He has played the Sony Open 6 out of the last 8 seasons. On his first attempt he T-13, he followed that up the following year with a missed but, but since then has carded 4 top 25 finishes, he best result being in 2007 where he T-2 on -13.

In this event last season he T-3 for putts per round and carded 19 birdies overall, 11 bogeys made sure he taking home the title. In 2007 in only made 6 bogeys (falling short of the winner by 1 single shot).

He finished 4th for putts per round, 3rd for putts between 10'-15', 3rd in approaches from 50-125 yards and 1st in sand saves (78 sand bunkers here) on the PGA Tour in 2009.

I think Donald's form and stats speak for themselves and I fully believe I've selected a little beauty in him this week and I think it's matter of time before we see him crowned a champion again.

Luke Donald 50/1 (boylesports) €25 win

As always all the best to everyone else having a bet this week cool.gif

Please feel to add your thoughts and selections.

What Chance do you give to Gay - he won the Horizon last year, and has smart stats off the tee and from bunkers (and there are many) and on the greens. Short hitter by todays standards but this course should suit. proved he liked it last year with 4 solid rounds to finish 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Arazi1 wrote: »
    What Chance do you give to Gay - he won the Horizon last year, and has smart stats off the tee and from bunkers (and there are many) and on the greens. Short hitter by todays standards but this course should suit. proved he liked it last year with 4 solid rounds to finish 5th.

In my opinion I think Gay has a very good chance but I'd like to hear what in tuition thinks aswell, also think steve stricker could be worth a bet he's in good form and has 2 wins from his last 9 PGA tour starts

From a personal point of view he putted well last time round, prior to that he carded -1 and +1 in the 2 previous starts here before last year and in those starts and one before that he made 13 bogeys, 10 bogeys and 10 bogeys in those 3 events.

He made 18 birdies here last year, his best in 10 starts here. He best scorecard is -11, once again coming last year, that score would have only won 2 Sony Open's since 1971 and none in the past 10 years. He needs to improve, a lot, to be major player this time round and giving his past record with bogeys here I think he is a poor bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

This was Leishman's first competitive event on the PGA Tour (2009). He finished T-12 and although he produced a great account of himself, perhaps nerves overcame him as his putting was weak(still made 15 birdies).

He recorded 8 top 25 finishes (3 top 10) for the remainder of his year, including a T-2 at the BMW Champhionship - 3rd leg of the Fed-Ex Cup play-off's), albeit 8 shots behind the winner Tiger Woods, but 5 shots clear of Sergio Garcia & Padraig Harrington and the rest of a top-class international field. He was T-10 in putts for this event and carded 17 birdies.This is only 4 months ago.

He didn't perform too well in his next 3 events but for a young man 28 events in your rookie year has to take it's toll.

Given his good start to his PGA career in this event last season, and those 8 top 25 finishes, I'm selecting him as my main bet this week. I don't doubt he has improve more over his off-season and hopefully he can get off to another flying this time round.

Marc Leishman 100/1 (Ladbrokes) €20 win

1 more selection to follow in the coming days.

threw 2 quid on him, and then 3 on goosen.... cheers for the tip

Couple of extra bets this week for me:

matchbet.jpg

joburgopen.jpg

Just a note to others to show I'm actually betting on these cause some gobsh*te had a few words to say on another site suggesting I don't bet on selections, I can guarantee every one of you I don't waste my time going through my stats every week for a bit of craic :cool:

Here's my Leishman bet, Donald is on a docket.

marcleishman.jpg

My total layout this week is €66 bringing the combined thread total to €372.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

In tuition
    never doubted you,
    I'm on Chad Campbell and Tim Clark,also did 2 seperate e/w doubles with Anders Hansen(only found out now he hasn't practised in weeks,due to snow)

Just a point,not a dig
    Havn't the time to check out stats now but would you not be wary backing against J Leonard on this course as length isn't rewarded which suits him,and he's a decent ball stricker and a great putter in general

in saying that i hope you get it up this weekend...:D

heavyballs wrote: »
    In tuition
    never doubted you,
    I'm on Chad Campbell and Tim Clark,also did 2 seperate e/w doubles with Anders Hansen(only found out now he hasn't practised in weeks,due to snow)

Just a point,not a dig
    Havn't the time to check out stats now but would you not be wary backing against J Leonard on this course as length isn't rewarded which suits him,and he's a decent ball stricker and a great putter in general

in saying that i hope you get it up this weekend...:D

I made a comment about the e/w bet on the other thread, don't take it the wrong way just pointing out my view.

Listen the Kuchar/Leonard is nailed on. Ok Kuchar has played here 7 times, and missed the cut on 5 occasions but he did T-4 once, don't ask me how!

Leonard hasn't played here since 1995, his only appearance, where he missed the cut. At least Kuchar has played the course regularly.

Kuchar played superb last week, missing out by a mere 3 shots. He was T-2 in driving accuracy, 5th in putts per round, T-2 for greens in regulation. For his final scorecard he only carded 1 bogey and 1 double-bogey over the 4 rounds. Remarkable stuff. Add this to the fact Leonard will be rusty on 1st start, expect Kuchar to win this match up cosily.

heavyballs wrote: »
    i hope you get it up this weekend...:D

Thank you very much heavyballs, I appreciate it mate.

Best of luck to you too, hopefully some of us will be biting our nails come Sunday night.

Best of luck to you both.
    I see that marc leisman is 10/3 in his 3 ball today versus charles howell and Imada - be interesting?

What do people think about Stewart Cink to beat angel in the 2 balls today. Angel seemed to be spraying them around a bit on the wide open course last sunday and that could be expensive around this tighter course?

what does everyone think?

Best of luck to you both.
    I see that marc leisman is 10/3 in his 3 ball today versus charles howell and Imada - be interesting?

What do people think about Stewart Cink to beat angel in the 2 balls today. Angel seemed to be spraying them around a bit on the wide open course last sunday and that could be expensive around this tighter course?

what does everyone think?

Thanks, you too.

Only back online now so sorry I didn't get chance to respond.

And to answer your first question, Leishman isn't in a 3-ball with Howell III & Imada :D

correct and right - wrong marc

It was Turnesa (Marc) and not leisman (marc)

Paddy Power in GolfSony Hawaiian Open22:20 1st Round 3 Ball - Howell/Imada/Turnesa14th of Jan 2010 10:20 pm3 BallsMarc Turnesa @ 10/3. that marc didnt collect either!

I made a comment about the e/w bet on the other thread, don't take it the wrong way just pointing out my view.

Listen the Kuchar/Leonard is nailed on. Ok Kuchar has played here 7 times, and missed the cut on 5 occasions but he did T-4 once, don't ask me how!

well they both missed the cut,unlucky,Kuchar has to have the flattest swing on tour,it's muck,
    I take your point re my each way bets but a comment on your match accum(keep in mind i'm not trying to get stuck into ya as i do read and respect your views on golf betting)
    If i really fancied Kuchar in the 2 ball i would do a single bet instead of a four timer(your thoughs)
    As we've discussed before a lot boils down to how the putter behaves on any given day so picking winners out is actually a lot harder than people think
    I personally think the only way to make consistant money on golf is to lay favs from the start(bar Tiger)or back and lay outsiders in running

On a sidenote Chad is nicely placed for me this week,fingers crossed,
    Look at his stats ,he's playing very well after a terrible start

My thoughts for this event:

There will be 5 rounds of golf next weekend (starts Wednesday) with the final round being played at the PGA West (Palmer Course - played twice).

The PGA West (Palmer Course) stretches just short of 7000 yards (6950). The par 4's are long, tough and the course 97 bunkers. Water comes into play on 10 of the 18 holes. It's one of the easiest courses on the PGA Tour.

There's a number of past winners in the field, they include Chad Campbell, Charley Hoffman, Mike Weir, Justin Leonard & last years winner Pat Perez (-33).

The odds of winning the Hope is better than any other full field event because only 128 are in the field, 384 amateurs will accompany them.

Top 70 professionals and ties will play Sunday.

In the 50 years of this event over $50 million has been raised for local charities.

The last 11 winners of the Bob Hope have averaged -15 on the par 5's.

This event features no players within the world's top 30.

Tim Clark has recorded 2 top-10 finishes from 3 starts in this event, he tied 2nd in 2005 and T-5 here last year. Played decent is his first event of the year this week so expect him to challenge.

Ryuji Imada has 2 top-20 finishes to his name here, he finished T-34 (-22) here last year, another who should give a good account of himself in this event.

Jeff Quinney tied 4th here in 2007, shot 3 rounds in the 60's in Hawaii this week, another to keep on the right side of.

Experience usually tells in these kind of events, those with a long track record at the Bob Hope usually contend. Only 1 player (Charley Hoffman 2007) has emerged victorious in his first start in the event since 1986.

Since 1984 the champion has averaged winning on his 7th start in the Bob Hope.

John Senden finished 1st in par 5 scoring on the PGA Tour in 2009 (-142). This will be his 9th start in this event, he has recorded 3 top 10 finishes, T-9 (2009), T-5 (2006) & T-6 (2005).

Senden made 7 top 10 finishes on the PGA Tour in 2009, he's been winless on the Tour since 2006, but has managed three 2nd placed finishes in the past 3 seasons.

Senden finished 2009 1st for greens-in-regulation on the Tour.

I think Senden will be extremely difficult to beat this week.

Will report back in the coming days with my selections and more information.

Please feel free to add your thoughts and selections :cool:

Note: This event will kick off on Sky Sports, Wednesday @ 8pm and will be covered by The Golf Channel.

• Advertisement

one outsider i think could win this year is Kevin Streelman,he makes a lot of birdies but throws in a few birdies most of the time
    He can go low,has been in contention before and impressed me although didn't win
    I might stick a few quid e/w,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement