Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New tyre fitted, vibration through bars, why?

• 17-09-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Got a new tyre fitted to the front wheel of the trike there just recently, and I'm now getting a fair bit of vibration through the handlebars that starts to become noticeable about 60 mph and becomes a lot worse as you head towards 70 or more (sorry officer). Thought it was about the wheel not being balanced, cos the guy who put it on for me (just in time for the MOT!) didn't have a machine that would balance bike wheels ... but when I rang a local bike dealer they told me that a spoked wheel would never be balanced anyway, which I hadn't heard of. Tyre pressure is spot on, and the wheel certainly seems to be dead straight, i.e. not mounted askew.

I'm getting a new wheel in a week or two anyway, but am heading for a weekend trip to Donegal and will be covering close to 400 miles - would be good to know if the dealer was talking through his hoop and the wheel still should be balanced, or if it might be something else. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Go to a bike shop and get your wheel balanced. The tyre itself or the wheel may be slightly unbalanced.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Check for a buckle or dent in the wheel, and yes, (I checked) you can balance spoked wheels and its the most likely cause.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Why would it being spoked make a difference? Could still be differences in the rim / tyre that would make balancing a neccessity I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My old W650 had spoked wheels as did a lot of my other bikes. I got them balanced when changing tyres, so thats BS to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The marauder I had had spoked wheels and they got balanced. Tell yer man to shut up lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

here is the us patent for the tool to put balancing weights on spokes

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/3999275/description.html

cant balance spoked wheels lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Yea it needs to be balanced,assumeing that it has been fitted with the direction/rotation on the tyre going forward,,:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mr chips

Cheers guys, thought it sounded like horse manure but thought it was better to double check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mr chips

Yep, that dealer was full of it - got the tyre balanced on Friday and the problem was totally eradicated - had a great trip this weekend and the only vibration was down to the bumpy roads in West Donegal! Cheers for the advice/reassurance folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

good to hear ya got it sorted chips

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

good stuff

Advertisement