Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rockets Limerick Price Increases

Options
  • 17-09-2009 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

A few weeks back myself and two friends went into Eddie Rockets in Limerick City for something to eat. We were pretty shocked when we saw the new prices on the menu. Despite 5% deflation in the consumer price index for the country as a whole, the price of nearly everything on the menu had gone up. Burgers were at least €7 and most of them were more than €8.

We just got up and walked out, and my friend made sure to let one of the staff know why.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

A few weeks back myself and two friends went into Eddie Rockets in Limerick City for something to eat. We were pretty shocked when we saw the new prices on the menu. Despite 5% deflation in the consumer price index for the country as a whole, the price of nearly everything on the menu had gone up. Burgers were at least €7 and most of them were more than €8.

We just got up and walked out, and my friend made sure to let one of the staff know why.

what has this to do with RIP OFF ? they clearly offered a menu at a price and you had the choice.

As for the consumer price index, it mean jack sh1t in the real world ... the costs of running a resturant has nothing to do with consumer prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

It's called empty pockets for a reason ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

whippet wrote: »
    what has this to do with RIP OFF ? they clearly offered a menu at a price and you had the choice.

As for the consumer price index, it mean jack sh1t in the real world ... the costs of running a resturant has nothing to do with consumer prices.

It's a rip off because the prices are too high! We had the choice, and we walked away. I am trying to inform other people to avoid the restaurant, as it might save them some time and money and some people would be too embarrassed to walk out. They might also drop their prices to more reasonable levels when people start walking out, and that will benefit us all as we can then enjoy their food for an acceptable price.

I sincerely doubt their costs of business have been going up lately, commodity prices are far lower than a year ago and unemployment is high (meaning they don't have to give their staff pay increases as they can just find someone else to do the job).

I think it's naive to say they are raising prices to cover the cost of business, in my opinion they're obviously just trying their hand at gouging out a little more out of consumers. I voted with my wallet in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Name changed to Eddie Sky-rockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

whippet wrote: »

Would the idiots posting the likes of the above quote please stop it. It serves nothing to the threads started. The OP has posted a genuine rip-off - a rip-off is a price requested not adequate for the product or service offered. Get over your little bytchin and ranting. It only adds more download KB to our allowances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Eddie Rockets should be no more expensive than MacDonalds or BK.
    I have had an Eddie Rockets burger, and its no better than a Big Mac and double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

New Restaurant opened in Loughboy, Kilkenny- Marios. Themed a bit like Eddie Rockets except about a third cheaper and bigger portions as well.
    Chips (real chips!) and a Quarter pounder and salad for like €7.50. Smae meal in 'Rockets i slike €11 or more.
    Eddie Rockets is nice but quite simply a rip-off for what it is. It's a pity really cos I actually like the place and their food. Could do way better if they had lower prices I think. No meal deal on offer either which is poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Never could understand the Eddie Rockets thingie, Overpriced burgers smothered in cheap salad cream or dry chicken dippers.. Would prefer to go to a proper chipper and feed the whole family for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Danno wrote: »
    Would the idiots posting the likes of the above quote please stop it. It serves nothing to the threads started. The OP has posted a genuine rip-off - a rip-off is a price requested not adequate for the product or service offered. Get over your little bytchin and ranting.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Eddie Rockets is absolute muck. The only place that can get away with charging high prices for burgers would be Jo'burger/Gourmet buger kitchen type places, where the product quality is high and the staff are good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I think the reason they get away charging that amount of money is that they are often the only place open when people come out of the pub/club. It has happened to me a few times. You come out from the pub after a few pints, need a bit of soakage, its 2 or 3 am, and McDonalds is closed, Dominos have stopped delivering, and in some cases even Abra-Kebabra had closed, and Eddie Rockets was the only one open.

It costs more to operate at night, as you need to hire security staff, so at 2am, I would argue that the price is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

syklops wrote: »
    It costs more to operate at night, as you need to hire security staff, so at 2am, I would argue that the price is justified.

Apart from a few more overheads whilst operating at night time like OT and security there is no difference in cost. Is the cost of the meat more expensive to purchase if sold after midnight? I think not.

RIP OFF CENTRAL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Apart from a few more overheads whilst operating at night time like OT and security there is no difference in cost. Is the cost of the meat more expensive to purchase if sold after midnight? I think not.

RIP OFF CENTRAL

well security isnt cheap, and as wages are already a huge overheard, if you pay your staff 20% more after midnight, then you are gonna have to make it back somehow. also i'd imagine insurance premiums would be affected by staying open late too.

thus the cost of serving food is dearer and its not unreasonable prices should reflect this.

Have you ever demanded lunch prices in a resturant in the evening ? It's the same principle.

well security isnt cheap, and as wages are already a huge overheard, if you pay your staff 20% more after midnight, then you are gonna have to make it back somehow. also i'd imagine insurance premiums would be affected by staying open late too.

thus the cost of serving food is dearer and its not unreasonable prices should reflect this.

Have you ever demanded lunch prices in a resturant in the evening ? It's the same principle.

But they charge a surcharge on top of the prices I was complaining about late at night to compensate for that. When I said most burgers were more than €8, that was before taking the surcharge into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was this after eating all the grub?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Was this after eating all the grub?

Lol no we took a look at the menu and then realized they had raised the prices so we left without ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Agree it is a rip off there.

People have being known to walk out without paying for years, either out the front door or out through the back. I think now you have to pay once you make your order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Eddie Rockets Dublin Price Decrease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

2 places to avoid: Eddie empty your pockets and O'Briens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galdikas

Eddie Rockets should be no more expensive than MacDonalds or BK.
    I have had an Eddie Rockets burger, and its no better than a Big Mac and double the price.
    Well except it takes about 3 times as long to do it in Eddie rockets. And BK is mauch nicer burgers if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 enur_c

sorry dude, but what a load of bull.
    the most expensive burger there is the double, which is 7.35, the rest are all <6.50.

and no meal deal? they have any burger/fries/drink during the week for 9 bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

enur_c wrote: »
    sorry dude, but what a load of bull.
    the most expensive burger there is the double, which is 7.35, the rest are all <6.50.

and no meal deal? they have any burger/fries/drink during the week for 9 bob

The first post defender guy....hang on while i get my popcorn?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I eat in Eddies once a week. I get a Hunger Buster meal deal for €9.99 and there's plenty feeding in it. To be fair, their burgers are way bigger than McDonalds or Supermacs so they're entitled to be a little bit pricier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

+1 for the hungerbuster. Nice enough and not bad value at €9.99. Can't quite imagine the kind of person that would walk out of a restarant because the price of a burger has gone up a few cent. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

syklops wrote: »

They have an extra charge after a certain time I think. I seem to remember 10% after midnight?

BTW enur_c
    Sorry to piss on your first post but according to their website - from the March 2009 Menu:
    The double is €8.25 (both the chicken and beef), most others are €7.45 with a few at €6.95

I eat their every now and again the burgers are pretty good but overpriced. If they were a couple of euro cheaper I'd go more often.

Anyone have a good idea of the cost of the ingredients? I'd say €1 max for a regular burger. Staff cost - perhaps €1 and other costs rent, light heat etc, another €1 so profit of at least €4 on a €7 burger?

As for the late night charge, I'm sure they more than cover the cost of security with how packed the place gets, and they aren't paying anything extra for rent, (the rent is effectively free for the night portion of the business) ingredients the same price. Maybe a small premium on normal staff, but they are so busy I'd say that cancels out.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Their burgers are a million times nicer than McD's or BK, another league. The best burgers I've ever had are Eddies so I'll pay a few quid extra. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

grenache wrote: »
    I eat in Eddies once a week. I get a Hunger Buster meal deal for €9.99 and there's plenty feeding in it. To be fair, their burgers are way bigger than McDonalds or Supermacs so they're entitled to be a little bit pricier.
    They are only 1/3rd pound burgers, and in another thread people were saying they had been getting smaller. McD's & BK often have big bugers on offer, I got a triple whopper in the UK, not sure if they do them here. At those prices you should be comparing with all these new gorumet type burger joints which usually get better reviews than eddies.

I only bother with the chicken burgers in eddies, I do prefer BK to their normal ones. I know a guy who like easi singles and hates other cheese, another mate prefers burgers over a fillet steak -each to their own. Budweiser is probably the biggest selling beer out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lola_fisticuffs

mfitzy wrote: »
    New Restaurant opened in Loughboy, Kilkenny- Marios. Themed a bit like Eddie Rockets except about a third cheaper and bigger portions as well.
    Chips (real chips!) and a Quarter pounder and salad for like €7.50. Smae meal in 'Rockets i slike €11 or more.
    Eddie Rockets is nice but quite simply a rip-off for what it is. It's a pity really cos I actually like the place and their food. Could do way better if they had lower prices I think. No meal deal on offer either which is poor.

Quarter pounder in marios is €6.50 with chips nd salad.. eddie rockets its lyk €6.00 for the burger nd what ever for the chips.......And marios is lyk eddie rockets bu less tacky!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

gpf101 wrote: »
    +1 for the hungerbuster. Nice enough and not bad value at €9.99. Can't quite imagine the kind of person that would walk out of a restarant because the price of a burger has gone up a few cent. Amazing.

Can't imagine the kind of person that wont walk out of a restaurant because of a price rise :rolleyes:

If you don't like the price, you leave. If we all did that then we might see a change in attitudes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 milnerrm

its a horrible place...far too expensive, i went in to one in dublin after a night out and its was aweful!! they made us wait at the door before we sat down too, like it was a three michelin star establishment...why couldn't we just take the grub and get out of there?!! we didn't stay

Advertisement