Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Rental Websites

Options
  • 17-09-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

Could anyone direct me to any German websites which would be like daft.ie with regards to renting accomodation? I'm interested in working in Germany next summer but no matter how much I Google I can't seem to find anything useful!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

http://www.immobilienscout24.de/

check out http://www.toytowngermany.com as well, it's a site for ex-pats and you might find a place there...

Be sure you know what you're getting into. For example when using a letting agent, the renter has to pay a fee (of a months rent or more) to rent the place!

Also you usually have to paint the place before you leave, etc. Just read your rental contract carefully...

- S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Thanks a million for those links.

Deutschland here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

And don't be too shocked. In germany you usually have to pay 2 - 3 months rent deposit (deposit is calculated on the Kaltmiete) and a month rent in advance in addition to the agent fee (which in germany is paid by the tenant).

Rent also contains of two parts:

- Kaltmiete (just rent)
    - Nebenkosten (side costs like Bin charges, Cable TV, House Insurance, Electricity for public spaces (if apartment building), often also heating, upkeeping of garden and common areas (if apartment building).

These days the Nebenkosten can add around up to 50% of the actual rent. It might look something like 400 Euro rent + 180 Euro Nebenkosten.

The Nebenkosten are paid in advance every mont and the Landlord or Management company at the end of year have to provide you with a final and detailed list of the Nebenkosten for the passed year. Then you will find out if you get a refund on your money or if you have to make an additional payment to cover the expenses. They then usually adjust the Nebenkosten accordingly for the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You should also be aware that most apartments are rented without any content, so you have to budget for that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

mdebets wrote: »
    You should also be aware that most apartments are rented without any content, so you have to budget for that as well
    That includes no kitchens in many.

Many landlords will chance their arm by getting you to paint your apartment on leaving even if you were just there for a few months. This is illegal. It used to be the case but a law was added a while back. You only need to paint where necessary to leave the apartment in the same condition as you found it.

Also visit toytowngermany.com. It provides a discussion forum and lots of info for english speakers living in Germany.

The main thing to remember is that most landlords in Germany are c'unts who will screw you every way they can. Many Germans have legal insurance but you won't and they will know this. There is also an agency (can't remember the name) who you can sign up with where they will provide legal advice and support - this may or may not be necessary.

Try and find a professional management company to deal with. Myself and girlfriend rented direct from landlords before who were a$$holes to deal with. After that we dealt with a professional company who were a pleasure to deal with.

Just throwing stuff out, you will often have to give 3 months notice on leaving your apartment and many contracts e.g. phone, broadband, cable will be a minimum of 12 months (often 24 months).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Just throwing stuff out, you will often have to give 3 months notice on leaving your apartment and many contracts e.g. phone, broadband, cable will be a minimum of 12 months (often 24 months).

The 3 month notice is also on all contracts. SO if you take a mobile phone contract (which are 24 months btw) in Jan, you have to cancel it by 31st September or they will lock you into another 24 months!

All this BS paperwork and hassle with landlords is one of the main reasons I left Germany tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ilse

Hey,
    if you are looking for shared accommodation www.wg-gesucht.de is a very good website.
    Or you should try the homepages of regional newspapers.
    To which area are you planning to move?

Gretings!

Advertisement