Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland lays its claim to be the Silicon Valley of an emerging wireless world

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Comreg have been talking crap about this since Doyles days in charge , it certainly ain't new , see

I just realised that Byrne wangled himself a jolly to Tokyo in May to deliver this codwallop of a speech.

Bad as Byrne was just wait till you see the 'message' that Ryan sent :(

http://www.irishembassy.jp/uploads/documents/embassy/Tokyo%20EM/S&T/address%20by%20minister%20eamon%20ryan.pdf
    Japan-Ireland Forum on Ubiquitous Innovation
    Tokyo, 27 May 2009
    Message from Mr. Eamon Ryan TD, Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources of Ireland

Good Morning Vice-Minister Terasaki, Ambassador Scannell, Ladies and Gentlemen Minasama Konichiwa

I very much regret I can’t be with you in physical presence. But from 9,500 kilometres away, I’m very glad to be able to make this connection with you and to continue the connections we’ve had, particularly over the last year.

I know my own visit to Japan last year where I met with Minister Masuda was very productive and the visit of our Taoiseach, Brian Cowen was also hugely successful. We very much appreciated the hospitality and the cooperation that was shown.

I think the area of ubiquitous networks is where we have huge potential to be gained from cooperation. As Minister with responsibility for Communications and Energy, I particularly want to reflect on the progress we’re continuing to make in how those two policy areas are coming together.

In the development of a ubiquitous IT network, we have huge potential to meet our climate change objectives; our common objectives.

We have the ability to get real energy efficiency in the development of ICT. I’d like to give some examples of where we have made progress, since we met last year. There is a whole development of a smart network, a smart grid of electricity production which is being delivered. We are putting smart meters into our homes and we have a very sophisticated distribution network.

I think that development can deliver various things –we can see how the “internet of things” will allow us to deliver real efficiency in the provision of services and use of energy. Coming out of that network, is the development of an electric vehicles fleet in this country. I was very pleased last month to sign a Memorandum of Understanding
    between Nissan-Renault, our Government and our main electricity supplier, to deliver electric vehicles in this country on the back of that smart electricity network. It will require real strength of our ubiquitous communications network. A lot of the management of that service is actually about the data connections, the communications systems that allow it to work.

Another example of where we’re doing a lot of work is in the use of energy efficient technology in data centres, in the delivery of cloud computing. I think there are huge synergies [between both our countries in that area]. With your companies which are hugely skilled in that area, I think we can marry the expertise of the companies based
    in this country which are doing leading research, to see how we get real efficiency in ICT, in energy use and also in communications technologies themselves.

We’re also working and leading research in this country in the development of new fibre optic technology, new laser technology, which provides us with a multiple increase in efficiency in these data communications networks.

That is a space where we as a country want to concentrate. Being energy efficient in ICT allows you provide ubiquitous coverage, it allows you develop real increased efficiencies and there are real economic opportunities to be had. I think we can work
    continually in cooperation in that area and in other fields.

I hope your meeting today is very successful. I hope our cooperation in the Forum leads to benefits for both counties and to companies within each country and I look forward to continuing close cooperation.

Thank you.

There would have been a dead silence and the only Japanese person who survived that would have gently woken the rest up one by one .

Cripes what utter drivel. Even worse he actually believes in this guff and in his own vision thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Okay, I got down as far as “internet of things” and gave up out of frustration coupled with boredom.

But please, WTF is an “internet of things” ??? I understand the words, but the sentence makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Ireland must have the most fertile land in the world with all BS that crowd produce!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Okay, I got down as far as “internet of things” and gave up out of frustration coupled with boredom.

But please, WTF is an “internet of things” ??? I understand the words, but the sentence makes no sense.

probably something to with the interweb
    Galen wrote: »
    Ireland must have the most fertile land in the world with all BS that crowd produce!

cows definitely cows

glad its not just me thinking its bs (i actually work with pdas and wireless job allocation and enterprise ireland arent exactely been helpful - in fact they seem to be hell bent on closeing the business down)

• Advertisement

Funny That , Mary Coughlan and Enterprise Ireland were themselves launching this 'smart economy' that Ryan babbles about yesterday ...and then This happened .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Funny That , Mary Coughlan and Enterprise Ireland were themselves launching this 'smart economy' that Ryan babbles about yesterday ...and then This happened .

The vegetable party of Ireland...rather apt I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

probably something to with the interweb

cows definitely cows

glad its not just me thinking its bs (i actually work with pdas and wireless job allocation and enterprise ireland arent exactely been helpful - in fact they seem to be hell bent on closeing the business down)

Yeah it seems quite confusing that they keep saying they are pushing these things when all their policies seem to inhibit its growth or stop it getting off the ground to begin with.

Are they that thick or are they just lying and hoping nobody understands what they are saying because its all very confusing to anyone that has any idea about the area :confused:

Advertisement