Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Figures on number of fans heading over to EPL matches

• 17-09-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine from England is writing a book/journal on the premier league era and he's asked me to write a short essay, around 1,000 to 1,500 words on the relationship between Ireland and the Premier League.

I said I'd do it as I'm finished college and doing nothing else and I thought a good starting point would be to find out the actual number of fans who head over every week. Google hasn't been my friend so far so I was wondering if anyone knows a website that would have the figures, or at least a rough estimate to the figures as it's obviously quite hard to calculate.

Thanks lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

dunno if youd be able to get those kinda figures anywhere

can tell you from personal experience flying to brum for villa games that thered generally be 50-100 other people going to matches on each flight (a mix of villa, wolves, liverpool and united)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Impossible to tell, even an estimate. OT is full of Irish idiots, I've seen Leprechaun costumes being marched down Sir Matt Busby Way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

RasTa wrote: »
    I OT is full of Irish idiots
    ah here we go

Trilla wrote: »
    ah here we go

That you Kel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ah here we go

Well, he has a point. Why would any idiot wear a leprechaun outfit to a Man Utd game???:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Yeah I kind of feared it would be hard to find out, its safe to presume its in the thousands though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Rea an article a while ago saying 5,000 a week to Britain, with Celtic, Man U and Liverpool being the main one's, I'd say 2,000 - 2,500 would be right for the Premier League.

Well, he has a point. Why would any idiot wear a leprechaun outfit to a Man Utd game???:rolleyes:

It was Paddy's day but Irish fans are generally embarassing, well the ones you notice anyway. I aim for about 8-10 games a season depending on $$$ although now a days it seems to be the top 4 + City.

Rea an article a while ago saying 5,000 a week to Britain, with Celtic, Man U and Liverpool being the main one's, I'd say 2,000 - 2,500 would be right for the Premier League.

Celtic have about 4 - 5,000 Irish season ticket holders though obviously they dont all travel over every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Celtic would have a lot of people travelling over but the (huge) majority of them would be from the north.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I would guess and say between 5k and 10k a week.

Dub13 wrote: »

This would be my guess, maybe more for the big games up as high as 20k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'm sure it would be okay to do at the "irish" club Celtic? Personally, that would be a more efficent and correct use of the word idiot there when reffering to the irish going over the water support. What about all the fans that dress up as superheroes etc, wear viking hats, have French flags (Cantona) etc, shout Argentina when Tevez or the likes are playing, have other country jerseys on in a club stadium of another country?

I'd never wear a leprechaun hat, and am not a fan of the ole ole crowd either for that matter, but every friggin converstion or debate on here lasts about two to three posts before theses pointless remarks come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dub13 wrote: »

I think I've heard the higher end of these figures mentioned in newspaper articles.

Not really sure how you validate it though. Is there any way of knowing how many of them are travel packages, or people who buy tickets directly or even have season tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

stovelid wrote: »
    I think I've heard the higher end of these figures mentioned in newspaper articles.

Not really sure how you validate it though. Is there any way of knowing how many of them are travel packages, or people who buy tickets directly or even have season tickets?

"Can all the lepregoons, please stand!"

I'm just taking the mitch, don't be offended.

I'm sure it would be okay to do at the "irish" club Celtic? Personally, that would be a more efficent and correct use of the word idiot there when reffering to the irish going over the water support. What about all the fans that dress up as superheroes etc, wear viking hats, have French flags (Cantona) etc, shout Argentina when Tevez or the likes are playing, have other country jerseys on in a club stadium of another country?

I'd never wear a leprechaun hat, and am not a fan of the ole ole crowd either for that matter, but every friggin converstion or debate on here lasts about two to three posts before theses pointless remarks come out.

Huh? What are you waffling about? How on earth can you not be an idiot if you are wearing a leprechaun costume to a United game, too drunk to even walk? I've no problem with country flags although you never see English ones at OT, think that's the same with Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

"Can all the lepregoons, please stand!"

them rogue Leprechauns letting the family down again :D....can't bring them anywhere;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

two methods of finding almost accurate numbers:

1. contact various airlines and ask them if they are willing to allow you to do a survey (over 2-3 weekends ..or just one weekend)

2. contact various travel agents who offer match packages to give you numbers or packages booked.

if people are co-operative then you should get some answers.....alternatively - stand in the airport from Thurs and count the people in football jerseys (and their friends) .... another method of getting approximate numbers. (of course that only counts for one Airport and possibly several destinations)

you could try count the amount of planes going to various cities in England on a fri evening/Sat morning and guess 60-70% are going to a game (apart from Business and visiting family its a decent amount of numbers)

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Celtic would have a lot of people travelling over but the (huge) majority of them would be from the north.

I hate to be pedantic but he did say 'Irish' . I would say its probably 50/50 myself going from personal experience.

Whats pointless remarks?? And i dont see why someone would wear a leprechaun outfit to a Celtic match either.
    Why refer to Irish based Celtic fans as idiots??? It says more about you than anything else imo. I have no issue with people supporting EPL teams but was just commenting on a point made by anothe rposter so please, get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Can we agree that you are a tool if you wear a leprechaun outfit full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Thanks lads for the replies, the consensus for EPL matches seems to be around or a bit above the 5k figure.

Pc Photo, those are good ideas for establishing the exact number but sound like a lot of work for something I'm not being paid to do.

I was kind of hoping someone else had already done all the hard work and published the results somewhere:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

carlop wrote: »
    Thanks lads for the replies, the consensus for EPL matches seems to be around or a bit above the 5k figure.

Pc Photo, those are good ideas for establishing the exact number but sound like a lot of work for something I'm not being paid to do.

I was kind of hoping someone else had already done all the hard work and published the results somewhere:D

Glad to help. Now you carry on while the rest of us head into another argument about why irish fans head abroad to watch foreign teams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Glad to help. Now you carry on while the rest of us head into another argument about why irish fans head abroad to watch foreign teams.
    Rabble rabble barstool fan. I go to LOI games and i is real fan.

Rabble rabble bad league dont have to go if i dont wants too.

Durrrp terribad fan you are, Sky generation imo, your FAKE.

Durrrp LOI teams are so bad, clubs in trouble all the time, FAI suck.

Now theres no need for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

I like you CHD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    I like you CHD.
    asl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

CHD wrote: »
    asl?

Hahaha.

7' tall, naked, half samoan half tongalise man with red hair and a big rash on the top of my leg shaped like an aulwon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

iregk wrote: »
    Hahaha.

7' tall, naked, half samoan half tongalise man with red hair and a big rash on the top of my leg shaped like an aulwon.

Its ginger tash. Get it right:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

4,000 fans from the Republic at any Man Utd home game is a figure I read/heard a couple of years back. I don't have a source but seems reasonable to me.

Liverpool would probably have a similiar percentage (smaller capacity).

The other clubs would be much smaller.

• Advertisement
Advertisement